What's new

Game of Thrones Season 8 (2019) (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Seems like there's a setup for Jamie to kill Cersei. I recall the prophecy about who would kill her.
I also think this episode confirmed Jamie is going to kill Cersei. And only because of how badly they handled it! Unless they are misdirecting but I doubt it. We are believed that after sleeping with Brienne he suddenly in few hours does a 180 and goes bad again and is going to be with Cersei? It's an obviously very bad setup for Jamie to kill Cersei and they are thinking they are surprising us.

The funny thing was the producers insisting in the behind-the-scenes that Jamie has chosen Cersei. All I could do was to shout at the TV, LIAR! If it turns out true, as far as I remember, this will be the first time that they intentionally lie in a behind-the-scene video. They are not supposed to lie in the making of videos! :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'd be okay with the cup's likely digital erasure in the BD/4K release...but I hope they keep it in the deleted scenes/bloopers segment for posterity. It wouldn't be the first alteration as I believe a head on a spike was digitally altered in the first or second season because it resembled a...political figure.

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
And one thought occurred to me, and I told them, "You know this isn't a show that's known for its happy endings, right?"

Hmmmmm..... now why does that sound familiar? I wonder if it could be because I said the EXACT SAME THING in this very thread in message #143 on April 22nd.

I find that EXTREMELY unlikely given that this show is not given to happy endings.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Goofs are COMMONPLACE in movies and TV shows. I respect the fact that those who make them are simply human like the rest of us. Hope you didn't lose respect for those who made one of the greatest movies in history:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ben-hur-bloopers-can-you-784963

Or a well liked TV show:

Yes, they are. Even on big productions (although they all have people on the set who are supposedly looking for these things).

The big difference is those guys didn't have the ability to scrub the goofs out of the image. The Munsters also shot and fully posted an episode a week to keep up with the air dates. I have to believe the producers of those productions knew about the issues but just couldn't do anything about them. It happens.

They spent a year and a half in production/post for 6 episodes of GoT and, if there wasn't a different take that could have been used, could have dropped a few $$ to digitally remove a coffee cup. With as many eyes as are on this series before it airs I find it hard to believe no one noticed. I'd like to think it *was* noticed and brought up but the showrunners chose to ignore it. Maybe it was too close to air when it was noticed so they couldn't fix it but will for the disc releases and update the streaming version.

I'm waiting on the "We left that in on purpose" quote...

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If they saw the cup before the episode aired they would have probably cgi'd it out. That would be a very basic effects shot for them.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
They were both always hopeless and should face a very violent death as they justly deserve such a death.

One of the best lines from this recap:

"...and there, seated behind the one on the lead ship, is Euron Greyjoy himself, who for the rest of this recap will be referred to as Urine Greyjoy, to reflect the fact that once we get rid of him, we will all feel a tremendous sense of relief."

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Yes, they are. Even on big productions (although they all have people on the set who are supposedly looking for these things).

The big difference is those guys didn't have the ability to scrub the goofs out of the image. The Munsters also shot and fully posted an episode a week to keep up with the air dates. I have to believe the producers of those productions knew about the issues but just couldn't do anything about them. It happens.

They spent a year and a half in production/post for 6 episodes of GoT and, if there wasn't a different take that could have been used, could have dropped a few $$ to digitally remove a coffee cup. With as many eyes as are on this series before it airs I find it hard to believe no one noticed. I'd like to think it *was* noticed and brought up but the showrunners chose to ignore it. Maybe it was too close to air when it was noticed so they couldn't fix it but will for the disc releases and update the streaming version.

I'm waiting on the "We left that in on purpose" quote...

You'll be waiting forever:

Game of Thrones art director says coffee cup gaffe is being “blown out of proportion”
For the second week in a row, Game of Throne’s creative staff have come under fire...whereas last week’s battle royale was so dark it could barely be seen, last night’s episode included an unexpected cameo from a rogue coffee cup...in a statement to Variety, GOT art director Hauke Richter said the gaffe is being “blown out of proportion [because] it has not happened with Thrones so far”...Richter also spoke to TMZ and reiterated that it was an innocent mistake...“We are usually so diligent that this does not happen,” Richter explained. “The shoot was very hard and demanding and it is likely that after a very tiring episode three shoot, this was simply overlooked by an exhausted crew.”

Richter also clarified that the cup was not from Starbucks, but rather from a local coffee shop in Banbridge, Northern Ireland, where the episode films...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...181629872.html

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here I am discussing dragon strategy. Sigh. Beats calibration arguments. But in the last episode didn't we see dragons dive-bombing straight down? Why can't Dany do that right at Cersei's palace before the big crossbows get turned around? (And likewise with the fleet)

And, as far as predictions go. I was wrong about Night King going to King's Landing while wights attack Winterfell (though, I think that would have been a more surprising turn of events, and withheld the destruction of Night King for finale at Kings Landing). I'm on board with Jaime killing Cersei. Dany basically going mad (like dad) and being killed by her love, Jon Snow. And Snow abdicating rule to Sansa... and Tyrion. Yeah, that's the ticket. But I hope for surprises, as well.
I like your predictions.

