What's new

Game of Thrones Season 8 (2019) (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That's just too funny...

While I generally agree with this (although I wouldn't use "incompetent"):
"David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have proven themselves to be woefully incompetent writers when they have no source material (i.e. the books) to fall back on," the petition's originator wrote.
I disagree with this:
"This series deserves a final season that makes sense
It *does* make sense - it's just being delivered in a rather truncated fashion.

This will *never* happen:
Subvert my expectations and make it happen, HBO!"

I just don't get stuff like this. It's a TV series. It's fun to pick it apart and debate what you think'll happen or what's already happened but outside that "normal" viewers have little to no input on the outcome (other than segments that are obvious "fan service").

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
My issue with the last episode is that for most of the series, Dany has been a character to admire. I am saddened to see her go to the dark side.
That is why some people didn't see Danys change because they saw her as some sort of hero but that is never who she was. Everything she did has had ulterior selfish motives. She has demonstrated from the beginning that she could be cruel and enjoy it, that she is selfish and that she is a dictator. Also never fit to rule. In this story all signs of a mad queen.
After season 1 what was her goal? To get to westero's with an army as soon as possible to start reclaiming her throne. After season 2 this was done and she should have went to westeros. Instead she lost focus of her goals, proving she is not fit to rule and hung around playing slave queen for 4 more seasons.
And were her actions freeing slaves really noble? No because she always expected something in return she stayed there set herself up as a queen on a huge throne and passed out judgements. Her real motivations were not freeing slaves but to be worshipped.
Once she gets to Westero's we see her need to be worshipped more clearly as she goes around screaming "Bend the Knee" to everyone. After she realized no one will worship her but the unsullied and dothraki and lost Jon its easy to see her madness come out completely. I saw this side of her character from the beginning and never liked her after season 2. I was afraid I would hate this show because they were going to let her win but It appears in this weeks episode she finally gets whats coming to her.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That is why some people didn't see Danys change because they saw her as some sort of hero but that is never who she was. Everything she did has had ulterior selfish motives. She has demonstrated from the beginning that she could be cruel and enjoy it, that she is selfish and that she is a dictator. Also never fit to rule. In this story all signs of a mad queen.
After season 1 what was her goal? To get to westero's with an army as soon as possible to start reclaiming her throne. After season 2 this was done and she should have went to westeros. Instead she lost focus of her goals, proving she is not fit to rule and hung around playing slave queen for 4 more seasons.
And were her actions freeing slaves really noble? No because she always expected something in return she stayed there set herself up as a queen on a huge throne and passed out judgements. Her real motivations were not freeing slaves but to be worshipped.
Once she gets to Westero's we see her need to be worshipped more clearly as she goes around screaming "Bend the Knee" to everyone. After she realized no one will worship her but the unsullied and dothraki and lost Jon its easy to see her madness come out completely. I saw this side of her character from the beginning and never liked her after season 2. I was afraid I would hate this show because they were going to let her win but It appears in this weeks episode she finally gets whats coming to her.
Pretty much what I've been saying about her all along to a coworker who's hung up on her and the dragons. She *hated* last week's "turn". I thought "It's about time...."

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Pretty much what I've been saying about her all along to a coworker who's hung up on her and the dragons. She *hated* last week's "turn". I thought "It's about time...."
Yep that's the thing dragons are cool so everyone likes her and then she frees slaves so they think she is automatically good but they are missing the big picture that everything has always been all about her being worshipped as a goddess and she will let nothing stand in that way and when she can't have it she goes mad and tries to destroy everything and everyone.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here is why it's upsetting. Imagine Star Wars Episode 9, at the last 20 minutes they turn Rey into the Dark Side.

...And Jaime, they worked so hard and so many years to redeem him. They throw that out.
... Varys and Tyrion being friends for so many years. The execution, the way they talked, the betrayal, all handled poorly.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I would have been OK with an attack by Dany after the surrender - if she had just gone after Cersei by destroying the castle & left the rest of the city alone....which she easily could have done.

But that’s the whole difference. I don’t speak for everyone, but I feel all of the fans complaining about Dany’s “turn” would’ve been ok with her rage overwhelming her and causing her to attack the city and the armies. They would have been ok with women and children dying as collateral damage. But it wasn’t collateral. She went for the fleeing civilians first. And Cersei last, and only killed her by accident. She killed some soldiers along the way, but the bulk of the carnage was directed at unarmed women and children, with some men, all running away from her.

That must’ve been intentionally written to make her a villain. Writers’ choice, just not one I liked.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
That said, there is some evidence that it was premeditated. Before the battle, Tyrion works out his plan with Jaime to signal the surrender by ringing the bells. He then begs Dany to call off the attack if the city surrendered. She counters his argument saying the citizens chose who to follow and they were not like the slaves in Mereen who rose up and killed the masters. Tyrion begs again and she still refuses to agree to not attack a city that had surrendered.

Saying she did this out of rage may be making an excuse for her, if there is ever an excuse for holocaust. It’s all just shades of awful.

Actually, she DID agree to stop attacking when the bells rang.

Watch the scene again where Tyrion begs her. It's subtle, but after Tyrion begs, Dany (reluctantly) gave Greyworm a nod, basically saying "ok, surrender when the bells ring".

The camera on Dany when the bells ring shows her build up of rage was a very sudden thing. She essentially agreed to recognize a surrender, but her rage got the better of her.

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
:rolleyes: Oh, pardon me. Off to play the grand piano are you? The dismissive 'games are a waste of time' attitude tells me all I need to know I guess.

Yes, it's a waste of MY time. I didn't say it was a waste of anyone else's, and I acknowledged that the things I spend my time doing may be a waste of time to those who play video games. So you didn't learn all you needed to know from a partial comment, even though the entire comment was on display. The fact you think you did tells me all I need to know.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I think the "Dany has always been a horrible person" comments are wrong. I think back on the things she did: Her brother was an A-1 arrogant jerk, who obviously would have made a horrible king. I don't remember anyone saying he was treated wrongly. The same goes for the guy who tried to chain her and steal her dragons. No one at the time said anything like "ugh, Dany is so ruthless and cruel". Everyone CHEERED when she burned the slaver alive, and her desire to end slavery was also lauded (it's a sure bet that none of the Lannisters other than Tyrion would care one bit about slavery). I don't fault her for having a certain level of ruthlessness. In the world of GOT, one must have that to obtain and maintain power. I agree that she crossed over the line with the killing of the civilians. It's also always been my attitude that NO one should rule from the Iron Throne. I don't believe in people being ruled by others.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Last edited:

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
The potential for horrific behavior can be within a person long before it finally manifests. Rarely when serial killers are caught and their neighbors and friends are interviewed, do people say, "I knew it all along." They are usually shocked. Even the worst people are usually pretty decent people until they aren't.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I think the "Dany has always been a horrible person" comments are wrong. I think back on the things she did: Her brother was an A-1 arrogant jerk, who obviously would have made a horrible king. I don't remember anyone saying he was treated wrongly.
I can only speak for myself, but my interpretation of that scene wasn’t so much on her brother and if he deserved it or not, but the way Daenerys reacted and just a general vibe that she gave me and that she continued to give me throughout the whole series. It reminded me of that voice over line of Clive Owen’s from Sin City about enjoying killing, not because they were bad people, not because they deserved it, but to just enjoy the bloodthirsty slaughter of it all. I don’t remember the exact lines, as I haven’t seen that film in years.

On the other hand, you have Ned Stark and Jon Snow executing people by beheading, and you can feel their reluctance and that they really don’t want to be doing such a thing. You can even feel the conflict in Theon when he committed his evils.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks