What's new

Game (3 of 3): Guess An Upcoming Twilight Time Release (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Richard Brooks directed too (two) Jean Simmons and Shirley Jones ( Elmer Gantry and The Happy Ending).
John Forsythe is in The Happy Ending
Italian Muse....well Bobby Darin plays an Italian Gigolo ( a muse to the Jean Simmons character).
Michel Legrand wrote the score
Poor Marni Nixon...She never had to dub Shirley Jones voice ver...although she does not sing in this one.
Tina Louise studied The Method with Lee Strasberg at the Actors Studio
So it's now 130am thursday Nov 14th New York...My guess for the new day THE HAPPY ENDING.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
Matt Hough said:
My guess for today: From the Terrace.
Man and wife paired again. The pairing is crucial but more vital is the meaning of "too" and what it shares with the films themselves. From the Terrace (1960) doesn't fit. The trick is commonality and Paying It Forward (2000).

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
seangood79 said:
Richard Brooks was nominated for two Oscars for movies that didn't receive a Best Picture nomination.
Same thing happened to Mark Robson for Inn of the Sixth Happiness, and he was fresh off his hit Peyton Place.
I was working on this title when the last clue appeared, and happy to say there is a "China town".
Ingrid Bergman was Rossellini's muse.
I believe this was in Fox's Bring it to Blu Ray Poll, so I assume there's a master that's ready to be transferred.
As to everything else, no idea, another title unseen by me.
I used to think I had pretty extensive knowledge of film history, these contests seem to be proving me wrong.
Solid speculation. Incorrect but quite fascinating. Delve deeper.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Okay, here are my clue decipherings, followed by my guess:Clue #1: The Method, an Italian muse, Spaghetti sauce, it all comes out in the wash.Tennessee Williams, Joanne Woodward, Paul Newman, "The Long Hot Summer," Faulkner = Southern Gothic; It all comes out in the wash = dirt. Lukas Heller wrote the screenplay for "The Dirty Dozen."Clue #2: Poor Marni Nixon… he “walked the line.”Al Martino sang "The End of the Line." 1964 was the end of the line for Marni Nixon's off-screen dubbing of other actresses.Clue #3: Richard Brooks directed “too.”Brooks directed Bette Davis in "The Catered Affair" and William Campbell in "Battle Circus."Clue #4: Franciosa, Forsythe, Parks. Who’s on first? Or is it second?Franciosa starred with Woodward & Newman in "The Long Hot Summer," which was filmed in Baton Rouge, LAClue # 5: Chinatown has a two-fold connection. Even if once removed.John Huston directed Mary Astor in "The Maltese Falcon."A 1964 Southern Gothic film with a screenplay by Lukas Heller, starring Bette Davis and Mary Astor and featuring William Campbell, filmed in Baton Rouge, LA, with a theme song sung by Al Martino, directed by a man just off his signature piece (Robert Aldrich, "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?") and with a score by a composer new to TT, Frank de Vol:"Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte."

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
Okay.Clue #1: The Method, an Italian muse, Spaghetti sauce, it all comes out in the wash.

Clue #2: Poor Marni Nixon… he “walked the line.”

Clue #3: Richard Brooks directed “too.”

Clue #4: Franciosa, Forsythe, Parks. Who’s on first? Or is it second?

Clue # 5: Chinatown has a two-fold connection. Even if once removed.

Clue #6: The Lady Vanishes for Billie Burke.

Clue #7: The producer was going to direct till Garland or "Red" intervened.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
JohnMor said:
Okay, here are my clue decipherings, followed by my guess:Clue #1: The Method, an Italian muse, Spaghetti sauce, it all comes out in the wash.Tennessee Williams, Joanne Woodward, Paul Newman, "The Long Hot Summer," Faulkner = Southern Gothic; It all comes out in the wash = dirt. Lukas Heller wrote the screenplay for "The Dirty Dozen."Clue #2: Poor Marni Nixon… he “walked the line.”Al Martino sang "The End of the Line." 1964 was the end of the line for Marni Nixon's off-screen dubbing of other actresses.Clue #3: Richard Brooks directed “too.”Brooks directed Bette Davis in "The Catered Affair" and William Campbell in "Battle Circus."Clue #4: Franciosa, Forsythe, Parks. Who’s on first? Or is it second?Franciosa starred with Woodward & Newman in "The Long Hot Summer," which was filmed in Baton Rouge, LAClue # 5: Chinatown has a two-fold connection. Even if once removed.John Huston directed Mary Astor in "The Maltese Falcon."A 1964 Southern Gothic film with a screenplay by Lukas Heller, starring Bette Davis and Mary Astor and featuring William Campbell, filmed in Baton Rouge, LA, with a theme song sung by Al Martino, directed by a man just off his signature piece (Robert Aldrich, "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?") and with a score by a composer new to TT, Frank de Vol:"Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte."
A brilliant whack at it. Clue #1 is the most accurate. Clue #3 does involve two movies. The rest is more off the plantation. Hush... Hush Sweet Charlotte (1964) is a no.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
The question chosen was asked by Hasslein.
Hasslein said:
Does the film have at least one sequel?
No. But there are many copies roaming around.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
Here are yesterday’s unanswered questions. Feel free to ask again.

Seangood79:“I considered Baby Doll as well, it gets so frustrating when I find a title that might fit, until you see that Warner Bros shield or Paramount mountain on the cover.

