What's new

FYI:front baffle pebble-grain finish (1 Viewer)

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
i hope this helps anyone who is looking for this same type of baffle finish.
in a post a few months back i asked where i could get this stuff and the common answers i got were wilson art and formica. well some time went by and now i'm at the stage in construction where i need this stuff, if i could find it. so, after many emails and phone calls and sample requests from the laminate folks with no success(too pricey or out of stock :frowning: ), i made a call to my fav plexiglas store and found exactly what i was looking for.
its called hair-cell plastic sheeting. get this...12 bucks for a 4x8 sheet. it comes in .060 and .030 thicknesses. just look in the yellow pages for plastics:sheets,rods,tubes or under plexiglas.
lates
jeff

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
dave,

at the time all i asked for was black and they had it so i was in like flynn. so i just called the lady at the shop, she said they stock black and gray. she also said they can get other colors, but they had to order a whole pallet/skid for that and they didnt want to do that for just lil ol me. although i havent tried it, paint doesnt seem to be an option because it would fill in the texture. i give it a go this afternnon and see.

pat,

try back later today, i should have something up.

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

I missed that post. What about vinal or leather?. From a fabric store? One would have to glue the hell out of it so it does not peel up and be able to flush some veneer up to it. I did something similar a while back. Hope it helps

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
heya james,
i didnt want the "stage gear" look, so leather or vinyl was out.
patrick,
here are some pics. you know the routine, it may link for you, it may not. and of course the pics dont quite look as good as the real thing. btw, this stuff is pretty flexible too...it would easily curve around a roundover corner.

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
heya dave,
i did a lil paint test. looks like 3 thin coats of spray covers up the black. any drips or runs or thick paint spots would look like crap. the valleys dont fill up that much, the problem is the peaks show the black through the paint. however, flat black paint worked really well, it covered in 1 coat and took the shine right off. i will post a pic of a scrap piece i painted (2 coats). flat black in the middle with white and the ever popular high SAF mauve :rolleyes:on either end. same link above.
other things to note are: you can cut this plastic with 2 passes of a utility knife and a straight edge. as for attaching it to the baffle, i tested with a thin layer of probond polyurethane glue and it worked really well which gives you time for moving it around, unlike contact cement...that was a very much hoped for bonus.
as for finishing my project, heh, between work and equiping my new woodshop, well, the sub has been under construction almost a year. its a dual HE15.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks