Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
900x900px-LL-5199295f_sJT1p7d.jpeg

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
So who was Stephen Root's brother? Is it someone we know? I didn't quite understand why Malvo killed him after going undercover for 6 months to supposedly get to his brother who they were meeting the next day.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Malvo killed him because Lester said "yes". He pretty much blew the undercover job and won't ever meet the brother.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Can we go ahead and just all agree that Malvo has supernatural powers? If the finale doesn't show him to be the actual Satan, I'm going to start a backlash. (I'm kidding, but just barely.)

A few other notes:

[*]Did anyone else expect Billy Bob and Keith Carradine to throw down in the diner during the apple pie-scene? Phenomenal tension.
[*]I love how effortlessly casual Malvo is about killing. He's almost bored by it. I bet that his pulse never rises over 100, no matter how stressful such a situation would be for a mere mortal.
[*]Billy Bob's moment in the driveway with the family that bought Lester's house was fantastic. Gotta love how he enjoys the simple pleasures in life: giving kids nightmares.
[*]
Lester setting up his wife as a trial-balloon may be the shittiest thing he's done so far. Can't wait to see how this ends.

[/list]
If this thing sticks the landing with the finale last week, this will be right up there with Breaking Bad for me in terms of "holy shit"-quality.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
joshEH said:
Can we go ahead and just all agree that Malvo has supernatural powers? If the finale doesn't show him to be the actual Satan, I'm going to start a backlash. (I'm kidding, but just barely.)
I've thought Malvo is the devil ever since episode 1. I really hope he doesn't get killed or arrested. He should just disappear while everyone feels a slight feeling of unease.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
And given how many nods to other Coen Bros movies there have been throughout this season, Malvo being the devil would make sense (a'la John Goodman in 'Barton Fink').

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, I don't think they will, either; it'll probably end up being more of a vaguely-allusional thing in the end.

Speaking of Coen-references, loved hearing Stephen Root of O Brother, The Ladykillers, and No Country calling Malvo "friendo."

So -- what's Malvo's bodycount up to now?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It's great as a vague illusion.. because then you can think he is a nod that way. But I don't see any way that they just come out and state it.. that won't happen.
Still, what a great first season.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
The scene in the diner was flawless. It ought to be studied as an example of how to layer tension.

Mark_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Scott Hanson said:
So who was Stephen Root's brother? Is it someone we know? I didn't quite understand why Malvo killed him after going undercover for 6 months to supposedly get to his brother who they were meeting the next day.
His brother was someone in witness protection. There was a bounty out on him. Malvo mentioned it after his cover was blown. What I found amazing was Malvo posed as a dentist for six months and no one suspected.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, spending six months posing as a dentist and living a dull life in Kansas City seems like an awful lot of effort -- not to mention possible expense (he was living in a nice house) -- for a mere $100,000 bounty on Burt's brother in witness protection.

But then again, we also know that Malvo does things simply for the amusement of it, so maybe he enjoyed the challenge, plus the opportunity to lie low for a while after the very public Fargo syndicate-massacre.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Watching this in marathon fashion now. Reminds me of Twin Peaks with all the odd characters.I don' t know, I'm sort of digging it but that is only because of the character Molly Solverson. The actress does a phenomenal job(as does the rest of the cast but she really shines).Show has very funny moments so that's a plus. I'm 3 eps in so it might get a lot better, but I'll definitely watch it to the end.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
joshEH said:
Yeah, I don't think they will, either; it'll probably end up being more of a vaguely-allusional thing in the end.

Speaking of Coen-references, loved hearing Stephen Root of O Brother, The Ladykillers, and No Country calling Malvo "friendo."
LOL, I missed that.. Great episode!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks