1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones Season 8 (2019)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Sam Favate, May 23, 2018.

1. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

Well, I for one really loved the premiere. As others have observed it was more of a table-setting episode. I thought the production design was well done, and really liked some of the establishing shots of Winterfell.

One of the major themes that they are establishing this season involves the idea that those who have wronged others and have been wronged themselves are all being thrust together in this epic battle. Who will rise above their own sense of importance and let the sins of the past be forgotten is one of the big questions the series will be posing for its characters. Redemption stories have always resonated strongly with me, and I am anticipating that narrative play out for some of the characters. It will be interesting to see who can forgive and who can face up to the wrongs they have done in the past.

BTW, the sequence involving the deserted castle and the 'warning' that the Night King left behind for Tormund and Beric was one of the creepier things I've ever seen on GoT. I was trying to recall if we seen the eight element counter- clockwise spiral before, but I don't remember if we have or not.

Really excited to have the series back and I honestly enjoyed everything in the premiere. I need to revisit the opening credit sequence as I was ready to get into the show, vs. really poring over every detail of the credits. The idea of the holds becoming fortresses was pretty clear, and if I'm not mistaken something involving the Winterfell crypt, but I'm sure there were other things that escaped my first viewing.

Oh yeah, where the heck was Brienne?

- Walter.

benbess and Tino like this.
  2. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    That was wonderful. I dream of someday watching an entire Star Wars trilogy with beautiful, inciting dialogue like this.

Mrs. Carab and Tino like this.
  3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

On the wall of the dragonglass cave under Dragonstone. There were two other times that were pretty close: in the third season, when the Night's Watch made it to the Fist of the First Men, there was a seven element spiral. And at the weirwood tree where the Children of the Forest created the Night King, there was also a seven element spiral.

4. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Damn fine episode. Paid off or set up so many character moments. That last scene with Jamie riding in and turning to see Bran was the highlight of the episode.

Greg.K likes this.
  5. JimmyO

JimmyO Berserker
    Supporter

Jim
    Good question. Gwendolin Christie was credited in the opening, but I didn't see her in the episode. I wonder if they have done away with telegraphing who will be in the episode by just showing the entire current cast list.

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Can you keep your SWs complaints in the SWs threads please.

7. Message #67 of 1094 Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    Since these guys are doing the next Star Wars trilogy, this was not intended as a complaint but rather a compliment to the dialogue in the show relevant to this thread. And a hope for more of it in their next gig.

SamT, Mrs. Carab, Tino and 1 other person like this.
  8. JimmyO

JimmyO Berserker
    Supporter

Jim
    My two favourite bits of dialogue from this episode:

Arya: How did you survive a knife through the heart?
    Jon: I didn't.

Theon: What is dead can never die.
    Yara: Kill the bastards anyway.

Carabimero likes this.
  9. Carabimero

Carabimero Producer
    Supporter

Alan
    There wasn't a false note of dialogue in that entire hour. All kinds of gems, one right after another.

Mrs. Carab likes this.
  10. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    Shouldn't Jorah be Lord of Bear Island now? He was pardoned by the Queen.

Sam Posten likes this.
  11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Is there a reason that they changed the opening credits? I'm assuming they've been the same for 70 episodes so, unless events in the show demand a change to the 'map', it seems weird to change them for the last 8 episodes.

12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I wouldn't want to go up against cousin Lyanna.

They actually haven't been the same for 70 episodes. This was the most radical change, to be sure, but they've changed every season, and sometimes within seasons, based on the featured locations for those stretch of episodes.

This episode took place in Winterfell and King's Landing, so that's why those were the two locations we saw.

Sean Bryan, Sam Posten and TravisR like this.
  13. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    I like the updated opening credits. Same clockwork concept, but more detail and we get to go inside the various locations. The astrolabe has been updated to include recent Westeros history. And I'm assuming it will follow the advancement of the Night King's army and see other events as the season progresses. I wonder if the sigil behind the Iron Throne will change at any point?

14. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    There was another location shown that I never saw before just before they popped into Winterfell.

15. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    That was Last Hearth, seat of House Umber. Ned Umber was the boy who asked for more horses and wagons for his men and was sent back there to get them - only to end up (un)dead and stuck on a wall at the end.

16. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    "Keep your Queen warm"????

Really????

Josh Dial likes this.
  17. albert_m2

albert_m2 Second Unit

Albert
    Wow.

Dheiner likes this.
  18. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    Overall, I thought it was a GREAT episode. A good season premiere even for a short six-episode final season. There wasn’t a dull or slow moment in my eyes.

Having said that, I didn’t really “see the money on the screen” so to speak. It looked like a regular ol’ GoT episode to me. And this certainly didn’t feel like a movie in scope. The producers have been hyping that stuff up the last two years, and it just seems like business as usual.

But really, I DID like the episode and am looking forward to five more. I’m just not excepting anything other that a good wrap up that is consistent with the previous 67 episodes.
    lol! I felt the same way! I’ve been anticipating their reunion since Sandor showed up not-dead in season six. Their exploits together are my favorite scenes in the whole series. But yeah, they said EXACTLY what they should have said to each other. :lol: I DO hope we see some more of them together before the end.

SamT likes this.
  19. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

Well done episode. I thought the dragon was looking at Jon as if to say "I know you're a Targaryen". Him being able to ride should have given him and Dany a clue. They didn't waste any time having Sam tell Jon about his true heritage. I liked the way Arya was able to sneak up on Jon. Her weapon design is intriguing.

20. johnnybear

johnnybear Stunt Coordinator

John
    I'll be able to watch season 8 tonight live for the first time! I've been watching the other seasons on DVD as lent to me by a friend who hasn't asked for them back yet and I've had the first four sets for at least eighteen months!!!
    JB