What's new

FYE "Sale" (1 Viewer)

Gary Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Funny thing. I stopped by one of their local mall locations yesterday to purchase Lonesome Dove (blu-ray), allegedly on sale for $27.99.

The disc was on display behind the sales counter with a sign indicating the sale price. However, when the sales clerk scanned the disc, it was priced at $32.99. I asked her about the discrepancy. She removed the sign, studied it for about 10 seconds, and then explained it was an old sign. I said "no thanks" and she then placed the "old sign" back on display!!

Great way to win over new customers, no?

......Now back to my regularly scheduled habit of buying online.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
FYI on FYE's "sale" prices: they typically require a $5.00 mail-in rebate or some other hoops to be jumped through in order to get the bargain discount.

Gary Miller

Stunt Coordinator
That makes sense, Brian. An expired $5.00 coupon explains the price difference and the clerk's delayed and perplexed response.

I would not have given this little incident a second thought or a mention, except that she dutifully placed the bogus "old" sale sign right back on the display...Thank you so very much, FYE.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
FWIW, in most states stores have to honor a displayed price, even if it is "old". Of course, you have to make them do it.

Of course, I don't know why anyone would ever shop at FYE.

Gary Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I know I could have pressed the point, but because they dispayed a blatant misrepresentation, I didn't feel right about giving them my trade.

The FYE stores I've noticed are typically in busy shopping locations (shopping centers, mall, near mall), so I suspect they count on impulse buyers. Still, I really don't know what the business model for FYE looks like, but I can't imagine loyal, repeat customers are part of the plan.

DenBob

Auditioning
Real Name
Dennis
I'm off-topic here, but it's getting more and more difficult to find a record store. Sadly, FYE is one of the only ones remaining. Now, we buy our music off the web or at bookstores...go figure.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
FYI about FYE....they are getting very aggressive about music pricing suddenly.

Their new price for all CDs is just $9.99. I picked up several at this price. All single disc sets & all genres.

Members get another 10%, plus they email coupons to save more. This gets very competitive with digital versions. They should have done this years ago.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They have also improved their Blu-ray prices quite a lot. One of the FYE stores I frequent has simply slapped a $5 off sticker on nearly every new Blu-ray in stock....in effect dropping the price on their entire inventory of new BD (I usually am shopping their used stuff) by $5.

Maybe they have finally gotten the hint that their prices were just too high.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Gary, and I apologize to anyone for saying this, but you screwed up.

Whenever you walk into a retailer, and if that retailer has an advertised price posted in the store, they are required by law to sell you that product for the advertised price, whether that is a price printed in their ad (by mistake) or whether the in-store display has it advertised at a lower price.

The minute you had that item in your hands, they had an obligation to sell you that item at the lower price. I would have talked with their store manager or asked to speak with their District Manager.

Now, if it was indicated on the sign that it required a mail-in rebate, that would be different.

The minute you had that item in your hand, that employee was required by law to sell you that item at the lower price indicated, otherwise, they're violating your consumer rights and you not only have the right to file a complaint with your state attorney general, but, you can also file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

I ran into similar problems at Target and Best Buy. Target will always give you the lower price since it was the mistake of their own employees and Best Buy will try to wiggle out of it if you don't know what your rights are.

JPcommanderLTD

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
FYE is as big a rip-off as Sam Goody was... even worse is Borders Books. The best record store is Newbury Comics, and for run of the mill music Best Buy.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Michael:

Define "rip-off." What's your beef with FYE? High prices?

I've posted above that I think they have improved their pricing structure quite a lot recently. Maybe not as good for CDs as Best Buy in your area, but I don't completely ignore them anymore when in the market for new software. I would hardly paint them with the "rip-off" brush.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Michael:

Define "rip-off." What's your beef with FYE? High prices?

I've posted above that I think they have improved their pricing structure quite a lot recently. Maybe not as good for CDs as Best Buy in your area, but I don't completely ignore them anymore when in the market for new software. I would hardly paint them with the "rip-off" brush.

Oh I don't think he was that far out of line...prices may be a "bit" better but they are still in "rip-off" territory and out of touch with reality as compared to many other avenues to buy music or movies. Unless your desperate for a fix there are like 20 places (more really) that you can buy the stuff cheaper if you just look around both stores and online.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks