1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones Season 8 (2019)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Sam Favate, May 23, 2018.

1. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

Today's TVs far exceed the capabilities of old NTSC sets, and are capable of movie-quality images, so I think it's entirely appropriate to shoot to the high standard of today rather than the old "just for TV" standard of years past.

2. Message #262 of 1095 Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I’m getting 1080p on directv

Actually that was wrong.
    Apparently my Dtv setting changed during a recent update to out put everything the same res.
    I fixed that and now it’s all set to native.

So 1080i for hbo

Jeff Adkins likes this.
  3. Tommy R

Tommy R Screenwriter

Tommy
    Yeah, I’m not going to bother calibrating my tv. Watching either 4K discs, or even regular Blu-ray Discs on my tv look amazing to my eyes, and far exceeds ANYTHING I’ve seen either on tv or even on a movie theater screen, so I don’t see the need to attempt to make it even better (if calibrating is even going to do that). My solution considering this episode of GoT is to not watch it through my cable box ever again and watch it on Blu-ray when it comes out when I decide to go through the series again. There are plenty of GoT episodes I remember being super dark when I watched them on Blu-ray and had no complaints.

MarkMel likes this.
  4. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I enjoyed what I was able to see, but most of the action was murky and smeared and I couldn't tell what was going on. This is a 65" Samsung QLED set with the advanced motion blur on to supposedly avoid streaky or pixilated action (e.g. sporting events) . What is this calibration some here are talking about? There shouldn't have to be anything special done to your television to enjoy a show, and one watched on live HBO cable tv, not streamed.

SPOILERS (hey, if you didn't watch live, what kind of fan are you?)

The moment Melisandra asked Arya who she killed, and she added BLUE eyes to the list, it was obvious Arya was going to kill the Night King, but we all love that kind of foreshadowing.

Ever since the show passed George Martin's books, it's become less novel-like and more television series like, including narrative, dialogue and plotting. The TV Showrunners obviously value the major characters more, since I truly believe Martin would have sacrificed far more of the main characters in this battle than Jorah and the "red shirts." The TV Showrunners are just playing to a softer audience stretching the bounds of what some of these characters could have survived. But, hey, it IS television after all.

5. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Not for me it didn't. Same old macroblocking, banding, and motion artifacts I *always* get via the HBO Go app. It looked phenomenally horrible.

6. RobertR

Craig S likes this.
  7. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    Your display doesn't have to be professionally calibrated. Using a setup disc like Disney WOW or Spears and Munsil should get you enough of the way there. This episode didn't look great but if your display is set up well you should be able to at least make out what is happening and to whom.

Josh Dial, Jeff Adkins and RobertR like this.
  8. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

My TV isn't professionally calibrated but I've used a setup disc and prior to last night, I've never had a problem. Like I've said, I've seen similar complaints about other shows being too dark (The Walking Dead gets the complaint frequently) but this is the first time that I have found an episode just too dark to see what was going on for most of the episode. Even last week's GOT episode wasn't that bad to me.

9. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Most of us are not engineers, we're film and television enthusiasts. I've been through the whole 'calibration' nonsense with previous sets, going back to my first HD set in 1997, where you constantly had to reset the convergence. Many of my friends are professional video editors or cameramen (adjusting the white balance), and one made a business of 'calibrating' sets for home theaters. I don't need that shit anymore. It's supposed to be a state of the art television set, not a science project. And content shouldn't be inscrutable to those who just want to plug and play.

MarkMel likes this.
  10. RobertR

You don't need to be an engineer. You just need to be willing to put forth some effort commensurate with your enthusiasm.

If you don't want to bother putting forth the effort to make your display show the state of the art that it's capable of, you shouldn't complain that what you see is not state of the art. Do you bother to set your speaker levels and distances, or is that also being too much like an engineer?

11. Tommy R

Tommy R Screenwriter

Tommy
    I don’t think I heard anyone discuss it yet but (speculation)
    the night king wasn’t burned by the dragon fire, and my wife suggested that it means the night king is a Targaryen. This seemed logical to me, and hopefully they still address the night king and his origin a little more even if he’s “dead” now. Of course unless they have already covered this throughout the series already and I just missed it. (Like I have many many details here and there)

12. AcesHighStudios

AcesHighStudios Stunt Coordinator

Mike Williams
    No, he sent the ravens.

13. AcesHighStudios

AcesHighStudios Stunt Coordinator

Mike Williams
    It won't.

14. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino

15. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

This thread blew up so my response may have been lost. I'd like for us to get past "calibration" as the problem, because my set while not ISF calibrated, has been calibrated by me using text disc, and eyeballing it myself using 20+ years of being on HTF and having met both Gregg Loewen in an HTF meet and having Michael Chen do my old RPTV and walk me through the various steps and consideration.

Let's get one thing clear: if my Spectrum TV HBO HD channel was any indication, the macroblocking, banding, artifacting on this episode was horrible. It has nothing to do with setup calibration. It was everything to do with the quality of the signal that was sent from Spectrum to my cable box to the TV. Oh, and I watched it live, not a DVR recording (which I'm sure adds another layer of picture quality degradation).

Second point: HBO Go app with fast internet connection (400mbps) was much better on cursory viewing this morning. Skimming through about 10 minutes of content, I detected almost none of what I noted on the broadcast. Now note that I qualify it with fast internet connection. Because I've noticed on HBO Go, as the episode starts up it's at a much lower bit rate for the first 5-10 seconds until the buffer catches up. Then it becomes near blu-ray quality to my naked eye. The problem with the HBO Go app is that it isn't transparent at all what bit rate you're watching at, unlike say the Netflix app. So people who see the problems on HBO Go may be having that app throttle the bit rate based on what kind of connection it is on (or what it perceives the connection speed to be).

Given my HBO Go experience, I anticipate the BD/4K release will be largely free of these artifacts. Yes it's still a dark episode. But it shouldn't have been the blurry/blocky/cloudy mess that I saw on initial viewing over cable.

Tino, Hollywoodaholic and TravisR like this.
  16. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    This is absolutely not a calibration issue. I have 80Mbps broadband, and HBO Go is the ONLY app on my ATV4K that looks as horrible as it does. 4K streams on Netflix, iTunes, and Amazon Prime Video are pristine. My guess is that the problem lies with the source data coming from HBO. It's an embarrassment, really.

Based on this experience, which is exactly the same as my Season 7 viewing on HBO Go last year, I would never subscribe to HBO. In fact, I feel that giving them $16 a month for what I'm getting now is a complete rip-off. The only reason I'm paying is because I don't want to wait until Season 8 gets a disc release to watch. I'll be cancelling HBO Go once GoT is over.

Jeff Adkins likes this.
  17. RobertR

To be clear, I'm not talking about nor defending picture quality that's bad due to streaming or data issues. I'm addressing the "too dark" complaints.

dpippel likes this.
  18. MarkMel

MarkMel Cinematographer

I didn't want this thread to devolve away from the episode's conversation. But, I used to install $100k+ home theater systems. I know how to calibrate a display. I read an article recently where they talked about how directors are foregoing artificial lighting and going more naturalistic. Which is nice and artistic but leaves many viewers feeling frustrated. So it's not the displays, it's intentional on the directors/editors/etc. part. I wish I knew this when I was making home movies as the video cameras came out. All of my too dark videos would be in style now.

Just googling Game of Thrones too dark, comes up with tons of articles saying the same thing. So clearly it's not just a small minority.

Anyway, how about that little Lady Mormont? Bad a** to the end.

Tino, Hollywoodaholic and dpippel like this.
  19. MarkMel

MarkMel Cinematographer

Oh and I just realized (after reading some recaps) that Arya used her right hand to do the final killing!

20. Greg.K

Greg.K Cinematographer

Greg K.
    Jeff Adkins and dpippel like this.