My question, does the top billed actor or actress currently have a pulse?

ROclockCK:“BTW Bruce, my question for today: "Is the Composer of this film 1 of those 10?"

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
Ken Koc said:
Richard Brooks directed too (two) Jean Simmons and Shirley Jones ( Elmer Gantry and The Happy Ending).
John Forsythe is in The Happy Ending
Italian Muse....well Bobby Darin plays an Italian Gigolo ( a muse to the Jean Simmons character).
Michel Legrand wrote the score
Poor Marni Nixon...She never had to dub Shirley Jones voice ver...although she does not sing in this one.
Tina Louise studied The Method with Lee Strasberg at the Actors Studio
So it's now 130am thursday Nov 14th New York...My guess for the new day THE HAPPY ENDING.
My compliments on this. This is MGM/UA. Forsythe is here. The Method, a connection to Poor Marni, yet where's the spaghetti sauce? And "who's on top?" I again say no.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I was losing track of what has been guessed already, so here is our Negative Inventory to date (as chronologically submitted):

[*]Malena

[*]The Imposters

[*]Big Night

[*]Man of La Mancha

[*]Noises Off

[*]The Fugitive Kind

[*]The Pride and the Passion

[*]Tea With Mussolini

[*]The Young Lions

[*]I Love You to Death

[*]Baby the Rain Must Fall

[*]U Turn

[*]They All Laughed

[*]Joan of Arc

[*]Heaven Knows Mr. Allison

[*]Secret of Santa Vittoria

[*]The Key (1958)

[*]Lady L

[*]Modesty Blaise

[*]On the Beach

[*]Five Miles to Midnight

[*]How to Murder Your Wife

[*]Buona Sera Mrs. Campbell

[*]Exodus

[*]More Than a Miracle/C'era una volta

[*]The Long Hot Summer

[*]Sweet Bird of Youth

[*]Rally 'Round the Flag Boys

[*]The Ox-Bow Incident

[*]Lord Jim

[*]Sybil

[*]One, Two, Three

[*]Two for the Road

[*]Paris Blues

[*]The Brothers Karamazov

[*]The Defiant Ones

[*]Duel at Diablo

[*]The Miracle Worker

[*]In Cold Blood

[*]No Down Payment

[*]Night of the Iguana

[*]A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

[*]Inn of the Sixth Happiness

[*]Beat the Devil

[*]Suddenly, Last Summer

[*]Baby Doll

[*]The Glass Menagerie (1987)

[*]On My Way to the Crusades, I met a Girl Who (La cintura di castità)

[*]The Hunting Party

[*]To Sir, With Love

[*]From the Terrace

[*]The Happy Ending

[*]Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte
[/list]
Just FYI...no question or guess yet.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ROclockCK said:
I was losing track of what has been guessed already, so here is our Negative Inventory to date (as chronologically submitted):
[*]Malena
[*]The Imposters
[*]Big Night
[*]Man of La Mancha
[*]Noises Off
[*]The Fugitive Kind
[*]The Pride and the Passion
[*]Tea With Mussolini
[*]The Young Lions
[*]I Love You to Death
[*]Baby the Rain Must Fall
[*]U Turn
[*]They All Laughed
[*]Joan of Arc
[*]Heaven Knows Mr. Allison
[*]Secret of Santa Vittoria
[*]The Key (1958)
[*]Lady L
[*]Modesty Blaise
[*]On the Beach
[*]Five Miles to Midnight
[*]How to Murder Your Wife
[*]Buona Sera Mrs. Campbell
[*]Exodus
[*]More Than a Miracle/C'era una volta
[*]The Long Hot Summer
[*]Sweet Bird of Youth
[*]Rally 'Round the Flag Boys
[*]The Ox-Bow Incident
[*]Lord Jim
[*]Sybil
[*]One, Two, Three
[*]Two for the Road
[*]Paris Blues
[*]The Brothers Karamazov
[*]The Defiant Ones
[*]Duel at Diablo
[*]The Miracle Worker
[*]In Cold Blood
[*]No Down Payment
[*]Night of the Iguana
[*]A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
[*]Inn of the Sixth Happiness
[*]Beat the Devil
[*]Suddenly, Last Summer
[*]Baby Doll
[*]The Glass Menagerie (1987)
[*]On My Way to the Crusades, I met a Girl Who (La cintura di castità)
[*]The Hunting Party
[*]To Sir, With Love
[*]From the Terrace
[*]The Happy Ending
[*]Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte
[/list]Just FYI...no question or guess yet.
Sad part. A couple of those aren't even R1 DVD.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Again, many thanks for your great work, Steve.I got nothing now. Nothing but a black-hole and creeping deadness in my noggin. LOL.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Since many of the clues can be linked to so many movies in tenuous stretches (I'm sure, with a little Kevin Baconing we could link every clue to every movie), I'm just going to throw out a wishful guess.Joe Vs. The Volcano

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
David Weicker said:
Since many of the clues can be linked to so many movies in tenuous stretches (I'm sure, with a little Kevin Baconing we could link every clue to every movie), I'm just going to throw out a wishful guess.Joe Vs. The Volcano
No David. First off this is a Warner. As to linking anything to anywhere. you can always tether something to something. Here there is a definite pattern beyond the casual. Do keep asking questions. They are key. Now if Rock and others will like I could give a partial Cliff Notes to each if that helps jog something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks