What's new

G.I Joe Season 2 - Part 2??? (1 Viewer)

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator
Has ANYONE heard when this is coming out? Didn't Rhino say they were planning something "special" with this release, hence it's delay?

I also thought I heard something about Rhino losing the rights to Paramount or something?

Also, Theres been talk about a special edition of TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE. Haven't heard anything about this in a while either.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
To my knowledge, Rhino no longer has the rights to G.I. Joe or the similar properties (Transformers, Jem, etc.).

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
So, who has the rights now? Will they finish what Rhino started or will they start over again from scratch? And since that has come up, anyone think any improvements can be made on the Rhino releases of Joe, Transformers or Jem?

I haven't bought any of the DVDs yet except for the first two Joe miniseries and want to avoid a potential double dip.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yes, definitely! There are tons of things they can improve on. I've done a lot of complaining about Rhino's releases. I've got some reviews (of the Transformers sets) on my website. You can also search HTF for posts about Transformers and/or Rhino, and I (and others) have posted about the various things that Rhino screwed up.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
The thing is - even if whoever owns the rights goes through and fixes all the problems, I'm still not double dipping. The current release is good enough for me. All I wanted to do was relive my childhood. I'm not fanboy enough to care that this sound or that bumper isnt quite right.

Same thing with the remainder of GI Joe. Unless whoever has the rights releases a set right where Rhino left off, they can count me out. I dont need the show SO badly that I'm willing to double dip the first half of season 2.

The only thing that MIGHT make me reconsider is tons of extras, like the toy ads. If they included the commercials for the comics and toys - that would probably push me over the top.

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator
I've searched the archives in this forum and here's what Gord Lacey wrote last August responding to frustrated Joe fans regarding Rhino:

It seems silly to me that they withheld part 2 for better special features only for them to not release it at all???

If they knew they were going to lose the rights, they should of released what they had, features or no features.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Well, my contact at Rhino is gone now (sniff), but he told me they're still trying to license the material for the release. It sounds as though they only licensed chunks for their releases, and they're having to go back and get this new material.

With my contact gone, I doubt I'll have a good pipline into the company anymore :frowning:

Gord

Joe:C

Second Unit
Well, at least there's still hope. I'm not going to start buying these sets until I see solid info that we'll get the remaining episodes.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

And they also shouldn't have wasted so much time adding in extra sound effects! They could have released these much faster if they would have just used the original unaltered soundtracks.

Second Unit
I have an interesting update about G.I. Joe S2P2. About 6 weeks ago I emailed Rhino asking if they would be releasing S2P2. Since we haven't heard anything official from Rhino I didn't expect an answer. I opened my email today to actually find a response. Here's what the email said.

So it looks like the current sets will be re-issued. I'm not sure if that means we'll see the rest of the G.I. Joe episodes released or just the currently available sets.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Too bad to hear about that. If Sony is in charge of them, who knows how long it will take as they're not exactly known for speed! I'm especially disappointed that the last part of Jem won't come out either.

Shawn_C

Stunt Coordinator
This is very interesting. I did not know that Sony now has the rights for Sunbow. I hope they will consider releasing the GI Joe season 2part2 and Jem season 3part2.

Second Unit
Ideally we would see the remaining episodes released first, but it's hard to say right now. Jem, G.I.Joe, and My Little Pony were all one set away from being complete(Transformers Armada too, but I think Paramount has that now).

Greg K

Second Unit
Rhino did a terrible job whith both The Transformers and GI JOE. The lack of a GI JOE season 2 Part 2 is just the icing on the incompetence-flavored cake.

Where to begin?

Rhino gave us lousy packaging, lousy extras, extras unrelated to both series, spelling errors in the insert booklets, they used incomplete film masters with incomplete animation, added sound effects, incorrect main/end titles, missing PSAs/historical trailers, and much, much more.

I hadn't seen GI JOE since the original airings, and I still don't feel like I've seen/owned the "real" versions of the episodes.

And it's like the fans don't even care, and will accept an inferior product because the episodes have bright colors and 5.1 sound.

I hope to God that Paramount (or Sony whomever has the rights) will do a *proper* release for both of these classic series (and not just repackage Rhino's versions).

It's easy. Just:

1. Be historically accurate by using the *broadcast* versions of the episodes with original sound/picture, and make sure the main/end titles, recaps, etc. are accurate and in the right spots.

2. Release each season as ONE set. None of this "part 1, part 2," stuff.

2. Have extras in each set that celebrate each season of each series (don't have unused Transformers PSAs from season 2 in the season 3 set, etc.). Year-by-year commercials, etc. would be great.

3. Have season-themed packaging/menus, featuring characters, etc. from that each year in each set.

Here's my ideal version:

THE TRANSFORMERS:

Season 1:

All broadcast versions of episodes in proper order.

Season 1-themed packaging/menus/booklet, with episode synopses, trivia, etc.

Extras: Voice actor/production crew interviews, artwork/model sheets, 1985 toy commercials, scripts, cast/crew fan commentaries (audio and/or text), etc.

Season 2:

Season 2-themed packaging/menus/booklet, with episode synopses, trivia, etc.

Extras: Voice actor/production crew interviews, artwork/model sheets, 1985 toy commercials, scripts, cast/crew fan commentaries (audio and/or text), etc.

The Movie:

Uncut, US and UK versions (via branching)

Trailers, tv spots, music videos, script, interviews/documentary, artwork/model sheets, etc.

Season 3-4:

Season 3-themed packaging/menus/booklet, with episode synopses, trivia, etc.

Extras: Voice actor/production crew interviews, artwork/model sheets, 1986-87 toy commercials, scripts, cast/crew fan commentaries (audio and/or text), etc.

And maybe even the "Season 5" Prime and Tommy Kennedy segments for reruns of episodes, and the Movie (cut into 5 parts for tv).

GI JOE:

The Original Mini-Series:

OMS-themed packaging/menus/booklet, with episode synopses, trivia, etc.

Extras: Voice actor/production crew interviews, artwork/model sheets, 1983-84 toy/comic book commercials, scripts, cast/crew fan commentaries (audio and/or text), etc.

Season 1:

All broadcast versions of episodes in proper order, with appropriate PSAs at the end of episodes.

Season 1-themed packaging/menus/booklet, with episode synopses, trivia, etc.

Extras: Voice actor/production crew interviews, artwork/model sheets, 1984-85 toy commercials, scripts, cast/crew fan commentaries (audio and/or text), etc.

Season 2:

All broadcast versions of episodes in proper order, with PSAs.

Season 2-themed packaging/menus/booklet, with episode synopses, trivia, etc.

Extras: Voice actor/production crew interviews, artwork/model sheets, 1985-86 toy commercials, scripts, cast/crew fan commentaries (audio and/or text), etc.

The Movie:

Extras: Voice actor/production crew interviews, artwork/model sheets, script, cast/crew fan commentaries (audio and/or text), etc.

And maybe even the Sgt. Slaughter segments used for reruns of episodes (and the Movie, when it was cut into 5 parts for tv).

Second Unit
I can see why you're upset, but personally the extra sounds never bothered me. G.I. Joe season 2 could be released as one set, but season 1 has too many episodes.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
If Sony Music is going to release all of these properties, if the pricing on their other sets are any indication, these will be much much cheaper than Rhino's pricing and without the added sound effects and animation.

Paul

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
As a GI Joe fan though, didn't you know going in that this series was going to be incomplete going in since it was only the Sunbow episodes? Even if they finished Season 2 Part 2, that is still 43 episodes you were never going to get because they didn't own the rights to them.

I understand the desire to get all the episodes available, but I sort of feel more for the My Little Pony & JEM fans because they had a chance to get the whole series while the G.I. fans never did.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks