What's new

GAME (2 of 3): Guess An Upcoming Twilight Time Release (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
To again keep this fun. I’m giving you three clues today. One of them is related to everyone’s favorite clue. And no Schan, I’m not talking about Joe Eszterhas.

Clue 1: The Grant of the 20th has a cameo of sorts.

Clue 2: Joe Eszterhas comes again.

Clue 3: The man who chopped the lady gets unflattering treatment.

Clue 4: A player from a New World production starts over with Cecil B’s delight. E

Clue #5: Reitman directed a remake. Sorta. A major subplot is near identical.
Minus some modern touches.

Clue #6: One of Q.T.’s “victims” was considered. Casting wise.

Clue #7: The original Sheldrake was not invited.

Clue #8: The daughter of Tippi replaces Goldberg in the film. K

Clue #9: A James Whale of fairer things.

Note: The lettered responses are like one big larger clue that once completed should point the way. They don’t lead to the film per se but to something that knocks on the door.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The Drowning Pool

(Damn it..Warner brothers. Also...probably Tippi's daughter means...daughter in one of her roles? Yes...that is my question...)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Born Yesterday

Other then Goldberg and the possible connection the the "Again" as its a remake I cant connect it to the clues.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
We have a winner!

Bruce will announce the winner.

We have one more unannounced Twilight Time title that we will start a
third game with on Sunday.

Thanks for all who stayed involved with this game.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
TonyD said:
Born Yesterday

Other then Goldberg and the possible connection the the "Again" as its a remake I cant connect it to the clues.
TonyD is our winner. It is Born Yesterday (1950). Congrats! And hopefully the ghost of Eszherhas will be soon behind us. Now if you want me to explain any clues. I will. People might have a few questions. So Ron please don't lock this immediately. I want to explain any loose ends people might have. If possible.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
JohnD but close friends call me TonyD.

Yes please on the clues.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
Yeah sorry about your name Tony. I did correct it but not before you commented.Okay.Clue #1: The U.S. Grant of the 20th Century was Warren G. Harding of the Teapot Dome Scandal. Both Grant and Harding were involved in bribery offenses that rocked both presidencies. In Born Yesterday (1950), a "teapot" is mentioned in the schooling of Billie Dawn.Clue # 2: Born Yesterday's author Garson Kanin sold the rights of the play to Columbia for a then unheard of $1 million dollars. Joe Eszterhas repeated the feat years later by selling the script to Basic Instinct (1992) for a then unheard of 3 million dollars. Hence Joe Eszterhas comes again.Clue # 3: Author Garson Kanin modeled part of his Harry Brock character after then Columbia studio head Harry Cohn. Cohn was known as I'm sure many of you know for cutting or "chopping" Orson Welles' famous film The Lady from Shanghai (1947). So.. "The man who chopped the lady gets unflattering treatment." You guys are so clever I didn't capitalize The Lady figuring you would get it anyway.
The rest of these are coming. But as you can see, I'm explaining these in detail. More are coming.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Neat clues, really.

I had that second clue early on but forgot about it.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
Clue #4: The actor John Goodman who plays Harry Brock in the remake appeared in a New World Production early in his career. He "starts over" with an element from Cecil B. DeMille's most loved project The Ten Commandments (1956). The Egyptian plague of pestilence was spread by rats. Or mice perhaps. This is a dig at Disney. So... John Goodman starts over with Disney. Had I said that though, it would haven been lights out in the first minute.Clue #5: Ivan Reitman's film Dave (1992) is a semi-remake in many respects. Dave is schooled in higher learning as much as Billie is. Both films are also set in Washington D.C. The subplot is where the two aides are coaching him on how to be President much like Holden teaches Billie.Clue #6: Quentin Tarantino's victim was Adolf Hitler. The quotes indicated a two-fold connection. Tony Curtis famously remarked that kissing Marilyn Monroe was like kissing Hitler. So "Hitler" was considered for the cast. In this case the role Judy Holiday eventually played. According to author Kanin, Columbia execs were very excited about Marilyn's screen test but Harry never bothered to watch her footage.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Clue 2 had me chasing a different angle. It is unclear when the option for Schulman's Medicine Man was originated.

Rumor's were it was optioned right after DPS. If so, it would have occured before Basic Instinct got its $3 mil. (which got we away from chasing expensive scripts)

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
schan1269 said:
Clue 2 had me chasing a different angle. It is unclear when the option for Schulman's Medicine Man was originated.

Rumor's were it was optioned right after DPS. If so, it would have occured before Basic Instinct got its $3 mil.
These are clues not a doctoral thesis. I keep telling myself that. :)I made the comparison for your convenience. Start laughing, I know. Joe Eszterhas is renown for writing that big money script as was Kanin in his day. This was my take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks