What's new

Game of Thrones Season 8 (2019) (1 Viewer)

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Re: Dany's "turn", if that's what you want to call it:

Though this was obviously brutal & unforgiving, I'm 100% fine with this - and though it was jarring & unexpected at first, when going back & re-watching that scene over again - it does make perfect sense within the context of the story & character.

I have never thought of - or seen - Dany as a "kind & gentle" ruler/leader. Though we've never seen brutality on the level of what she just did in EP05 (prior to this) - it was obvious throughout the series that she was going to take what she wanted & kill anyone who stood in her way - and did so. The fact that she initially had three huge & deadly dragons at her disposal made her extremely powerful, and there was never anyone that was too much of a match for her - with the exception of the White Walkers & Cersei's Scorpian crossbows.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I think the "Dany has always been a horrible person" comments are wrong. I think back on the things she did: Her brother was an A-1 arrogant jerk, who obviously would have made a horrible king. I don't remember anyone saying he was treated wrongly. The same goes for the guy who tried to chain her and steal her dragons. No one at the time said anything like "ugh, Dany is so ruthless and cruel". Everyone CHEERED when she burned the slaver alive, and her desire to end slavery was also lauded (it's a sure bet that none of the Lannisters other than Tyrion would care one bit about slavery). I don't fault her for having a certain level of ruthlessness. In the world of GOT, one must have that to obtain and maintain power. I agree that she crossed over the line with the killing of the civilians. It's also always been my attitude that NO one should rule from the Iron Throne. I don't believe in people being ruled by others.
I agree, she was a good person within the GOT universe.

That analogy doesn't work. Rey has been shown to be a good and decent person over and over. Dany has done terrible things over and over.
And also few scenes here and there, doesn't count. Again with the Rey example. In the Rian Johnson movie it was suggested she could go to the Dark Side, she was attracted to. Do you think people will be happy if she turns into the Dark Side at the end of episode 9?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
And also few scenes here and there, doesn't count. Again with the Rey example. In the Rian Johnson movie it was suggested she could go to the Dark Side, she was attracted to. Do you think people will be happy if she turns into the Dark Side at the end of episode 9?
No, fans wouldn't be happy because it wouldn't make sense with what came before as Rey hasn't done anything even remotely on par with the worst things that Dany has done.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
If that many people were disappointed with the last episode, I predict epic, Sopranos-finale-level outrage at the GoT finale. It's not going to end the way people want, or expect.

Also, that petition is absurd. People obviously have no idea how television or the creative arts works.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
That would be strange, but the Star Wars movies aren't filled with hard R-rated sex and violence and don't take place in a morally ambiguous universe.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That would be strange, but the Star Wars movies aren't filled with hard R-rated sex and violence and don't take place in a morally ambiguous universe.
1*09hD49IwGnTJkcW3tokJDQ.jpeg

Han disagrees. :rolling-smiley:

Also I never liked the Han Shot First meme. It should actually say Han is the only one who shot. Because he was a bad-a$$. But Han Shot First rolls off the tongue easier and fits better on a shirt, I guess.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled GoT programming...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
This seems like a possible solution

Han Shot First

Also I never liked the Han Shot First meme. It should actually say Han is the only one who shot. Because he was a bad-a$$. But Han Shot First rolls off the tongue easier and fits better on a shirt, I guess.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I can only speak for myself, but my interpretation of that scene wasn’t so much on her brother and if he deserved it or not, but the way Daenerys reacted
How was she supposed to react? "gee, I feel sad for my jerk brother who treated me like chattel"? She felt satisfied just as Sansa and Arya did when they killed people, yet no one thinks they're evil.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
How was she supposed to react? "gee, I feel sad for my jerk brother who treated me like chattel"? She felt satisfied just as Sansa and Arya did when they killed people, yet no one thinks they're evil.
One of the interesting things about the series is that there aren't really any "good guys." There are characters who do morally questionable things, and others who do even worse things.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One of the interesting things about the series is that there aren't really any "good guys." There are characters who do morally questionable things, and others who do even worse things.
Right, killing people is something that isn't foreign to many characters on that show.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I personally just didn’t sense the “inner giddiness” so to speak that I did when Daenerys is doing her thing or watching people suffer. I’m not saying that taking vengeance on someone who wronged you is horribly bad or that those people are terrible, but I just see something else on top of that with Daenerys. Also Daenerys seems to overreact and go straight to “I’LL FUCKING KILL YOU WITH MY DRAGONS!!!!” The Starks seem to have more of a sense of due process (by GoT standards) when they have to kill. She essentially told Tyrion that she would kill him (no doubt with her Dragon) if he “failed” her. Just because her employee isn’t getting things done when he’s trying like hell, she’s going to kill him.

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
Also Daenerys seems to overreact and go straight to “I’LL FUCKING KILL YOU WITH MY DRAGONS!!!!”

To be fair, Daenerys has been talking about destroying King's Landing with her dragons for several episodes now, and Tyrion has repeatedly talked her out of it. Since she also feels betrayed by Tyrion by going to Verys before coming to her -- not to mention that he has failed her at almost every possible opportunity -- his counsel no longer carries any weight with her.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
To be fair, Daenerys has been talking about destroying King's Landing with her dragons for several episodes now, and Tyrion has repeatedly talked her out of it. Since she also feels betrayed by Tyrion by going to Verys before coming to her -- not to mention that he has failed her at almost every possible opportunity -- his counsel no longer carries any weight with her.
Yeah, Tyrion and his diplomatic methods don’t necessarily make for a good “hand” for Daenerys and her agenda, but then she can simply not have him be her hand. No need to kill him. She torched the Tarly’s as well, after they had surrendered. Just because they wouldn’t bend the knee to her. Smh.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm the odd man out on that topic among the people I know who watch the series. I've never trusted her and have regularly felt her actions were somewhat disingenuous. Her turn, for me, was fully expected although I did hope they'd take more time before it happened. IMHO it was pretty obvious that she was becoming more and more unhinged the past couple of seasons.

Again... I'm odd man out. I believe it's because of the way she's changed following him telling her just who is really is. That Sansa pretty much hates and mistrusts her also has to carry some weight with him. Don't forget that Dany also wanted him to hide who he is and not even tell his sisters.
Dany is justified in not wanting the information to be told to her family. She knew they’d tell others, and they did.

Another thing that bothers me about Dany’s slaughter is how long it goes on. It wasn’t a brief lapse of self-control, it went on and on. I actually wondered how long Drogon could keep it up. The slaughter became a backdrop to other scenes.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I personally just didn’t sense the “inner giddiness” so to speak that I did when Daenerys is doing her thing or watching people suffer. I’m not saying that taking vengeance on someone who wronged you is horribly bad or that those people are terrible, but I just see something else on top of that with Daenerys.
Her objective actions prior to this season don't support what you're saying. She killed her enemies. That's SOP in her world. Sansa and Arya did the same thing.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I've wondered that several times. It's like they have some type of "eternal flame" mechanism. You'd think they'd run out of "fuel" and have to take a break to generate more at some point.
If you're going to go down the rabbit hole of "dragon metabolism doesn't make sense", you'll be lost. Dragons inherently violate physical laws. They're not supposed to even be able to fly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks