What's new

Game of Thrones Season 4 (news and episodes discussion) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
^ I'm guessing that those seasons will encompass the fourth book?
Probably whatever is left of both the fourth and fifth books after this season. My understanding is that the fourth book and the fifth book largely take place at the same time, with A Feast for Crows mostly focusing on King's Landing, the Riverlands, the Eyrie, the Iron Islands and Oberyn Martell's homeland of Dorne while A Dance with Dragons covers the events across the Narrow Sea with Daenerys, one character's storyline in Braavos, and the events in the North.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Richard Travale said:
the show is confusing?
I have read the books multiple times each, over the past decade and a half. I consider myself pretty well-versed in the series, but I can see how a non-reader can be easily confused as to the characters, events, and general timeline.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Adam Lenhardt said:
Probably whatever is left of both the fourth and fifth books after this season. My understanding is that the fourth book and the fifth book largely take place at the same time, with A Feast for Crows mostly focusing on King's Landing, the Riverlands, the Eyrie, the Iron Islands and Oberyn Martell's homeland of Dorne while A Dance with Dragons covers the events across the Narrow Sea with Daenerys, one character's storyline in Braavos, and the events in the North.
(Apologies for the double posts)

Based on the sheer number of non-skippable events in Feast and Dance, and based on the speed at which the show is generally progressing (which is actually not as fast as some claim), my guess is three seasons will be needed. A friend and I went itemized all of the (key) events yet to be covered, and even moving at an increased pace, it's doubtful the show will be able to do it all in two seasons.

Take, for example, the season 4 premiere: while the show appears to have skipped a large portion of Sansa's story (much of which is considered to be the weakest in the entire series) at "saved" some time there, it ultimately covered only 2-3 chapters (excluding Sansa's), one of which isn't even fully in A Storm of Swords at all!

Despite what many people say, a lot happens in Feast and Dance, and much of it will have to be dealt with.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
wfc.jpg

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
"Best show ever!"We're not even close to halfway. It's a little early for that proclamation. Especially since the third book is my favorite, I'm not surprised it continues to build fans. I do wonder if the 4th, 5th and later books will resonate as well. I am holding out hope that they actually benefit from conversion to tv. Fellowship of the Ring is great, but in book form, it's a lot of words about walking. A 3 hour movie was a nice translation. Maybe GoT does the same thing for Martin's work?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Sky Atlantic has the UK rights for Game of Thrones and does a post-episode chat show like The Talking Dead on AMC.

Interviews with Maisie Williams and John Bradley:
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C272iQcSY8U[/media]
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkA8D3opyEQ[/media]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sean Bryan said:
YESSSS!!
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Finally a death that brings joy and happy feels!
Happy to see that character die but was hoping for a more satisfying death. Feel a bit gypped. Oh well.....there's plenty more where that came from I suspect.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Richard Travale said:
the show is confusing?
Of course it is. Thank god for the recaps. There is so much going on with so many characters how can it not be to those of us who haven't read the books ?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:

I love how they spent a solid 20 minutes just ramping up Joffrey's dickishness to 11 without cutaways, so that you're just begging for him to go down hard. And they delivered.
Has there ever been so satisfying an onscreen death? I had a huge smile on my face the whole time. The only bittersweet part of it is that Joffrey's last dickish act managed to get Tyrion framed for the deed.

One thing I noticed (May be nothing, may be a spoiler):
Tyrion didn't actually retrieve Joffrey's goblet. He looked under the table, and then Sansa handed him a goblet that appeared to be the same one. Certainly she would have her reason for doing the deed, though I don't know how she'd have had the resources to pull it off.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Speaking for all readers of the books who have been watching the show - We have been waiting for this moment a long, long time. Finally, the rotten little bastard is dead.

(I believe the episode drops a few hints and a few misdirections on who is involved in the deed.)

With regard to Adam's spoiler:

Without saying too much, you are on the wrong track.

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
Has there ever been so satisfying an onscreen death? I had a huge smile on my face the whole time.
After it happened, it was very satisfying but as it was happening, I was sure he was going to survive (killing Joffrey has to be an event that would occur in the last book) so I was thinking that it was all going to end up being a tease.

Major TV character deaths have become the new cliché but this was definitely a great one because it was surprising and- for lack of a better word- enjoyable.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh

Word of advice to future lords and ladies getting married: FUCKING ELOPE.

Isn't somebody supposed to get that one final moment of redemption or likeability right before they die? Or is that just on Walking Dead?

Well, he WAS, by his leave, about to feed the city's poor with dead bird-cake. That's something, at least.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Tino said:
Happy to see that character die but was hoping for a more satisfying death. Feel a bit gypped. Oh well.....there's plenty more where that came from I suspect.
I thought it was quite satisfying. The little puke could have suffered a bit longer, I suppose.

Chad Erickson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad Erickson
As someone who hasn't read the books I fulled expected Shay to be the one coming out right before the show and be killed in front of Tyrion. Glad that didn't happen though.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Well! Who saw that coming? (Oh, anyone who's read the books, doh…)

But for those of us who haven't, that was quite surprising -- you'd expect King Dick to hang around a bit longer making life miserable for everyone else. It was interesting to see how, as he continued being a prime dick, his new Queen quite sensibly kept trying to rein him in, and no doubt that proclamation that the leftovers would feed the poor was entirely her idea -- and note the immediate power struggle with Cersei countermanding that shortly after. And while his distasteful pantomime was ongoing, again interesting to see who was amused by it, and who was keeping a poker face hiding their disdain.

As for Adam's spoiler, my 2-cents':-
Poor old Sansa had nothing to do with it -- the "king's fool" was trying to get her to leave quickly just before the deed went down and she was utterly clueless, and indeed didn't leave. It was the proverbial "palace plot", but as to who was involved, damned if I know...

With Joffrey dead, who nominally inherits? IIRC he had a kid brother and sister, so does the boy become king and Cersei becomes Queen Regent again? Or were the two younger kids killed in the war? In which case technically surely Stannis Baratheon is next in line?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks