Gallipoli: Special Collector's Edition - Dec. 13

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Casey C., Sep 13, 2005.

1. Casey C.

Casey C. Stunt Coordinator

The Digital Bits reports that "Gallipoli: Special Collector's Edition" will be released on Dec. 13.

[​IMG]

Anyone have any info on specs for this? I can't find a press release anywhere. Amazon has it but with very limited info.

This has long been on my list of "maybe I'll buy this someday when an SE comes out" DVDs.

The cover looks nice, although they could have come up with a better photo than just Mel Gibson looking hunky.

2. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer Stunt Coordinator

For various reasons (mostly to do with his politics, but let's not get into that), I can't stand Mel Gibson, and his presence sours what is otherwise a magnificent movie. I can understand why they've plastered him all over the packaging, for commercial reasons if nothing else, though I wish it were otherwise. I'll still buy a copy of the special edition because - as I say - the movie is strong enough to withstand Gibson's presence, and because Paramount's previous DVD release featured various multichannel soundtracks (5.1 and 2.0), but not the theatrical mono version. This is a perfect opportunity for them to correct their mistake. Here's hoping...

3. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

I don't know if its a possible guide to extras on this release but the region 4 has:

Theatrical Trailer
    Biographies-Cast & Crew
    Filmographies-Cast & Crew
    DVD Credits
    Interviews-Crew-Peter Weir (Director)
    Interviews-Cast-Mel Gibson (Actor)
    Featurette-Documentary: "Boys Of The Dardanelles"
    Notes-The Keith Murdoch Letter
    Gallery-Photo
    Notes-In Depth Gallipoli Material
    DVD-ROM Extras

review here:

http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews...D=2&PID=778548

4. PatW

PatW Screenwriter

Patricia

That's too bad. I myself lately can't stand his politics and certainly some of his opinions but that doesn't prevent me from admitting that he's an excellent director and a good actor. I thought he was great in Gallipoli and also Year of Living Dangerously. I think he's just phoned in his performance in some of his recent movies, but he was amazing in Gallipoli. Of course, that's just my opinion.

5. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

This movie might have the best... ending... shot... ever!!!

I certainly slouched back in my chair and exclaimed "oh my god!" when my 10th grade history teacher showed us this in class.

6. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer Stunt Coordinator

That's too bad. I myself lately can't stand his politics and certainly some of his opinions but that doesn't prevent me from admitting that he's an excellent director and a good actor.

I understand exactly where you're coming from, Pat. Gibson is a good director (I enjoyed THE MAN WITHOUT A FACE, for instance), and I'll take the first opportunity to see THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST. But the more you research Gibson the man, the more off-putting he becomes. That said, however, if we all decided to boycott movies featuring people whose personal ideologies we loathed, we'd probably end up not watching any movies at all! [​IMG] So, I'll still go out of my way to see some of his movies, but only if they have something else - apart from his presence - which makes me want to see it in the first place.

NB. I really don't intend for this to turn into a 'let's-bash/praise-Mel-Gibson's-politics' thread. I hope my comments are viewed as nothing more a personal viewpoint, and not as the groundwork for a political debate. GALLIPOLI has much more going for it than Gibson, and the movie itself is a masterpiece. Discuss. [​IMG]

7. DouglasBr

DouglasBr Stunt Coordinator

I remember seeing this while visiting a college friend in Pittsburgh over Thanksgiving 1981. In the afternoon we saw "Time Bandits" and that evening "Gallipoli". We knew about the Time Bandits, of course, having been keen on Monty Python et al. Gallipoli was a big unknown -- "just some Australian WW1 flick" -- which we loved upon seeing.

All this buildup to state that we didn't know who Mel Gibson was, either before or after the movie. If anything, I thought it was a Peter Weir movie at the time, with Mark Lee playing the "main" character. Only with his later success did I hear of Gallipoli as being a "Mel Gibson movie" (it may have been called that at the time, I just didn't know it).

Not that I mind Mel; I like many of his movies. But I think I always preferred the "final shot" picture from the movie posters for cover art than the hunky-Mel photo that's been used since the letterbox VHS version.

I thought I read recently that Weir recorded a commentary for Gallipoli. Hope I'm right.

8. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

Hell, I don't even consider this a Mel Gibson movie anyway. For me, the star was Mark Lee as Archy Hamilton. But Mel does have more marketing muscle.

I first saw "Gallipoli" in the early 80's as part of a double feature with "Breaker Morant". They were my introduction to Australian films. I look forward to this release.

9. PatW

PatW Screenwriter

Patricia

The first Aussie movie I ever saw was the Road Warrior. There were two girls from New Zealand that owned a video store near where I lived and they recommended Gallipoli to me after seeing that i enjoyed the Road Warrior. At the time I didn't know who Mel Gibson was, this being the early 80's. This certainly is Mark Lee's picture but at the time I can remember thinking that Mel Gibson had the more interesting role. Since then I followed his career even when no-one knew who he was. It was interesting seeing him rise to become a star.

As was stated previously, if we stopped watching movies because we didn't like a particular actor/actress's political views then there wouldn't be much to watch.

10. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Fantastic movie (one of my all time favs). I agree that's a ridiculous cover, though, and I don't normally complain about such things.
    Yes it does....without a doubt.