FYI - Pre order for Stryke HE15 and PR18 has started.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Seaton, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    With the forum down for a few days, I'm not sure that all of you have seen this message from Stryke Audio. To our benefit, John seems to have gotten his CNC router running and is even offering full kits for both the 22" cube and dual HE15 designs, with free assembly for those who are interested. Note the timeline of the pre-order as ending June 14th in the interest of saving us a few bux($20-50 /driver from what I've heard). If you've been interested in one of these, now's probably a good time to jump on it, as any offerings in the future will almost have to be more expensive. Those on the bass list and a few other forums have probably already seen the following e-mail:
    ------------------------------------------------
    I am happy to announce that the HE15 woofers are once again available for
    preorder for a limited time. In order to keep the price low on the
    woofers, the preorder period must be cutoff on June 14, so the order can be
    placed with the manufacturer before they increase prices on June 15. The
    HE15 woofers will be priced at $395 each. If over 100 woofers are ordered,
    the price will be dropped to $375 for all orders. Woofers will be
    scheduled to begin shipping August 1.
    The HE15 woofer is manufactured by TC Sounds, "The Leader in High Excursion
    Bass Drivers." The woofer features an aluminum cone, triple stacked
    magnet, dual 3ohm aluminum VC's, cast basket, 1.4" thick extended gap
    plate, dual spiders, and 2" roll foam surround for 3.5" peak to peak
    excursion.
    Here are the woofer parameters with VC's in series:
    Fs: 26Hz
    Qms: 6.0
    Qes: .35
    Qts: .33
    Vas: 107L
    Re: 6ohm
    BL: 28.7 Tm
    1w SPL: 89dB
    Cms: .145 mm/N
    Mms: 257grams
    Xmax: 22.85mm
    Sd: 720sq cm
    Pe: 2000W max
    Pictures of the woofer can be seen on the website at:
    http://www.stryke.com/SATser.html
    We now have 3 suggested enclosure designs, one for a single woofer
    alignment, and 2 for dual woofer alignments. Complete plans for all 3
    enclosures are available on the website for those who want to build their
    own. For those who do not want to build the enclosures, we offer all 3
    enclosures in kit form, and during the preorder period we will be offering
    FREE ASSEMBLY of the enclosures, typically a $50 charge. Full details on
    all 3 enclosures can be seen here:
    http://www.stryke.com/kits.htm
    All 3 enclosures are passive radiator systems. We are also currently
    taking preorders for the new 18" PR's. These 18" PR's are available in
    both single and dual spider versions. The single spider version ($99) is
    good for up to 2000 grams. The dual spider version ($114) is good for up
    to 3000 grams. Parameters for the PR's are on the following page:
    http://www.stryke.com/prs.htm
    If you have not checked out the thread on the HE15 subwoofer started by Bob
    Sorel on the AVS forum, you may wish to do so. Several people share their
    experiences with the HE15 woofer. There are pictures of some finished
    systems, discussion on amplifiers for the woofer, enclosure building,
    finishing enclosures, etc. The link to this thread is as follows:
    http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/003352.html
    If you have any questions, or cannot find some information on the website
    that you are looking for, please send me an email, or give me a call at
    920-217-0625. Orders can most easily be placed at the Stryke Audio Online
    Store at http://store.stryke.com or if you would prefer, you can call in
    your order.
    Thank you for your time.
    * John E. Janowitz http://www.stryke.com *
    * 929 Laverne Dr. phone: 920-217-0625 *
    * Green Bay, WI 54311 fax: 530-324-6667 *
    * ICQ 6926537 AIM: stryke23x *
    Regards,
    Mark Seaton

2. KonradN

KonradN Stunt Coordinator

I am probably just asking for pure speculations but what do you guys think? will a single stryke 15" with dual 18" Pr in their enclosure kit outperform the dual svs ss package in extension and clean output levels provided both are powered with an equal amount of wattage? The dual stryke system probably will if both system are given their maximum power.

3. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Comparing the Power15.2 to a pair of the SVS SS tubes is really not a fair comparison. One is offered as a DIY kit to keep costs down, and the other is a finished commercial system. Both offer excellent performance, and will outperform subwoofers twice the price, but the goals are different. Both feature extremely advanced woofers. A pair of of the SVS woofers will outdisplace a single HE15 woofer, and due to the larger enclosure size will have an edge for overall output capability, but not by a lot.
    The Power15.2 sub is designed to get you the most output and extension possible in a relatively small enclosure, 22" cube, with 3.8 cubic foot internal volume. The tradeoff is that you have to pay for the amplifier power to push the driver to it's full potential. I recommend 500W per VC, or 1000W total to the HE15 woofer in this alignment to get the most out of it. The dual woofer system is right around 7 cubic foot internal volume. Dual HE15 woofers will have about 1.5 times the volume displacement capability of the dual SVS woofers, giving this alignment the edge in output.
    The cost with the complete kit for the single woofer is $823 with the assembled MDF enclosure. All you need to do is finish the enclosure by painting, veneer, laminate, etc. The dual woofer system or pair of the Power15.2 subs would be $1646. You can also build your own enclosure from scratch and save some money. CAD drawings of complete plans are on the website. Suggested amp for the single woofer system would be a Crown K1, or a Crown K2 for the dual woofer system.
    The SVS subwoofers on the other hand offer great performance as well, but without regard to keeping enclosure size small. A pair of the SS tubes will take up much more room, each is a 16" diameter, 48" tall tube, I believe around 5 cubic foot internal. The SVS site states pricing is under $3000 for the pair of subs, 1000W Samson amp, and the ART 351 EQ.
    To sum it up, both the Power15 systems and SVS SS subwoofers will easily outperform systems several times their own price. If you want the DIY experience of building your enclosure, or just finishing your own enclosure, and you want the most bass in less space, then the Power15 systems would be a good choice, and are the ultimate in DIY subwoofers. If you want to buy a completed system, and have room for the two tubes, you can't go wrong with the SVS.
    John

4. KonradN

just scanned through the avs thread and this jumped at me.
    stryke will be offering a full production version of the single 15 stryke with dual 18 pr in the 22" cube starting this fall. Looks like svs will get some real competition soon.
    but then the price is set at $3000. Does that include an amp and equalizer/xover? If so what would be the price of the single passive subwoofer alone?

5. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    Konrad,
    I'm almost positive that is just for the passive, finished and packed 15.2 subwoofer design. Even at this price it is a steal in the marketplace. So figure most people would spend ~$400-4500 for this sub and amp. Of course one amp could be used to drive a pair for those who want to "kick it up a notch" [​IMG].
    Again though, out of human nature and nievety people will try to claim the absolutes of one being better than the other. Unfortunately there are really only 2 major similarities between the subs... They both offer phenomenal bass performance, and both use drivers OEM'd from TC Sounds (relatively different designs for the record). Beyond that, the similarities grow thin. So pick your poison, and enjoy.
    Mark Seaton

6. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

NonradN,
    Just figured I'd drop a quick note on what the $3000 subwoofer will consist of. This will be the subwoofer only, not amplified, and no crossover or EQ wold with it. The sub will have the single HE15 woofer and pair of 18" PR's. The enclosure will be very similar to that of the kit, but will be custom finished. Look at this picture to get an idea of one of the looks that will be available.
    [​IMG]
    All Power15 subwoofers will be custom built to order. The top and trim pieces are made of solid wood in your choice of oak, maple, walnut, or cherry as standard finishes. Exotic woods such as Teak, Purpleheart, Brazilian Rosewood, etc can also be requested, but at some additional cost. Grills will be made to cover the woofer if desired. The portion of the subwoofer that you see black will be finished with a custom Wilson Art Laminate, or Numetal finish. The standard texture used will be the touchstone finish as it will be much more resistant to fingerprints, smudges, etc.
    I have available the entire line of WilsonArt laminates, as well as the WilsonArt decorative metals, and will be picking from the most popular ones to stock here. In addition to this, I have access to the NuMetal and Mirrorflex finishes from Advanced Technology.
    Feel free to look at the wilsonart and advanced technology websites to see more on their finish products.
    http://www.wilsonart.com
    http://www.advtechnology.com
    What this all means is numerous possibilities for custom finishes for anyone who wants to match a current room, or have a subwoofer that is one of a kind. Binding posts used will be similar to the "Supreme Binding Posts" listed on the Parts Express website, and high quality 10awg wire will be used to connect the woofers to the posts. Cabinets will all stand on custom, adjustible brass or chrome mounting feet.
    So for $3000 you could get a custom enclosure made to your liking, and pick up a Crown K1 for around $800. This would give a custom look system, capable of output levels on line with a pair of $3000 Velodyne subwoofers for about $2200 less. Don't worry, I'm not trying to make a sales pitch, just figured some would be interested to know what the completed system consists of. I also figured you may get some ideas for finishing your own enclosures from the wilsonart and advanced technology websites.
    John

7. KonradN

John,
    thanks for all the info. the finished sub looks beautiful and is certainly worth the money, but once you begin offering the finished sub in fall will you continue to support the diy community by offering just the parts like drivers and Pr by itself and also the subwoofer enclosure kit?