FYI - Arlington/Alexandria, VA Comcast offering six HDTV channels

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EGM, Oct 31, 2002.

1. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

Dec 14, 1998
    I read the thread about the Time Warner in Florida offering HD channels through digital cable, and wanted to enlighten people in the Northern Virginia area that Comcast is starting the same type of programming with digital cable.

I was flipping through the channels about two or so weeks ago and noticed that Comacast had added six HD channels: HBO, Showtime, WETA, NBC, ABC and CBS. I called up customer service and asked how I could get access to the channels and if they offered an HDTV box, etc.

They informed me that all I had to do was make an appointment to get my cable box switched out with a new HDTV capable version and I would be in business. The kicker was that there was no additional cost.

As of last night, I am a satisfied customer. I have the Scientific Atlantic box hooked into my Toshiba 56H80 with component cables. Works flawlessly.

They haven't started promoting this service yet, so I wanted to get it out there to all of my Arlington/Alexandria, VA neighbors.

Get it while its free!

2. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

May 9, 1999

For the very first time in our four year relationship, my eye is wandering. It's pretty lucky for YOU that my cable company (Adelphia) is so bass ackwards.

Please tell me this will have a dramatic impact on STB prices!!!

3. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Sep 28, 1998
    I've been stalling on switching to satellite, waiting to see what cable may offer in the near future.

I have AT&T Broadband and have seen no hint of any HD plans from them, but they did just merge with Comcast, didn't they?
  4. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Oct 14, 2002

I live on the MD side of DC, and I thought that the Comcast service would be the same, but apparently not. The HD signals are apparently there, but Comcast of Rockville said that they're only offering boxes in Arlington. Also, they have no idea about HD services, just that it's "coming down the pipe." The worst part of this is the only way to convince my folks to get HDTV is that they wouldn't pay extra for their cable modem. Now, I bet they'll wait until hype builds in VA, then charge a couple of arms and legs to switch service. Why can't they just supply the whole area, if the signal's already there? Grrrr...