What's new

Gallo Micros (1 Viewer)

Brad Scott

Agent
Probably covered many times before, but how do these little guys sound? My room is 21 x 13 — will these Micros be sufficient?

I'm finding it hard to believe that these little 4" speakers (with no tweeter) will sound at all impressive. What's the real scoop?

Thanks

RogersK

Auditioning
Hey dude:
I have not heard them, but I am looking for a HT speaker setup now, and liked the looks of them on paper.
My room is gonna be 19 X 13, similar to yours.

I am thinking the Micros (4") not be enough for rooms our size. Now they do make a little larger speakers, 5 inch, that may be more suitable.

These things are not cheap though. I was thinking maybe getting the Due' for the front left, right, and center, and then the Micros for the surrounds. The Due' is actually two micros with a tweeter in the middle I think. However, at retail price, this would run around $3000 (600 for each Due, and assuming 4 surrounds for 7.1 sound, and subwoofer). I believe the speakers are good, but probably not worth $3000.

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
To my ears the Gallos sounded thin & brittle. This is in a listening room of a good shop with Josephs, horns, etc. powered by good megabuck equipment. I don't think they'd work for that room size either.

If it's small & unobtrusive you're looking for, why not look into the KEF KHT 2005.2?

gregD

Second Unit
Most anything will sound second-rate compared to Joseph's... they're among the 3 best I've ever heard.

Meanwhile, I've heard the Micros (hooked up to NAD), and I think they sound rather excellent for their size and price... but this was in a near-field setup (12 x 12 - ?) at a dealer... I'm pretty sure they would be insufficient in your 13 x 21 room.

Have not heard the Due's, but their new floorstanding Reference 3 is a terrific full-range speaker... and it better be for $3500/pr.

I would avoid Gallo subs in any event... 'flabby'-sounding.

I think you might wanna move up in size to bookshelves or small monitors on stands.

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
I've heard the Gallos. They have some good qualities considering their size. But, I don't really think they'll come close to doing what you want unless you go for the Duos. I think you're paying a premium for them being so small. Personally, I'd check out the ELT system from ACI. I've heard it sounds quite good, looks great and you can try it out for 30 days.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
I have a pair of Micros that I use for rear speakers. They do a fine job for movies, but for DVD-A and SACD, they do sound a little bright, harsh, and brittle. I only have some PSB 6Ts to compare them to at home. Sadly no Josephs :frowning:

I'll second the AV123 (or ACI) ELTs :)

BTW, Uvola? (the egg-shaped speakers in one of the posts above) Wasn't that the episode in which Seinfeld couldn't remember the girl he's been dating's name? :)

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
Micros were on my audition list when I purchased a system for my parents.

Ended up with Canton Plus XL. IMO better sound for the $.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks