1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

G4 Cube Random Sleep/Shutdown Problems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Johnson, May 28, 2002.

1. Jeffrey Johnson

Jeffrey Johnson Stunt Coordinator

My G4 Cube has developed a problem where while I'm using it, it will randomly go to sleep and/or shutdown with no warning. Of course my Applecare has expired, so I'm not sure what to do. Has anyone else experienced this and/or have a solution?
    Thanks!

2. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

What system are you running?

3. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

If you know how you can check to make sure there aren't any loose power connections. There's a possibility that the connection is loose.
    If you have an Apple Store in the area, why not just bring it there? They should be able to help you out for little to no cost at all. I vaguely remember hearing about random activation of the cube's power button by a loose connection. If it is a known issue, they'll probably fix it for nothing.
    Oh yeah, check the Energy Settings Preferences first. You might have set it to do this accidentally. [​IMG]

4. Jeffrey Johnson

Jeffrey Johnson Stunt Coordinator

I recently upgraded to OS X, but the problems had started before that. I turned off the energy settings.

Unfortunately, the nearest Apple Store is about 2 1/2 hours away.

I'll try checking the connections, as much as I can. I really don't want to start taking it apart anymore than necessary.

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Unfortunately, this is a well-known problem with the cube. I've read that there is a rubber gasket on the power switch that sometimes needs to be replaced, but the two units I know that were causing trouble got a temporary fix by using an anti-static mat.

6. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    The power button gasket is a user-serviceable part. Apple provides a "How To" in PDF format here:
    http://www.info.apple.com/support/cip/g4cubecip.html
    I wonder if it's something you could find at a hardware store, rather than trying to get the official service part from Apple or a reseller.