What's new

Galaxy S6 Impressions and Reviews (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I just got this case today:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Protective-Cover-Galaxy-S6/dp/B00UCZH01A/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1430408918&sr=1-1&keywords=EF-QG920BBEGUS&tag=androidcentral00-20&m1k=vb_ac

It's a little more expensive but it won't break the bank. It gives me better grip without adding much bulk and since it only fastens on to the corners, all the buttons are uncovered. The corner of the case prevents the base of my thumb from touching the edge of the screen. It probably doesn't provide a lot of protection, but I was concerned about getting more secure handling with a bare minimum of bulk, and this case gives me just that.

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I switched from an apple to this phone (my first android phone.) I'm finding the learning curve to be steep. The user interface doesnt seem to be as intuitive as the apple. I can never find or do what I want to do as of right now. I have had the phone for about a week.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Whenever I pick up an iOS device, it takes me forever to find settings and menus. What exactly is it that's causing problems?

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I understand the perspectives. Within the first week I had to factory reset the phone three times after trying to install a program that screwed up the phone. The other two times were my fault for trying to install it again. I can't assign sounds to specific programs. I can't choose which location services that I want to allow. The autocorrect on this phone is really dumb. I have to installed plug ins when it just worked on the apple. I hate the amount of bloat ware this phone has on it. However, I'll get the hang of it soon enough. :)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The new Samsung Clear Cover case continues to impress. The grip and handling have increased exponentially with an almost inconsequential increase in bulk. The fact that it leaves the sides open means that there is zero additional width with the case on. I can now comfortably maneuver around all corners of the screen with one hand, even while lying down in bed. I feel like my old self again -- before the case, I handled the phone gingerly and couldn't put it down on a smooth surface without first checking if there was any grade.

It's biggest drawback is the $35 price tag -- in fact, all of Samsung's OEM accessories are grotesquely expensive. Luckily, Amazon sells it for a more reasonable $16 (link is a couple of posts above).

I would highly recommend this case for people like me who don't like cases and never used them in the past. Doesn't appear to offer much in drop protection, but it's primary purpose was to make the phone easier to handle, and for that purpose it's fantastic. For those who want a real case, this isn't going to be enough for you.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Hanson said:
The new Samsung Clear Cover case continues to impress...

I decided to order this case as well, instead of the one I linked. I think I will like the fact of it not covering the buttons and cable/headphone jacks.

It's supposed to be here today.

Still liking the phone too but it's taking a while to get used to button and jack locations being different from my old phone. Just a minor thing though.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I'm not fond of the relocation of the headphone jack. For starters, when I'm in the passenger seat with an aux cable plugged in, the plug prevents me from holding the phone naturally in my left hand, forcing me to hold it gingerly so I don't put lateral pressure on the plug. And when I put the phone in my left pocket, the plug pushes against the front side of my jeans pocket, and I'm afraid that constant pressure will damage the jack. I got so paranoid I flipped the phone around so the screen was facing out (resulting in a very awkward process to pull the phone out). When the jack was on top, neither of these were issues.

Luckily, I rarely use the jack (I mostly listen via BT headphones, but the batteries were dead that day). If I did use wired headphones, I would be really concerned about the pocket thing.

If you set the camera to use the volume key to take pictures (which is by default) the up volume button is in a natural shutter position, and now that it's a separate button instead of a rocker, it feels more natural as a shutter button. Its only drawback is that you need a little more pressure than you would normally get with a dedicated shutter button.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The camera on the S6 is as good as advertised, but what I'm really digging is taking macro pictures in Pro Mode.

20150508_191731_001.jpg

20150508_075336.jpg

20150507_181600.jpg

20150502_095711_20150502100211082.jpg

20150502_175429_20150502213852090.jpg

20150509_100931.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks