Galactica, Sopranos and the Shield

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dave Scarpa, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    What do they all have in common?

The Ability to sit down to watch aafew episodes and your watching the whole damn Set. This happened to me with the latest Galactica Set, this show is just so damn addicting. And like the Sopranos, Shield and 24, actully play better on DVD than the weekly TV Format. You appreciate the writing and characters so much more when you view the episodes one right after the other.

2. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    I missed the last couple of shows from the first half of BSG S2, so my plan is to catch up on those this weekend before the second half premieres. I've been hearing nothing but great things about "Pegasus"...I've been tempted to just skip to it, but I feel I shouldn't.

3. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

I don't know if I'd call Galactica addicting. I had thought about picking up Galactica 2.0 but paying $32.99 the week of release for only 10 episodes? This is a reason why I have passed on OZ and MI-5. They don't offer you a whole lot of episodes for the hiogh price tag attached to the set. The same thing with The Shield series. It seems like the studios are trying to squeeze the money out of their flagship titles.

I don't mind that so much but with the main DVD sets selling for around $39.99 to $44.95 for a season set and you get anywhere from 22-26 episodes, it just seems that the studios. Before I'd try out these shows, I'd be more apt to dig into a new show such as Buffy or Desperate Housewives and be guaranteed a decent number of episodes. COnsidering I've paid $30-40 per set for Gilmore Girls and Smallville so price is no problem but the main problem with studios grabbing new fans is the content of the number of episodes.

4. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

I agree on Galactica. I call it Battlestar Cracktica. I bought the Season 2.0 and watched all 10 episodes in three days. Best show on TV since The Simpsons was funny.

5. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Please stop comparing cable shows to network shows; the cable shows demand a premium, and ALL the studios are pricing them pretty much the same (HBO shows are more).

It's a shame you passed on MI-5. That is the BEST spy show I've ever seen, and the DVDs are brilliant. 2 episode per disc, and they're loaded with commentaries, interviews, behind-the-scenes material, and lots more. They're anamorphic widescreen, and sound great with 5.1 sound.

Gord

6. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    The same thing happened to me on Galactica as it did B5. Both series had Pilot's that I was Lukwarm about for B5 it was the Gathering, But I was hooked after it's 1st ep. Same thing on Galactica, the Mini Series was OK, better than I expected, but the Series has been phenominal from the start. Luckily I was able to see past my admiration of the Original series, I still enjoy the Original, but the New show is I think everything I hoped the Original would be.