What's new

Game of Thrones Season 8 (2019) (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Further predictions:
People I think will definitely die:
Cersei
Jamie
Brienne
Dany
Her last dragon
Greyworm
The Mountain
Euron
Quyburn(is that his name?)
The Iron Throne
People I think will probably die:
Jon Snow
Arya
The Hound
Sansa
People I think are relatively safe:
Bran
Tyrion
Varys
Gendry
Davos
Sam and Gilly
Tormund

Just kind of vague guesses, I’m sure I’m wrong with a few.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, brace yourself. The director of the next episode is the same director as 8x03 The Long Night.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What exactly are we supposed to be "bracing" for?
I believe that was the episode that many complained was shot so darkly you could hardly see anything.

Not sure if that's on the director or the cinematographer.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I believe that was the episode that many complained was shot so darkly you could hardly see anything.

Probably a conscience decision with both. I for one don’t understand why people only just started to complain about this style as it’s been prevalent in film and tv for what feels like years now to my vague reckoning, and I’ve gotten used to it and I barely notice it anymore.

The bigger issue I feel people are really complaining about is the “macro-blocking” or whatever it’s called that had to do with HBO’s airing signal going out compressed. I may be using the wrong words but I’m not totally knowledgeable about the nitty gritty. I watched episode four on HBO Go on my laptop, and seeing the episode three clips again via the recap, the picture looked MUCH better than watching it live on my tv the week before. It was still stylisticly dark, but the picture was MUCH clearer.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

I'd put it more on the cinematographer and show runners than the director, although he should still have significant input into that decision.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

Complaints about the darkness of the cinematography weren't made about other episodes done by the same director, so I don't see why anyone would assume that it's something that has to be "braced" for.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Complaints about the darkness of the cinematography weren't made about other episodes done by the same director, so I don't see why anyone would assume that it's something that has to be "braced" for.
The next episode is in plain sun, nobody should be worried about the darkness. Besides, "8x03 The Long Night" had no darkness issues. It was light properly.

Brace yourself because it could be a bad episode, just like how "8x03 The Long Night" was a bad episode.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The next episode is in plain sun, nobody should be worried about the darkness. Besides, "8x03 The Long Night" had no darkness issues. It was light properly.

Brace yourself because it could be a bad episode, just like how "8x03 The Long Night" was a bad episode.
IMHO "The Long Night" was "lesser" because it was written poorly not because of poor lighting choices or direction. The direction was the least of my complaints about that one.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Game of Thrones' Emilia Clarke 'does not drinketh the Starbucks tea' in cup-gate

emilia-clarke.jpg

By the way, I'm not a conspiracy theory guy but there is a conspiracy here! I think it was on purpose. There is no way no one saw it. Forget the post production, color timing and all that. We could say someone missed it on a 2D TV image. But there is no way that no one in person on the set did not see it. It is not possible to have a cup on the table that close and not see it. The first person, Emilia Clarke should have seen it. Especially that the table is relatively empty.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
IMHO "The Long Night" was "lesser" because it was written poorly not because of poor lighting choices or direction. The direction was the least of my complaints about that one.
I just symbolically keep the director responsible. He makes the choices. But they probably don't have much power in this production.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Game of Thrones' Emilia Clarke 'does not drinketh the Starbucks tea' in cup-gate
By the way, I'm not a conspiracy theory guy but there is a conspiracy here! I think it was on purpose. There is no way no one saw it. Forget the post production, color timing and all that. We could say someone missed it on a 2D TV image. But there is no way that no one in person on the set did not see it. It is not possible to have a cup on the table that close and not see it. The first person, Emilia Clarke should have seen it. Especially that the table is relatively empty.

I've seen a bunch of comments along the lines of "They did it on purpose!!!11 Starbucks paid them!".

The only problem with this is that it's not actually a Starbucks cup, it's just that Starbucks is the default coffee company people think of first. If Starbucks paid them it would be their cup.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And besides, if it’s as terrific as “8x03 The Long Night” I’ll be very happy. That episode I thought was one of the best in the entire series.

Long Live The Night!:D
I'm with you as I don't agree with the negative comments about that episode except for the darkness and compression issues with some scenes.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only problem with this is that it's not actually a Starbucks cup, it's just that Starbucks is the default coffee company people think of first. If Starbucks paid them it would be their cup.
What if instead of coffee it was water?.......what could it be called?!

Seriously, if there is a table in front of me, I see everything that's on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks