What's new

Galvanized pipe for DSS mast ? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Hornfeck

Auditioning
I'm thinking of sticking a section of pipe up through my roof to serve as a mast for my dish. It makes sense since I don't have a chimney to mount on the side of. WHAT size pipe should I use? The Home Depot has 1" pipe, collars, etc. I'm building a new house and NOW would be the time to do this.
Thanks
Andrew

DougRuss

Stunt Coordinator
You'll need 1 5/8" Dia. Pipe.
Couldn't you just put the pole(pipe) in the yard some where?
Don't know if I would want a chunk of pipe coming out of the roof of my New Home?
eek.gif

Andrew Hornfeck

Auditioning
Just HOW do you mean? Lag bolt it directly to the decking and seal it with silicon or what?
Thanks for the suggestions...
Andrew

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
The yard would work only if a clear signal was present, and from ground level, oftentimes it is not.
Mine is up on my roof, but if I had to do again I'd mount it on the side of my house (single story would need about 15'). If you wanted to switch sats later you could loosen the brackets on the side of the house and move it to the new sat's position. A good option for those of us that don't like heights.
Glenn

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
If you find the correct size, you could use those plumbing vent stacks...? But the pipe would have to be secured inside the attic, not by the stack. It would just seal out the elements.
------------------
Regards,
Todd

My HT

Users who are viewing this thread