What's new

Game of Death is ruined for me now. (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
This used to be my favorite Bruce Lee movie as a kid, and now Enter the Dragon is. This past summer I watched Game of Death again, and noticed where they had both the new actor and Bruce Lee, all the bad editing, the superimposing, and all the other bad stuff. I can now only watch the last 30 minutes, and even notice the parts where they mixed Bruce Lee and his replacement. Too bad Bruce Lee didn't live to finish it, because the movie would be so much better. I wish they never finished this, because to me it's an insult to Bruce Lee with how badly it's put together.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I noticed this stuff when I was really young. How can you miss it? My friends and I used to laugh about it all the time(Love that shot with the towel).

And on the big screen it was even worse. It was obvious to me the stand in wasnt Bruce, and I was probally 8 when I first saw it in the theater during the 70s.

I was always grateful for Game of Death though. Years before Home theater and bonus footage, at least we were given this footage.It was a homage and was made with the best intentions, but technology was limited then too.

Game and Enter were always the last 2 on my list of Bruce movies. He was much more explosive FoF,CC and ROTD. Watch the scenes in ROTD when he fights the Korean and Bob Wall. Or CC when he takes on the Russian -just amazing!! He was unbelievably fast. When he got around to Enter the Dragon, his health was already on the decline.
I also just dont understand the filming in Enter the Dragon-many of the shots are closeups and above the waist shots and your missing alot of the action. Compare that to the medium shots where the camera was placed further back in his earlier efforts where everything can be seen.
Bruce Lee had a huge impact on me. He was a hero of mine when I was a kid and still is. RIP

StephenA

Screenwriter
I never really noticed how bad it was because I saw it on a small TV. On my 72 inch TV you can really see how bad the editing, superimposing, and the grainy parts with Bruce Lee are. It's so distracting, that I can't watch the movie anymore on my TV.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Stephen: I believe your television is 73 inches. Do you own a Mitsubishi 16:9 73-inch RPTV?

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
FYI, AMC will be showing "Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey" on Tuesday 7/2. It is said to have never before seen footage of Game of Death.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I really don't know what it is. All I know is that it's a 6 year old Mitsubishi projection TV.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
For me, Game of Death has the BEST score for a Bruce Lee movie! Thanks to master composer John Barry!

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
There's a SPLENDID two disc set of Game of Death released by Hong Kong Legends in the UK. If you are any kind of fan, then I'm of the humble opinion that it's totally worth getting.

In addition, included, is never before seen footage that was believed to be lost from his last and unfinished film Game of Death, edited into its proper sequence according to Lee's original notes.
Yep, that documentary's on the DVD set too, apparently some of the lost footage was exposed, and covered in chicken feces when finally found.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I just saw Warriors Journey on AMC. So great to see that footage. I saw the DVD at Media Play. Gonna go pick it up.

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
AJ
For me, Game of Death has the BEST score for a Bruce Lee movie! Thanks to master composer John Barry!
I love this musical score as well. Thanks to Napster I finally got it after years of useless searching around music stores.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Is Game of Death including the new footage and documentary is available in R1?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy,
The R1 version is the old version we've always seen. There is a Hong Kong 2 disc version that I believe has all the extra footage on the 2nd disc.

Warriors Journey is available on DVD though, so you can get the footage that way.

StephenA

Screenwriter
The unseen footage explains why you see the guys on the floor in the background in the version of Game of Death we have. It also shows where that part where Kareem Abdul Jabbar's character jumps up and rips the guy off the stairs came from. I really wish the filmmakers had of worked around what Bruce Lee had of filmed and the ideas he worked on. From what they showed, it was becoming an awesome film. Too bad Bruce died, and Game of Death became the butchered mess we have now. Bruce was such a talented, funny, and intelligent man.

AndyW

Agent
The new footage in Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey was incredible. The story would have been great and the fights scenes, great before, were even better. I was so suprised and I need to buy the dvd. I am stunned that this fantastic footage exists!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks