G4 Tech TV sinks to new low

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Marc Bax, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

Well it's official they've fired Alex, Yoshi, and Dan from TSS (as well as several behind the scenes crew members). They also canceled Unscrewed so Martin and Laura are fired as well. They gathered em all up at 11 AM and told em to be out of the office by 3, what a bunch of a**holes. The newly "retooled" TSS will debut shortly after Thanksgiving with Kevin and Sarah the lone remaining cast members. I had just finally gotten used to Alex and was actually starting to enjoy him as a host. Damn I hate Comcast!! First losing Leo, Pat and Tech Live, now this. Who actually watches anything else on their station? Now X-Play is the only remaining show from Tech TV. Doubt many of you watch this channel but for those of you that do I thought I'd let you know.

[​IMG]

2. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

Alex and Kevin both have sites that mention it as well.

3. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

I stopped watching TSS a long time ago.

I'll never really understand why G4 bothered to buy Tech in the first place since they did nothing but gut the old Tech network. If I was on the Board of Directors heads would have to run over this one.

4. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

Here's some new pics from Kevin's moblog. Looks like they're at least taking it alright. Damn I miss Tech Tv, they taught me so much and I actually had fun learning it, a very rare feat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

I couldn't believe this at first. What the f*** man. While I admit Alex took some time to get used too, he certainly didn't ruin the show the way G4 did.

As for canceling Unscrewed - this is a travesty. I loved that program, it was fantastic. I hope some other network picks Martin and Laura up.

And of course G4 would never bother "retooling" their shit shows like G4.com, filter and arena. What a horrible way just to phase out the competition.

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I'm actually happy they did it. Unscrewed was a waste of space and Martin just didn't entertain. He was a decent cohort to Leo on Screen Savers whom they should rehire(but probably won't).

Yoshi I won't be unhappy to see go.

7. Marc Bax

Marc Bax Second Unit

Leo still does Call For Help but only for the Canadian version of G4Tech TV. Why they don't show it here is beyond me.

8. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

We all knew TechTV was dead when we first got sight of the "original" G4 programing they had....mindless tripe. Then the news that any "old" hosts didn't fit their "target demographic". Finally when they moved the remaining TechTV to LA we all knew that the Frisco charm was dead from any of these shows and it was only a matter of time before they killed off the rest of the original TechTV shows...this was not a "merger", it was a takeover IMO to acquire more households and destroy the competition & as soon as they sucked what they could from the deal they began destroying the best tech channel there ever was or will probably ever be....I have to agree with the posters at Kevin Rose's site...fuck G4.

You know Adam Sessler is shaking in his boots right now.

9. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

all of G4's shows really really suck. And they need to Re-tool this show!?! All of your shows suck! I see on x-play the re-tooling gave them a new set and playing techno music during the game review too loud to hear Adam and Morgan speaking. Great re-tooling! TSS was fun as it was old friends we've grown to know over time and now they just fired everybody we know. Kevin and Sarah should quit. How this happens and that awful show called 'Player's' and 'Sweat' or even 'judgement day' and on and on and on they all suck.

Up yours G4 lol.

10. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I stopped watching TSS shortly after the move to LA. It just wasn't the same show.

I can't believe that G4 and the Comcast people are really so blind as to miss the substantive difference in quality between the old Tech TV shows and the G4 tripe.

11. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

What kills me is that they are so short sighted, they only want the young gaming viewer's cash and to hell with the older set...it's moronic, you canceled Call For Help which was a show that had something very rare since it drew in all ages (did it ever occur to you that not everyone is a gamer but most households with any consumer cash have a computer?) thereby limiting yourself to the younger crowds cash...they have some heft in the money department to be sure but you could have had everyone's cash! Not just the kids who get the cash from their parents but also the parents themselves!! Idiots.

All G4 wanted was to buy out the competition & grab up the additional broadcast venues...but no let's be clever about it, let's tell the larger TechTV following that we are "merging" the two channels so they will keep watching...then we will slowly (or not so slowly) phase out all of the original TechTV programing, change the name of the station back to simply G4 (if you look at the name of the copyrights at the end of the new shows they no longer say "A G4TechTV Production"..they now only say "A G4 Production") and by then the younger TechTV viewers that we wanted to begin with will be so hooked into our ALL GAMING ALL THE TIME programing that they won't care what we did to TechTV....yeah...that's how it will work, because nothing delights a young person more than authority figures destroying what they love. Brilliant idea.

I'm sure they will draw in exactly the crowd they want...and they deserve them.

12. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

Well did anyone watch the painful new version of TSS? I thought it was pretty bad and I won't ever watch it again. Stupid G4.

13. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Screensavers was why I watched Tech TV. There is nothing redeeming on G4 at all. All of their hosts are shit. The way the shows are presented is shit. Its like a pale immitation of the "cool" factor of MTV...and I would rather have an enema than watch MTV. Where are the actually well done and adult gaming or computer shows with hosts with at least some marginal talent. Oh wait. The hosts on G4 do have talent. The talent to make me nauseaus.

Although, there was one episode of something on G4 that I liked, where it was a roundtable with 4 heads of development studios and the host talking, kinda like Politically Incorrect. That was a good episode I saw of something.

And game magazines are going downhill too. Mainly because of competition. There are too many out now, and most suck. I really miss the days of Next Gen magazine. And the old style of EGM. Although I still think EGM is head and shoulders above Gamepro.

14. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

I miss the days when "Next gen" was "Next Generation", when "Maximum PC" was "boot" and when "Byte" still was around... in short when everything did not pander to the lowest common denominator.

15. Mike Wilk

Mike Wilk Stunt Coordinator

While browsing around I found a link to an mp3 of Leo Laporte's comments on these developments.

Leo's Thoughts

YMMV

16. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Thank you for that Mike, I was wondering what Leo's thoughts were on the whole mess.

17. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Oh my god......I taped the show last night but didn't have the heart to watch it...I just did...Kevin states that it was "his" decision to step down as host but....ah well, I only watched about four minutes of the show and after I heard this statement from one of the cookie cutter G4centric "asian/spikey haired tween" hosts - "I really thought I would feel some bad feelings or animosity stepping into the host position, but they all have been really nice to me.." - I couldn't help but laugh and say out loud "Why would you? They fired everybody who would have bad feelings towards you anyway".
    It makes no difference what pre-teen pandering "direction" the show takes now anyway, it's just a gob of spit on an already cold tombstone.

18. JamieJ

JamieJ Agent

The thing I find funny is, G4 said they fired everyone so they could take screensavers in a new direction well I watched the first "new" show and it's exactly the same crap except with two new hosts and no studio audience. The set, the segments everything is exactly the same. Stupid G4 [​IMG]