What's new

FXi30's or RTi38's for surround duty? (1 Viewer)

TommyWMedford

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all, I recently got a great deal on Polk speakers at Circuit City just under a month ago. For my surrounds, I went the FXi30's, which sound wonderful, but I was thinking about returning them for the RTi38's since I can get them for the same price new. The 38's use a bigger woofer, and can handle more power than the FXi's. I'm not too concerned with them not being bipole/dipole speakers. What do you all think?

Denton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Denton
Tommy, I'm dealin' with the same kind of question myself. I've got direct radiator surrounds in a room that is far from ideal. I find that I'm not getting the kind of envelopment I'd like even though my speakers are arranged as ideally as the room will allow. So I'm considering using dipole surrounds...

If I were you, I'd ask your local CC if you could somehow audition the speakers in your home. My guess is that you'll have to buy them then use your return privileges with whichever pair "loses" to your ears.

Good luck.

Jonathan_

Second Unit
As a longtime Polk owner I would say stay with the FXi30's. I ran RTi28s for my surrounds for along time. Then last year I upgraded to the FXi's and fell in love with them. I have them mounted about 3 feet above my listening position and about 5-6 feet behind me. To my ear they seem to disappear during a movie. My front and back soundstage become seamless. I have never had a problem with them not being able to handle the load that my Onkyo sends to them. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks