Game of Thrones - Season 7

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by SamT, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    While I disagree with a bit of your post, the only thing I take strong issue with is this.
    I think the performances of Charles Dance, Iain Glen, Conleth Hill, and although a smaller part, Diana Rigg, all were at a level worthy of Emmy consideration, at least.

2. SamT

SamT Cinematographer

Sam
    What was wrong with the Red Wedding?

3. Tommy R

Tommy R Second Unit

Tommy
    Omg! Only just realized that was Diana Rigg, and I had to look her up to see what GoT character she was. That ups the tally to 5 people on GoT who have been in the Bond movies, unless there are still any I missed: 3 main Bond villains; Sean Bean - GoldenEye, Jonathan Pryce - Tomorrow Never Dies, Julian Glover - For Your Eyes Only. 1 name-less henchman; Charles Dance - For Your Eyes Only. 1 Bond Girl; Diana Rigg - On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

4. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    I assume Josh is referring to the fact that it was changed from the book.

I think the show has been and continues to be brilliant in every way. Deserved of all its praise and accolades.

Obviously not all agree. :D

DavidMiller and Sean Bryan like this.
  5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I didn't have a problem with the show's depiction of the Red Wedding. I did have a problem with how Tyrion's killing of Shae and Tywin was depicted. That's the only really jarring difference that comes to mind. OTOH, the scene where Dany gets the Unsullied and has her dragon kill the slaver was one of the most perfect depictions of a book scene I've ever seen. :)

Tino likes this.
  6. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    Here's my post from the Red Wedding episode:

Looking back, I have to say I was wrong: it did affect my enjoyment of the series going forward. This was the "downhill" moment for me. Massive fan before: casual observer after.

I'm happy to elaborate further on my problems with the episode (and the series from then on), but I don't think people like reading endless negativity.

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    TONIGHT.

Re: series disappointment, my thought is you have to be willing to let each be their own, playing to their own strengths and not get hung up on differences. It's an interpretation, not a clone. Wanting everything to be exactly the same is boring and unlikely.

Cameron Yee and Tino like this.
  8. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    Fair enough. However, my criticisms haven't been leveled against differences per se, but rather that in most instances, the departures from the books have (pick one or some) adversely affected character growth or in some instances undermined character growth, stalled plot movement (which is really quite a feat), or abandoned completely fundamental aspects of the world/story (most notably here is the total absence of prophecy).

But, perhaps most of all, my main criticism is that the showrunners simply can't write. Especially In the early seasons, when dialogue was virtually word-for-word from the books (mostly from A Game of Thrones), the show clipped along beautifully, and--perhaps most notably--we were shown, not told. As the writers (generally the two showrunners) started writing "their own words" (for lack of a better phrase), things went downhill. The major beats were there, but the soul dwindled. Perhaps there's a connection with the relative weakness of A Feast for Crows, and the book has inherent weaknesses that make adaptation difficult for the best writers.

To be clear, I'm trying to judge the show as an adaptation as you say. It's just that in my opinion the more liberal the adaptation, the weaker the show becomes. Heck, some of the adaptations are objectively silly. Changing Asha to Yara is perhaps the best example (or, rather, the stupidest example). Shows that think their audiences are stupid immediately get a strike against them in my book.

9. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I'd say it's more than unlikely. After all the discussion about bringing Lord of the Rings to the screen, it's been pretty much determined that a movie can never be exactly like the book.

Tino likes this.
  10. SamT

SamT Cinematographer

Sam
    Updated on the story. I'm ready to go.

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Loved the way the episode began, with Arya badassery. :) It's also interesting to observe how much Sansa has changed. It's all falling into place.

SamT and Tino like this.
  12. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Reallllly enjoyed last night. Everytime Arya Stark and/or Lady Mormont are on screen is the best.

In regards to Josh Dial's comment RE: Red Wedding, I get some concerns, though not as much (it is hard to show in film "recognition" in a character), but part of it is also about the quality of actors you have and how well they can pull things off.. the reason you get more Arya/Hound is because frankly they are better actors.

Sometimes you work with what you have. I love the books and the show, but I recognize far, far more people will watch the show than read the books. Just how it goes.

13. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I enjoyed the episode, particularly the opening. A lot of setup for the season, which made some of it a bit talky, but after such a long absence, I was happy to see these characters interacting again. BTW, Sansa was correct that Jon is suffering from the same flaws as Ned and Robb. Euron Greyjoy is obviously this season's real scumbag, now that we don't have Ramsay anymore. At the end when Dany said "Let's get started," it really confirmed that this episode was all about setup.

14. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

So apparently Arya can change her height as well as her face. :) When we see her with the soldiers (cue distracting cameo) she still looks fairly compact.

Sam's chores in Old Town have kind of put me off of beef stew for awhile.

I was watching this on the front projector and while most of the episode looked good (as I normally expect) there were some shots that seemed kind of fuzzy (and not in a we're shooting this scene in soft focus for artistic reasons kind of way). It was intermittent but it was prominent enough to catch my attention.

I was impressed with the scale and scope of Dragonstone. Probably the most visually impressive component of the premiere episode (other than perhaps the march of the dead.) I was a little surprised that it was completely deserted. You'd think that a cursory staff would be on hand to keep the pilot lights lit, but I guess that was a story complication that they didn't want to deal with in the episode. (??)

Euron was suitably brash with Cersei. Particularly enjoyed the pointed 'two hands' comment and the implications.

I think I enjoyed the Hound's scenes with his new companions more than just about anything in the premiere. For me, redemption is one of the strongest dramatic narratives in fictional storytelling and I'm really enjoying the Hound's storyline for that reason. (Still hoping that Cleganebowl will happen, but since the Hound is going north that seems unlikely.)

It was a solid start to the season.

- Walter.

RobertR likes this.
  15. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    When Arya disguised herself as a serving woman in last season's finale, she either brought some faces from House of Black and White (which is not likely) or she killed a random serving woman to take her face. Which is cold as shit. Unless there's some other explanation.

Saw the Walder Frey thing coming as soon as Walder appeared. It was instantaneous, although I did a rewatch of season 6 just last week, so it was all very fresh in my mind. It was still ridiculously entertaining even though I already knew the entirety of the plan as I was watching.

A lot of call backs to earlier seasons. Had it not been for the Previously... recap, a bunch of stuff would have flown over my head including the identity of the dead father and daughter in the house.

The scene with Arya and the Lannister soldiers was brutally tense, as I wondered who would strike first and how Ed Shereen would die. Surprisingly, it ended with a big laugh instead of violence. I mean, sure, they were laughing over regicide, but that's about as surprisingly peaceful as GoT has ever delivered.

Not sure why Benjen dropped the kids off by the weirwood tree instead of at the gates of the wall in last season's finale, but glad to see they got there safely.

16. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    So that's Jorah in the cell that Sam walked by at the Citadel?

17. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Yes

18. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Did the show establish how Jorah got there? Was there a scene where he mentioned Old Town when he parted ways with Tyrion? I just don't recall.

- Walter.

19. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    There was not. Last we saw him, he left Dany with instructions from her to find a cure. It makes sense he would go to Oldtown for information (although the viewers know he needs to find out whatever he can about Shirleen, Stannis' daughter who had the same disease but did not die).

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  20. SamT

SamT Cinematographer

Sam
    When the episode started and we saw the guy that Arya killed last time still alive, I said hey they are doing a flashback! Interesting. Then when he gave drinks to all those people, I got it. :D

Question about the Hound. What is his purpose? What is his story now? How did he survive from when he was left by Arya? I don't remember at all.