What's new

FV-series WEGAs: Which picture mode do you use? (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to give my WEGA a thorough Video Essentials massage this weekend. "Movie" mode is too soft to my eyes. "Vivid" is a joke that makes me livid. So I'm planning on doing the VE treatment in "Standard."
What do you guys think? What are your WEGA preferences?
Also, doesn't it seem odd that "Sharpness" must be positioned at something like 30- to 40 percent? Seems high.
Thanks!
------------------
2001-a.jpg

CaspianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moe
I wonder what happened to you.
Are you happy with the set?
As far as the modes, all are 100 addressable in the service menu.
Another words, you can tweak them all to your liking in the service.
My sharpness turned out to be in the same ball park.
------------------

Carlos_R

Grip
Jack,
I used AVIA on my 32"FS12, and adjusted all four modes to
my preference as far as picture/contrast/temp...etc
I mainly use movie, and the vivid mode.
carlos_r

BrianKM

Stunt Coordinator
I assumed that the four picture modes were merely four different factory presets of the "normal" settings, and if one were to make all the setting uniform for all modes, every mode would yield the same picture. Is this incorrect? Do the picture modes extend into the dreaded realm of the service menu at all?
------------------

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Mahmood: So far, so good. Actually, I love this set--even though I had always told my self that I'd never spend this much money on an NTSC-only set. I have no regrets in the slightest. The WEGA should suit me fine for a year or so. (I can't believe how much better the resolution is than on the Tosh I have--which has now rotated over into bedroom duty.)
So's, I'm still planning on doing the treatment in "Standard" mode.
Carlos: Doesn't "Movie" seem a bit soft to you? May I ask, what are your settings in "Movie" mode?
I realize, of course, this conversation is soon going to be interrupted by the HTF shutdown this weekend, but please return to this little thread come Monday. Thanks, guys.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

CaspianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moe
"I assumed that the four picture modes were merely four different factory presets of the "normal" settings, and if one were to make all the setting uniform for all modes, every mode would yield the same picture. Is this incorrect? Do the picture modes extend into the dreaded realm of the service menu at all?"----------------
Actually no. Because each mode is preset with different values for gamma, black retention, as well as the SVM and so other processing circuitry.
You can make them identical in the service but not in the users menu. As far as which mode to calibrate and use, I have done with all and use them interchangeably depending on the situation. For example, Movie is set for DVD in dark, Sports for sports, Standard for news and etc. The reason for movie is some what softer than others is because of the fact that it bypasses some of the processing's and uses others very lightly.
------------------

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
With my previous set (36XBR250- which I believe to be VERY similar to the current FV's), movie mode was the only mode that turned off Scan Velocity Modulation.
It seems a bit soft, likely because the other modes have that "over-the-top, hyper-realistic" look to them. In those modes, I would miss things like facial details, etc. The properly calibrated Movie mode would allow me to see more of the detail. Of course, now that I have the Pioneer Elite 510, I see that I was STILL missing some of the detail. :)
What sort of DVD player are you using?
Todd

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Has anyone found information on precisely the difference between the modes, ie SVM on/off, etc.?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
My last Sony was a 98 model 35" XBR, last of the pre-Wega XBR models. It had the various preset modes like the newer ones.
I know for sure that "Movie" mode turned SVM off entirely, and that reducing sharpness to 0 would turn it off in any mode.
I found a 40-50% sharpness setting was about right in Movie mode, much higher than on most other makes of tv.
I too set up "movie" mode for dvd in a dimly lit room, with a separate set of adjustments under "standard" for cable and such in a brighter room. SVM actually can improve the appearance of some mediocre cable signals.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Mike E W

Agent
I calibrated all with VE and then adjusted vivid to a brighter setting for use in middle of the day, left movie as calibrated and use for DVDs only, standard is for regular TV viewing in normal (not overly bright) viewing, and pro is adjusted from VE for my VCR which needs a boost in tint for some reason. I notice DRC progressive gives the picture a slightly grainy look when viewing regular TV or tape and I leave it in interlaced for those modes (vivid, standard,pro) DVD however looks better with DRC in progressive and so in movie mode thats how its set. Dont know if this has to do with the fact that Im using a prog player or not. That of course is all how my eyeballs see things. The important thing is that you can set the different modes to suit different conditions and your own tastes.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't think Movie looks soft at all. VE even states that once you have calibrtated your set, the picture may look soft at first, but you will get used to it and begin to notice the "true" detail. I find this to be very true, and prefer to use the Movie setting while watching DVDs. I only calibrated Movie and Standard with VE. I haven't found a use for Vivid, and I use Sports for, well sports or viewing during the day. I use standard for almost everything.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Interesting that this thread has come back to life. Which is good, because I've long since switched over to "Movie" mode. After living with the WEGA for a while, I've come to see that this mode offers a better picture.
SVM, of course, is switched off. But the so-called "Sharpness" control is set at approximately 20 percent.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks