What's new

FYI: Wireless audio/video from PC to HT (1 Viewer)

Kurt_U

Agent
I thought I'd post the reference to this here as I've been looking for the answer for quite some time.

I was looking for a way to send audio/video signals wirelessly from my PC to my home theater via a wireless network. Turns out that isn't possible today, unless you want to spend a lot of money and be severly restricted in what you can send.

But, I did find something that DOES WORK. There are several products on the market that work over 2.4Ghz and transmit audio & video that do work. Here are the links to two of them:

$79.99 First Alert 2.4GHz Wireless Video Sender
http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m...cat=&e=11205400

$69.99 DVD Anywhere by X10
http://www.x10.com/products/x10_vk53a.htm

I just picked up the First Alert from Best Buy and it works great. I had some interference from my cordless phone at first, but I changes the video system to another channel and now it works perfectly.

Now I can play my MP3s via my HT, but more importantly videos. While I own a lot of DVDs and love my digital cable. These products allow you to watch them on your HT rather than just your PC monitor, without having to deal with wires.

I had posted the question in the HTPC area (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...46#post1609328) but didn't find any answers. Just recently came back to the forums here, but found it somewhere else.

Admin Note: References to download sites are not allowed and have been removed.

Kurt_U

Agent
Please note that I do not support the downloading (stealing) of movies/music that are not authorized by either the publisher or the artists.

However, many independent artists (and production studios) make high quality movies available on their websites and on the P2P networks (e.g. like Kazaa and Edonkey) for free. Also some of the networks like Kazaa, now have a large amount of LEGAL and original TV shows available for download (This has been in a number of articles recently including one a couple of months ago in the NY Times.).

I understand that people also use these networks to steal movies and MP3s, but VCRs, DVDRs, and computers also make this possible and we do not strip references to them from the boards.

Again, if a movie or record studio does not authorize the distribution of their movies/music via P2P networks, it is stealing. However, many producers, studios, and artists use the P2P networks to get there name out. Not everyone believes that you have to give 85% of your earnings to someone like Viacom, Vivendi or BGM.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
I can't speak for the First Alert but when i tried the X10 - it was not really all that great when we tried to send our war3 game up to the TV. Was really dark and not too clear. It was only going through 1 wall.

Kurt_U

Agent
I had a similar problem with the First Alert at first, but got it solved after a little adjustments. The transmitter and the receiver each have about a 20 degree arc of signal. If you don't have these lined up fairly well, the picture is fairly dark (or not there at all).

After aligning these, the picture is great.

It works fine my P3 and P4 computers, as they both have decent video cards, but doesn't work very well from my laptop. I called the First Alert customer service and they said that this was because of the video card in the laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks