Game Boy Advance SP - "MEGATON"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Masood Ali, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Text
    Specs
    Pic
    I'm glad I held out. This is definitely a must-buy for all those not on the GBA bandwagon.

2. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

That doesn't sound bad at all. Though not quite the mega I was hoping for or the hype made it out to be. (Many of us have been fontlit for quite a while already.)
    I wonder why Nintendo chose to go the frontlit way instead of backlit. Does a backlit screen really impact the price that much? Can't imagine it does.
    As it stands, I see no compelling reason to rush to upgrade my Afterburner'd GBA.
    Can't wait to see what it looks like.

3. Masood Ali

Your wish is my command. Added a pic.

4. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

Hmmm... if I was going to get a Game Boy Advance, I still think I'd get the older one... I like the design of the regular Advance a more... it does look really compact though.

5. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

Great! Game Boy Advance for midgits. Thanks Nintendo.

6. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

You could buy this new version of the GBA for $100 in a couple months. Or you could wait until May and buy the GBA player for the GameCube. Then, you won't have to hunch over a little sceen, hold a controller that's too small for most American hands, and you'll save $50 to $60 in the process.

That, to me, sounds like a much better deal.

7. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Not a very portable solution, though, Jeffrey.

This looks lovely, but I've two concerns

- L and R buttons look frankly painful to use - everything has been squared off in the attempt to make it look like a minidisc player

- Playing any GBC cart is going to be slightly difficult, as it'll stick out into your palms. However, thats the least of your worries when the new slot position means that the controls are reversed on Kirby's Tilt 'n' Tumble (the one GBC game I still regularly play).

8. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

9. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

No, its not the point of the GBA player; I just meant that the GBA lives or dies by its ability to be useful on the move - generally if I'm sat in front of my Gamecube I'll play GC games.

If you're prepared to go down the Afterburner route, then this new thing is of limited appeal, yes, but it does look snazzy and is significantly smaller - down to pocket size, just about. By the time you've fitted an Afterburner you'll have spent about roughly what it costs for one of these new things anyway, too.

10. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

11. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

That hands on article is good. They also have other pictures. So basically the thing is a little bit wider than the width of a cartridge? How deep? Anyone see any lifesize pictures yet? Or pictures relating the size to a hand or something?

12. Romier S

Romier S Producer

13. Masood Ali

Gamespot says:

"...the new handheld is every bit as comfortable to hold as a Game Boy Pocket or Game Boy Color, and it features shoulder buttons that, while much smaller than those on the GBA, are actually more comfortable to use."

And:

"The directional pad and buttons have also been changed very slightly...they felt just as comfortable as those on previous Game Boy consoles, and we had no problems whatsoever playing with them."

I still believe Nintendo has the best hardware engineers in the business. Their hardware design is usually efficient, smart, and very ergonomic.

14. John Bryant

John Bryant Second Unit

I am ready to pre-order now. I was going to pick up a second, Afterburned GBA, but now I can save myself $50.

15. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

If I didn't already have a GBA and plans to get a GBA player for my cube, than I'd be buying one, but I don't need 3 GBA players.

16. Philip_S

Philip_S Stunt Coordinator

I already have 2 GBAs (1 with an Afterburner installed), and I plan on getting the GBA player, but I've pre-ordered one of these for good measure. Love the size on this thing.

Funny to see that there's already one for sale on Ebay. Always interesting to see how much people will bid for something that they could obtain quicker & cheaper from a real store or an established web merchant.

17. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Philip,
    Where did you preorder this from? Gamestop.com and ebworld.com don't have anything up about the GBASP yet.

18. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

The fact that i can put it in my pocket and not overly worry about the screen getting scratched and carry it with me everywhere makes it worth the $100 cost of admission.

Also as anyone knows I am a system hardware whore and must have it.

Another thing wouldn't it be awesome if someone made a belt clip holder similar to what a two way pager uses....nerd chic, I love it! That would just add one more thing to what my wife calls my utility belt, 2way, palm, cell, and then GBASP!

19. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

20. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

One possible sticking point: the cartridge sticks out of the bottom and the link port is on the top. The E-Reader needs to be connected to the link port in order to work; the E-Reader link cable may be too short to go that far. I hoping I'm wrong.