What's new

Galaxy Quest DD or DTS? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I just picked up a copy of Galaxy Quest on dvd. I love this movie and found it on sale today for $14.99. Anyway, it looks to be a little different than the one that has been out for awhile now. Are there 2 versions of this dvd? I thought the one I saw awhile ago had both DD and DTS on it. Or is it one or the other. The copy I bought today say's nothing of DTS, just DD and it says on the front cover never before seen footage. Is this a new version? I have never seen that before. And which version is better? DTS or DD? I usually buy DTS but really don't feel like taking this back. But if the DTS version is ALOT better, then I will take it back.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Galaxy Quest was released in separate DD and DTS versions. The features were the same and included deleted scenes, which is probably the "never before seen footage".

I've never compared the two versions, but (predictably) some people say the DTS is superior.

M.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I was just wondering if this copy I have has the extra footage inserted into the actual movie itself, or as you said, it might just be deleted scenes.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I very much doubt that a new version of Galaxy Quest could have appeared without anyone here noticing it, but the easiest way to check is to look at the copyright date on the back of the box at the bottom. I'll bet it's 2000, which is when the disc was released (the date higher up, under the film credits, should be 1999 -- the year the film was released).

If it's the 2000 disc (and I'm sure it is), the film is the theatrical cut and the deleted scenes are presentedly separately.

M.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yes, the copyright date is 2000. So it would say 2001 or 2002 if it was a newer release? So are you saying that the date at the bottom of every dvd shows exactly what year that paticular dvd was released? Never knew that before. An if that is the case and this is not a new edition, I will be taking it back for the DTS version.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Yes, the copyright date is 2000. So it would say 2001 or 2002 if it was a newer release?
Like I said, it's hard to imagine that a second release occurred without anyone here or on the major review sites noticing. The fact that your disc has the same date as everyone else's just confirms that it's the same release.

M.

Paul P

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Actually my version has DD and DTS. I'm 99.99% sure of it. I'll double check tonight to verify. If I'm remembering right, the DTS version actually has both.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>I very much doubt that a new version of Galaxy Quest could have appeared without anyone here noticing it,

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
The DTS has better sound in that there is much less dialog crackling than the DD version.

Man, my sister's gonna make fun of me again.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
There was very recent price reduction on this title, and there are separate DD and DTS versions. The DTS version sounds better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks