What's new

Game (3 of 3): Guess An Upcoming Twilight Time Release (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
Note: Sorry guys. I was trying to sleep, recover, and then found myself in the hospital for 4 hours that I can't get back. That's where I was.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Note: Sorry guys. I was trying to sleep, recover, and then found myself in the hospital for 4 hours that I can't get back. That's where I was.
So sorry to hear this Bruce. Take it easy, and I hope everything is okay! Sending good vibes and thoughts your way.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Okay.Clue #1: The Method, an Italian muse, Spaghetti sauce, it all comes out in the wash. Clue #2: Poor Marni Nixon… he “walked the line.” Clue #3: Richard Brooks directed “too.” Clue #4: Franciosa, Forsythe, Parks. Who’s on first? Or is it second?
Ah! It's obviously the long-lost musical version of Macbeth, entitled "Thane!" which was directed by Paul Newman (score by Stephen Sondheim, even rarer than Evening Primrose) and starred Joanne Woodward as Lady Macbeth ("A little water clears us of this deed."). She was dubbed by an uncredited Marni Nixon. John Forsythe played Duncan and Tony Franciosa was MacDuff. I thought all prints had been destroyed.(And, no, that is NOT my guess for the day!) ;)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
ROclockCK said:
Wasn't this supposed to be getting easier? I'm lost.

With at best only tenuous connections, a desperate reach and guess: In Cold Blood.
Already on Blu-ray. I have it in a double feature collection with Capote.

lawrencews

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry S.
BPullen said:
This is the guess of the day and a holy grail to Duke Ellington fans. With hesitation, I say no.
My question for the day:

Bruce, are you saying no, "with hesitation", because I have not been a member of HTF for at least a month (and therefore, my guess is disqualified) OR because Paris Blues is simply not the correct answer?

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Clues 1 and 3 seem to scream Tennessee Williams. And in a 7 degrees way I can link Marni Nixon to Deborah Kerr To Williams. And I can link Williams and Kerr to John Huston, and Huston to Michael Parks, and Newman to Franciosa and Forsythe. And it all coming out in the wash would seem to justify the randomness. But the only place it leads me is to another guess that seems too obvious, but here goes: Night of the Iguana. Not sure how it fits with the latest clue, but im so confused I cant even think of a decent question.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
JohnMor said:
Ah! It's obviously the long-lost musical version of Macbeth, entitled "Thane!" which was directed by Paul Newman (score by Stephen Sondheim, even rarer than Evening Primrose) and starred Joanne Woodward as Lady Macbeth ("A little water clears us of this deed."). She was dubbed by an uncredited Marni Nixon. John Forsythe played Duncan and Tony Franciosa was MacDuff. I thought all prints had been destroyed.(And, no, that is NOT my guess for the day!) ;)
Hardy har har. :)

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
I should have followed by initial instinct last night. Here is the updated clue list including a new one.
Clue #1: The Method, an Italian muse, Spaghetti sauce, it all comes out in the wash.

Clue #2: Poor Marni Nixon… he “walked the line.”

Clue #3: Richard Brooks directed “too.”

Clue #4: Franciosa, Forsythe, Parks. Who’s on first? Or is it second?

Clue # 5: Chinatown has a two-fold connection. Even if once removed.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
ROclockCK said:
Wasn't this supposed to be getting easier? I'm lost.

With at best only tenuous connections, a desperate reach and guess: In Cold Blood.
Rock, check the bottom of the page I added a new clue for today. I debated it last night but my waning energy and that damn cough talked me out of it. As for In Cold Blood (1967), isn't that already out by Sony. Here's another clue, what do we stick in "the wash". And does this relate to an obscure piece of trivia? There but I can't really say more.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
Ken Koc said:
NO DOWN PAYMENT!
Fox, Joanne Woodward, Martin Ritt, and another composing newcomer to TT. A clutch guess. I hope TT reads many of these guesses. Sadly no.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
lawrencews said:
My question for the day:

Bruce, are you saying no, "with hesitation", because I have not been a member of HTF for at least a month (and therefore, my guess is disqualified) OR because Paris Blues is simply not the correct answer?
I didn't even look at your membership date. I answered you like I would anyone else. The film is a no. Unfortunately.

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Richard Brooks was nominated for two Oscars for movies that didn't receive a Best Picture nomination.
Same thing happened to Mark Robson for Inn of the Sixth Happiness, and he was fresh off his hit Peyton Place.
I was working on this title when the last clue appeared, and happy to say there is a "China town".
Ingrid Bergman was Rossellini's muse.
I believe this was in Fox's Bring it to Blu Ray Poll, so I assume there's a master that's ready to be transferred.
As to everything else, no idea, another title unseen by me.
I used to think I had pretty extensive knowledge of film history, these contests seem to be proving me wrong.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
trajan said:
A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM
Richard Lester, Zero Mostel, Nic Roeg behind the camera, where's my wallet? An impeccable vintage choice. This isn't it either but I like the thought.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Reading this thread has been most entertaing. My guess is: BEAT THE DEVIL. Although the film is in the public domain, I believe Sony/Columbia owns the original elements. Huston, of course, directed, (starred in Chinatown) and had just finished two of his most famous films, THE AFRICAN QUEEN & MOULIN ROUGE, which could be seed as carreer highlights. Spagetti Sauce could be Ms. Lollobrigidia. The clues that seem to point to Tennesse Williams could also fit Truman Capote, who is also Southern, and shares other viewpoints with Mr. Williams as well. The wash might (or might not) refer to the mess that the shoot entailed. At least Humphrey Bogart was directed by a Brooks. And the composer, Franco mannino (mostly known for his 70's scores for Viscounti) has certainly not yet been on a TT disc. And if this is a Not, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks