1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones Season 8 (2019)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Sam Favate, May 23, 2018.

1. Message #301 of 1095 Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Greg.K

Greg.K Cinematographer

Greg K.
    I agree, after building up the Night King as a threat for more than 7 seasons now, this battle needed to be more impactful and the victory to come at more of a cost.

And I'm surprised at how linear this season is so far. Three episodes to build to fighting Night King, defeat him, now on to Cersei. I expected more to be going on at the same time. A three way fight over the penultimate couple of episodes would have been pretty incredible.

BobO'Link, Carabimero and Jeff Flugel like this.
  2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I sat down today and watched this season's first three episodes. A very intense third episode.

Tino and benbess like this.
  3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Just to double-confirm. I’m watching in my living room now, a Samsung KS8000 with the DVR and HBO Go. Switching between the DVRd episode and HBO Go versions is like going between blu ray and a blocky YouTube video. It’s not even close. The broadcast version (which I watched and the dvr accurately captured) is a travesty of poor compression. I guess broadcast can do average lit scenes okay but doesn’t do dark scenes well at all. I mostly watch sports on tv so I never really watched this kind of episode over cable before (and obviously all my movie viewing is through discs and streaming services).

Tino and Sam Posten like this.
  4. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I didn't watch this series faithfully over the years so can somebody tell me why after the battle and before sun up, the Witch would take off her neck bracelet to basically kill herself of old age?

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  6. Message #306 of 1095 Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    If she had not committed suicide, Jon and/or Ser Davos had promised to string her up for burning Shireen as a "sacrifice".
    Also, either Arya or Gendry would probably want to kill her for buying Gendry from the Brothers without Banners.

7. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Also: she seemed to be saying that everyone at Winterfell was there for a purpose, in service of the Lord of Light, who evidently wanted the Night King defeated. Hers was presumably to help in the battle; once the Night King was killed, her purpose was completed, and there was no need to continue living/cheat death with the help of the necklace.

8. MarkMel

MarkMel Cinematographer

9. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

I like that the cinematographer shot to a cinematic standard, rather than dumbing it down to "mere TV".

Craig S and Dheiner like this.
  10. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I do think they need to separate anyone who criticizes the episode for being dark (of which I am not one) from those that complained of the horrible macroblocking, artifacting and poor compression of the cable feed. The latter rendered it nearly unwatchable. My two subsequent viewings via HBO Go were a revelation compared to the cable showing (and yes I do have an hd cable subscription).

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Just finished watching Episode 3 so allow me to rant in the same manner many of you have already.

From listening to Howard Stern's anger over the episode to reading the huge amount of Internet complaints, I knew going in this episode would not look great.

However, I became increasingly pissed off that between the murk, the smoke, and the compression that HBO adds to the feed, I could not see a damn thing.

The battle sequences were horrendous to watch. I couldn't tell who was fighting who, nor who was getting killed.

It really sucks that these young filmmakers are coming out of school thinking they can change the cinematic world by filming in natural light.

The episode itself...

Did HBO accidentally show us Episode 6 on Sunday night?

I mean, this could have been the finale for all I knew.

Hard to believe there are three more episodes.

From what I could see of it, this was an epic, emotionally gripping episode. Very well done.

However, you really have to disband all belief when...

Ayra comes out of NOWHERE -- and I mean NOWHERE to leap on the Night King and stab him dead. I mean, was she at least wearing a "face" to disguise herself? Hard to tell.

SamT likes this.
  12. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Let's face it, you have to disband all belief to accept this series as a whole.:)

13. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Yeah, I suppose so...

I was just hoping there was a little more cleverness -- a little more effort --- put into that particular scene spoiled above.

14. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I thought that scene was perfect!

Danny Burk, Sean Bryan, Tino and 2 others like this.
  15. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    Yes that is also my problem with the episode. It's a huge thing, it cannot be dismissed due to suspension of disbelief or anything else. This episode failed. They may think that it is a great surprise, yes it is a great surprise but it is not satisfying when you resolve such a huge story-line with a 2 sec surprise. You have to built on stuff. As I said before, the best kill was Lyanna Mormont.

I heard a joke somewhere else. The first people who died in the battle was the lighting crew.

BobO'Link likes this.
  16. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    It was revealed in the premiere of season 6 that Melisandre was actually a very old woman (the showrunners say she's centuries old) and her youthful appearance was the product of magic from the necklace.

While I think that there could have been more moving parts to make it a more interesting resolution, I think there was ample examples shown about Arya's ninja stealth skills, both in this episode and the last..

Tino and Neil Middlemiss like this.
  17. Greg.K

Greg.K Cinematographer

Greg K.
    I didn't mind the Arya resolution at all. It should have been obvious that this was where she was headed after the pep talk from Melisandre.

18. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    I can appreciate the issues may had with the murkiness/darkness of the battle sequences, but I didn't really have an issue with it (I do prefer a few more orienting shots during battle sequences to recapture bearings, but I also like the way the chaos of battle can be conveyed with the blur of action). I am also a fan of more naturalistic lighting even if it's at the expense of detail - which is how I found this episodes.

I was thrilled at the Arya payoff. I knew that's where the episode was headed based on the Melisandre chat (like @Greg.K above), and we'd seen how silently and stealthily she can move, with speed, in previous episodes and even earlier in this episode, so it mostly added up to me. I also LOVED how it subverted some of the expectations about what the big series battle/ending would be about. I really enjoy the rug being pulled from under an audience like that, and I think it makes narrative sense to elevate Cersei as the ultimate prize more than the White Walkers.

While the Battle of the Bastards had more emotional wallop for me, the Battle of Winterfell was still a terrifically staged event. I think the first 5 or so minutes of the episode - without dialogue as the many stand at the moment before the storm of battle - are among my favorite of the show. I felt the tension, apprehension and fear of even the bravest warriors. I was hooked from that moment.

I think in the context of the series, and this final season, some of the grumbles about the episode will disappear, though I get where folk are coming from. It just really worked for me and for something of this scale and scope and logistical filming and narrative storytelling challenges to have a few bumps along the way is okay :)

Sean Bryan and Tino like this.
  19. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    I did not have any problems with the episode. Even the darkness did not bother me. I think the filmmakers simply wanted to show an over-all chaotic battle interspersed with the odd moments with people we recognized. We could not see a lot of the detail because we were not meant to.

I loved the ending with Arya. If they had shown her using her faceless man routine, it would have negated the surprise of her leaping out. Also, the Zombie followers of the Night King seemed kind of slow on the uptake so they would have been easily fooled.

It does not bother me that this plot point (Night King/Winter is coming) has now been resolved. It seems sudden to some, but it has been going on for 8 seasons. As we look back and re-watch the episode, it may seem like a pat ending. But in real time, I thought the suspense was excruciating.

20. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, I'm way more interested in the interactions and confrontations between the human characters that I've "known" for seven seasons rather than people fighting some snow zombies that really only started to be featured last season.

Hollywoodaholic likes this.