I think it'll be Tyrion on the throne. No Sansa. Of all of them I think he's played the game the best while all the time to not play at all. He's also the most unwilling to take the throne, even more unwilling than Jon. Varys will be his hand. Grey Worm will head the armies.

Sansa will survive and be named Warden of the North.

I think Dany and Drogon will be killed, possibly saving Jon but, most likely, in a blood lust vengeance type attack. After all, she is showing signs of the family curse.

Jon? He's not been a good leader in spite of the loyalty he commands. If he survives I'd guess he'll refuse the throne and go north to be King of the Wildlings. He does seem to like them the best.

I would like to see Arya kill Cersei and be forced to kill Jamie in the process as he attempts to defend her against that whirlwind.

But what do I know... Last season I told the coworker who got me hooked on this series waaaay back in season 3 that it'd be fun if everyone was killed and the closing shot was the Night King on the throne. She didn't like that one bit...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
One of the best lines from this recap:

"...and there, seated behind the one on the lead ship, is Euron Greyjoy himself, who for the rest of this recap will be referred to as Urine Greyjoy, to reflect the fact that once we get rid of him, we will all feel a tremendous sense of relief."
I read that one this morning and got a chuckle from it.

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
I like your predictions.

I think it'll be Tyrion on the throne. No Sansa. Of all of them I think he's played the game the best while all the time to not play at all. He's also the most unwilling to take the throne, even more unwilling than Jon. Varys will be his hand. Grey Worm will head the armies.

Sansa will survive and be named Warden of the North.

I think Dany and Drogon will be killed, possibly saving Jon but, most likely, in a blood lust vengeance type attack. After all, she is showing signs of the family curse.

Jon? He's not been a good leader in spite of the loyalty he commands. If he survives I'd guess he'll refuse the throne and go north to be King of the Wildlings. He does seem to like them the best.

I would like to see Arya kill Cersei and be forced to kill Jamie in the process as he attempts to defend her against that whirlwind.

But what do I know... Last season I told the coworker who got me hooked on this series waaaay back in season 3 that it'd be fun if everyone was killed and the closing shot was the Night King on the throne. She didn't like that one bit...

My predictions are that Daenerys will die and Jon Snow will sit on the Iron Throne. Otherwise, what is any of this for?

I also predict that Jaime will kill Cersei while protecting Tyrion from her. That would just be poetic in the epic tragedy tradition.

AcesHighStudios

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike Williams
Also, the fact that "Game of Thrones" is not know for a lot of silly mistakes and gaffes and easily fixed errors is precisely why the reaction to the Starbucks coffee cup is NOT being blown out of proportion. Their high standard of excellence is why this goofy mistake is so surprising.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I rewatched the last episode. I liked it more the second time and I think it's going to be bloodbath over the next two episodes. I think all of the Lannisters are going to die. The Hound and his brother will die in mortal combat between the two of them. Sansa and Bran are the only two Starks that I think will survive, however, Arya is a survivor so it wouldn't surprise me if she makes it out alive after killing Cersei. I think Jon Snow is in danger, but he will not die due to the Lannisters while Dany is headed towards destruction due to her need for complete power. A lot of political/power turmoil will thin out the ranks as allies will turn on each other.

richm41

Auditioning
Real Name
RichM
Since we are in the predicting business.

Not sure how much time has passed between Yara being freed and re-taking the Iron Islands. But I think she had time to rebuild a fleet and she is the one who destroys Euron's fleet and eventually kills Euron.

I also predict that she sends a fleet of ships to ferry additional troops to Kings Landing. Aren't the Second Son's still available to Dany? Others?

As for Cersei, I think an interesting twist would be for Jaime to be killed sometime before reaching Cersei by Arya. And Arya assumes his identity and kills Cersei. I just think that would fulfill all the prophecies and be an interesting thing to see.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Looks like they've already gone back and removed the coffee cup.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/06/gam...bucks-cup-left-in-final-cut-of-episode-4.html

hbonow2.png

cupgone2.png

Last edited:

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Gerdes
I was talking to some people yesterday at a party about the show, and everyone has their own ideas about what will happen, what should happen, what they want to happen. To a person, every one of them described an ending that placed Jon or Dany on the throne, with Cersei's armies defeated. And one thought occurred to me, and I told them, "You know this isn't a show that's known for its happy endings, right?"

While it is true that the show has heaped abuse on its characters, it has also saved its most masochistic endings for the characters who have been the most unrepentantly awful, most notably Joffrey and Ramsay.

I don't have any real sense of who will end up on the throne on the end but I can't believe, knowing all she has done, we won't see Cersei die, and I expect it won't be an easy death.

I'd also argue that the story only ends once, and we haven't yet arrived there. It remains to be seen what sort of ending it will be, but considering how the Night King was dispatched, I expect it will be a bit more conventional, twist-free ending than some are expecting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks