What's new

Gallery of my Adire speaker setup (1 Viewer)

George W

Stunt Coordinator
Well, some of you may have heard that I finished my 5.1 Adire speaker system a couple of months ago, but now I have finally gotten around to taking pictures. You can view them all at http://students.washington.edu/gw2001/speaker1.htm. I must say that I'm very pleased with the way they turned out and I enjoyed my first woodworking experience immensely; I'm hooked! I took my time building them (a loooong time) but I'm very satisfied with the results and I don't regret a minute of it. They sound good with music and handle HT especially well. Certainly enough to blow all of my college buddies away! My only qualm is that I wish they were a little more forgiving with some sources, but I suppose I just need to get more refined taste in music ;). Thanks to everyone who helped me along the way, especially James W. Johnson for letting me addition them in his home and Adire Audio for their excellent customer service. Cheers gang and here's to making music.

George Wright

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Those look really nice, good work! I like what you did with the sub, where did you get the idea for the detachable base?

Cam S

Screenwriter
That sub is incredible looking!!! Is it a downfiring sub? It's hard to tell in the pictures.

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
George,

Really great looking collection of speakers! Is that a veneer finish, or a laminated plywood over top?

I'm curious how you achieved the edge detail.

I really like what you've done. I'll bet they sound quite impressive!

Congrats-

Wes Nance

Al Garay

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! And this is your first woodworking project? You are sick! It's not supposed to be this easy.

You get a 4.0 for your first project.

Al

Adam O

Stunt Coordinator
I too would like to know how exactly you achieved the look on the edges. It appears to be 1/4" (?) veneer with something squished into the joints and smoothed down at a 45 degree angle ?

BTW they look great.

Thanks
Adam

George W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys for the kind comments. I encourage everyone who's been considering diy to jump in get their hands dirty. It's a lot of fun, educational, and very rewarding.

Owen,
I wanted to do something a little different than most of the sub feet I saw on the net. I was looking at some of the klipch sub feet and from there the idea evolved into more of an enclosed design. I ran it by Dan Wiggins before I built to make sure that the sound quality wouldn't be affected, and it seems fine to me.

Cam,
Yes it is downfiring. The base is detachable so I can get at the driver if I need to.

Peter,
Thanks, I thought it up as I was making the webpage but I think it fits well. In fact, I get the feeling that all the subs I make in my lifetime will end up being
Colussus II, Colossus III and so on. It just doesn't feel right for a sub not to be a Colossus. (no offense
Brian B. ;))

Andrus, Wes, and Adam,
I used 10 mil (I think) cherry veneer on the sub. I can't remember the name of the veneer, but it was unique with a layer of foil between the wood and the paper backing. This is present to keep the glue from interacting with the finish and vice versa. The veneer went on fine and was easy to use, but the problem came when I tried to do a normal veneer edge with a flush trim router bit. The edge of the foil layer was visible to the naked eye and when light reflected off of it, it stood out like a sore thumb. The edge detailing you see was my idea (actually I think it might have been recommended on this forum) for hiding the foil. I used a 45 degree bit (not too deep) on the router and ran it along all of the edges. Then I taped off all of the edges methodically and spray painted the routed edge with Rustoleum Pro flat black. When I polyurethaned the sub the edges got a gloss to them that I think looked better in the end. I have to admit that I was originally very upset about my "compromise" but seeing it finished I think it adds a touch of class and was better in the long run. I recommend the method but the taping off of all the edges can get very tedious.

Al,
Thanks professor!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks