Futureshop having Big Sale on TV on DVD (Canada Only)

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Greg Madsen, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

This was mentioned in another thread but I think it deserves its own thread.

Available in store or online (www.futureshop.ca). Free Shipping as always (They only ship within Canada).

Prices in CDN $

Ally McBeal Gift Set $16.99
    Angel - Season 1 $32.99
    24 Season 1 $28.99
    Dark Angel - Season 1 $32.99
    X-Files, The: The Complete First Season $49.99
    Firefly - The Complete Series $25.99
    Malcolm in the Middle - The Complete First Season $19.99
    M*A*S*H TV Season 1 $19.99
    King of the Hill Season 1 $19.99
    Mary Tyler Moore Show, The: The Complete First Season $25.99
    Married With Children - The First Season $29.99
    Shield - Complete First Season $32.99
    Simpsons season 1 is 15.99
    Family Guy - Volume 1 is 22.99
    Buffy Season 1 is 17.99
    Futurama Vol 1 is 19.99

Some of the titles are not currently in stock online but my experience has been that backorders do not take very long. If you place an order for more than one item that is out of stock, you should place a separate order as they wait and ship all backorded items in an order when they are all in stock.

2. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    That is some real good pricing, especially for The Simpsons.

Do you know how long the sale is on?

FWIW, Married With Children 1 on release was, and still is, $20 at Wal-Mart, so don't get that one at FS! Lousy PQ IMO, but really funny!

3. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

It usally says when the sale ends under the sale price. In this case it does not. Not sure how long the sale is on.

4. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Thanks for the info. Picked up several sets at the local store today. They had *no* idea about the sale, did not receive notice of the sale in a daily price update that they usually get. They matched the web prices on most stuff, but would not on "24". There was confusion on that one, two prices ($29 and $60) are on the web site, and until they find out... Because they were putting out about 20 copies of it, far more than would normally be displayed of just one title, I think it is on sale and they just don't know so will try again tomorrow when I check out the new releases. Communications breakdown.

Also, the two movie discs for $22/23 are worth checking out. I already have most of them so didn't pay huge attention to the titles, but got the Rundown/Scorpion King and Liar Liar/Bruce Almighty. Talk about some fast price drops.

5. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

Yes it is odd. The website lists two different 24 season 1.
    One is on sale, one is not.

6. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Yeah, notice that the Fox item numbers for "24" differ by one (16/17). The ones they had were ...16, but it's ...17 that's on sale. Look the same to me.

7. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    FWIW, the $29 "24" was a mistake, according to the people at the store, but all other prices were correct. The store was told not to sell any copies for $29, and in fact they removed ALL copies from display yesterday, to prevent any "accidents", and it was removed from the web site today. If anybody got one for $29, lucky them!

8. Elliott Willschick

Elliott Willschick Second Unit

The flyer has 24 advertised for $29.99 today. It's good until next week.

9. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

It is actually advertised for $28.99

10. Cliff C

Cliff C Extra

Wow! I can't believe some of these prices!
    Too bad I already bought all the ones I really wanted from the list [​IMG]

That's a great price for Futurama BTW. Definately worth it! Maybe it's time I finally checked out the Firefly set [​IMG]

11. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Yeah, I've been checking for "24" every day, and they corrected/updated the web site today... Too bad the returded manager at my local store HID all the copies (a la previous post), and didn't tell the employees where they are!! So, after my third trip, I still don't have it. Tomorrow...maybe...

Anyway, there are other season one sets on sale not mentioned in the flyer, but in this thread, so go by the thread. One not mentioned in either place is NYPD Blue, picked it up since it was only $20 (reg. $72). I have never seen any of these shows, all blind buys for me, cheap enough to take a chance.

Thanks for the info.

12. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

Wow. Can't find that one online. Damn. Nearest store is over an hour away. [​IMG]

13. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Greg: I take it you think NYPD Blue is good? I vaguely recall talk about it when it was new, so thought it worth checking out. There were only 2 more copies that I saw, and one was the French cover version. I could pick you up a copy if you want. If so, and if no English left, is French cover OK (I think it was identical content, would check again though)? Might cost like $10 to ship though, you know how postage is here (too big to sneak as a non-parcel item)...

I'll also take better note of what else unadvertised there is, even if it doesn't interest me.

Edit: DVDSoon states the French version only has 5 discs, and if true, something is different from the English package! So I guess you wouldn't want the French one in that case.

14. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Just came back from my local Future Shop......24 Season One was listed at $28.99 and Son Of The Beach was $19.99

The real shocker for me was seeing X-Files Season 1 for $49.99!!!! Good deal....I'd pick it up if I didn't already have it. I'm really tempted to pick up MASH Season 1 for $19.99 though.

15. Greg Madsen

Greg Madsen Second Unit

Thanks for the offer CraigF but I called the nearest store today and they are going to hold it for me. I was planning on taking a drive there soon anyway so I'll just go on Sunday.

I am not a regular viewer of NYPD Blue but I love buying TV on dvd and for that price I cannot pass it up.

Thanks Again.

16. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    OK Greg. I did finally get my "24".

FWIW the French "24" box says it has and shows the same 6 discs as the English version, appears to be the same content, but with a French box cover (JIC that's all that's left for somebody).

I didn't see any other unadvertised specials, but some stores might have some.

These sets don't seem to be moving at the local store...yet. They are not prominently displayed. We don't get the flyers in the paper until today, but some areas get them on Wednesdays (we used to). I expect lots will go tomorrow, that's why I wanted to pick up before the weekend.

17. LorenzoL

LorenzoL Second Unit

I want to thank Greg for advising us of this sale.

Well, I went to my local Future Shop in Kitchener and they only had left, copies of Angel, Dark Angel, 24 and NYPD Blue.

So I picked up the flyer and went to the Best Buy in which I was able to get copies of Buffy and Family Guy. They price matched and took off 10% of the advertised price which was pretty sweet.

Unfortunately, I'm still looking for the Simpsons and Futurama sets which I'll do in the Toronto locations before the sale is over on the 14th.

18. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I visited FS the other day and saw these one the rack at the last minute and my jaw just about fell off. I've been wanting quite a bit of this, but I'm too poor to afford it. Picked up Futurama and Family Guy there, went back down the next day and got King of the Hill and made a blind purchase on Buffy.

I checked out another chain (A&B Sound, FS's biggest competitor here) to see if they had Similar pricing. Buffy was the same price, KOTH was still regular price, and everything else was not available (I should have asked why).

The guy I talked to at FutureShop told me these were permanent prices, although I'm finding that hard to believe, and they wouldn't explain to me what the 24 situation was... but it's stil $29 on the website.

19. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

If anyone is from Toronto here could you confirm if any of the stores have the King Of The Hill Season 1 set in stock anywhere?. I never got around to getting the first season but I have the second season so go figure. This would be a perfect oppurtunity to pick it up now.

-Mike

20. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

Found 24 at my local FShop today.... now if they'd just get more Firefly!