What's new

Galaxy S Phones - Got one? Let's talk. (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
With Samsung releasing 4 versions of the Galaxy S line with different features related to the network they are on I felt it was a good idea to

start up a thread for this line of phones.

Post your comments and your questions here to discuss them with other owners or potential owners.

mylan

Screenwriter
I just got the Captivate for AT&T yesterday and I am trying to find the app for Goggle GPS that is like the one found on Verizon's Droid phones. This was the killer app that swung me in the direction of the Captivate rather than going with the iphone. I will say that going from a non-smartphone to this has been a steep learning curve.

The things I love include: texting in general, swype in particular. I always had trouble texting but this feature is awesome, the screen in general, it is unreal.

The things I have yet to get used to: everything else, like I said, steep learning curve....

Edit: The charger connection seems loose, when you are using the phone while connected it comes disconnected quite easily.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
In Google Maps, search for driving directions. At the next screen, one of the choices will be "Navigate". This will automatically open the Google Nav program with all of the map info pulled from Maps. If you don't see the Navigation option, go to the Marketplace and update Google Maps.

There is a separate Sprint Navigation program installed, but the Google one is better since the Google Maps integration is seamless.

IF you are into texting, get Handcent and turn off notifications on the native texting program or you will end up with double notifications.

mylan

Screenwriter
Thanks Hanson,

I actually read your response on the phone while I was out. I had to look for it but the app is labled "navigation" . I first entered Q-Trip, which was a gas station within site of me but I swear it took five minutes to aquire the GPS signal but once it was up it worked like a charm. I next said "Chastain Ampitheater" because we are going to a Heart concert next week and it immediately brought up the driving directions and image. I was startled when a female voice began giving me directions. This is the killer app is was talking about in chosing this over the iphone, last night I was leaning toward trading it in for one but now maybe shes a keeper, thanks again!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Slow GPS lock is an unfortunate issue on all Galaxy phones, something Samsung is saying they're working on . But if you don't mind the five minute wait, it's not a huge issue.

mylan

Screenwriter
Hmm, once the GPS had me I guess thats why the second search went much faster. It is stil better than paying $9.99 for AT&T navigator.

Now I am trying to set up my Charter e-mail, now I know why everyone always seem to be staring down at their phones, they're trying to figure them out

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Originally Posted by mylan

Edit: The charger connection seems loose, when you are using the phone while connected it comes disconnected quite easily.

Make sure the micro USB cover is all the way open. There is a snag when it is most of the way open, and many people think it's all the way. When it's still partially open, the plastic on the cable gets caught on it and doesn't go all the way in.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I have the Captivate. GPS lock is the only real issue, and hopefully Samsung is working on it, not just saying they are. I follow everything going on with the phone on the XDA forum (and sometimes make use of it).

I rooted it and removed the AT&T bloatware, which sped things up quite a bit.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying everything I can do with this phone. I don't need my laptop much, except when I'm working.

mylan

Screenwriter
Joe, thanks for the tips, I will try the USB cover idea. I got a free car charger out of the deal and I was thinking I would never use it due to it slipping out, still it would have been nice to have had the connector at the bottom of the phone. It seems like a waste that just the microphone is there.

I just might get you to PM me with details on how to root it but so far I haven't even peeled the plastic cover off the back in case I return it, however, that is seeming less and less likely. The more I use it the less iphone envy I seem to have, even though I have waited on iphone 4 since about Feb. when I heard they were coming out.

I am hoping that when ver. 2.2 comes out it might address the GPS issue. Any other tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Yep, the USB cover wasn't open all the way, works much better, thanks!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
How to increase GPS performance in Galaxy phones:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/17/samsung-galaxy-s-gps-gate-two-problems-not-one-and-what-to-do/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks