Gah! Woodpeckers!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Apr 24, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Every year, it never fails. Right around April, I have an annoying woodpecker that perches itself outside my wall in my room and starts pecking away at 7:30 AM like clockwork.

I'll bang on the wall to scare it off, but about 30 minutes later, it makes a return visit. Thankfully it never stays there for more than a month, and dosn't peck itself out during the night. But is there anyway to discourage it from sitting on the side of the house?

I seem to remember an episode of home Improvement where they had the same problem and used a wooden owl to scare it away. But any other solutions?

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

3. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

A pellet rifle works great.

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    The "wooden" owls I've seen in the hardware stores are now made of plastic.

5. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Get a plastic Loony Tunes Sylvester the Cat for Woody?

Around these parts, huge flocks of crows can be a problem. Even when their mating (now) they just scream and caw.

6. Blaine Skerry

Blaine Skerry Second Unit

It's not often you see or hear the word "gah" anymore. It takes me back to the late '60's and WEIRD magazine. Their rather lurid covers often featured "gah" along with a drawing of a blood-spewing severed artery. I know this has nothing to do with woodpeckers, but thanks for the "remebrance of things past".

7. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

8. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Our house is clad with cedar and the woodpeckers LOVE IT! We have had problems for god knows how long, and they go as far as pecking right into the attic, and then blackbirds go in and nest, NOT GOOD! We've already patched 5 holes and more are being worked on every morning and during the days now.

We tried the owl, and it didn't work at all, the birds started actually perching on it, and it started getting white from all the bird crap.

The ONLY solution that has worked thus far has been a high powered air rifle with a scope. Ya it kills them, but what else can we do when they are wrecking our house? The peckers are pretty smart though so you have too sneak up then as best you can, though I'm thinking about camping out one night to get them, but that seems a little too military for me, haha.

I'd love to hear of any other solutions that work other than killing them, as I love animals and it sucks to do this.

9. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

If you can reach the area where the woodpecker is going after, cut some 1" wide, 12" long strips of tin foil and hang them around its target area. This works very well. I don't know why, it just does.