What's new

Future Xbox Live pricing announced!!! (1 Viewer)

JayV

Supporting Actor
just about any cell phone headset will work
Many are far too quiet (maybe noise-cancelling stuff?). A $1 set from the dollar store worked great, except I had to lift the mike towards my mouth in order to not sound muffled all the time.

The $5 MadCatz is the best all-around solution, IMHO.

-j

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I'm stoked. 50 bucks a year is a done deal.

My suggestion for MS is to bundle the Xbox + Live for like 179. That would rock. Or, add in mechassault, counterstrike, ghost recon or something for 199 + live + xbox.

I think they would make a mistake of not having a Xbox live bundle this holiday season.

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
Smart decision to keep the pricing structure, everyone wins with those options. However, they managed to sidestep the additional game fee issue in the interview.

And what would an X-box Live article be without yet another attack on Sony? It's pretty funny they didn't mention any game titles during that rant. That, and if a "Live Clone" is truly in the works, Sony could seriously damage MS.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Im not a sony hater but lets be honest. Sony may try and come up with something like live but they are way behind at the moment. They will have people having to pay $50 for the ethenet adapter and then another $50 for the service, and then another $50-$100 for a external HD and so on and so forth. Unless they have the HD, patches wont be possible. Lets face it, games need patching. Not to mention Downloadable content. I said when PS2 first came out that sony was making a big mistake not having a ethernet connection built in along with a HD

capt

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Even so, if Sony can last through this generation and release their next console first or near the beginning of the next gen, then they're in the clear. Assuming that a HDD and ethernet are standard by then (along with other things), they just need to market the PS3 as "PS2 quality games with a HDD and online" and they're set.

The PS2 is already a smashing success. MS will never take that away, even if they can beat them in the online department. Videogames weren't big until everyone had TVs, and online gaming won't be big until everyone has broadband, so Sony still has some time.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Never say never. Remember Nintendo and Sega used to be kings of video game consoles and nobody thought anything would happen to them. Look now

capt

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Remember Nintendo and Sega used to be kings of video game consoles and nobody thought anything would happen to them. Look now
While you do have a point, Nintendo's actually doing pretty good in the console market and owns the handheld market, still makes some of the best selling games ever, and Sega's demise took a few years to begin. The main problem with Sega was just bad decisions, mainly about marketing and products. Sony already has this generation in the bag and just needs to keep from screwing the next one up.

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
Seeing how much profit they take in on hardware, it's not impossible to imagine a complete "PS2 online starter kit" complete with an adapter, HD, and 1-2 months free subscription.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Seeing how much profit they take in on hardware, it's not impossible to imagine a complete "PS2 online starter kit" complete with an adapter, HD, and 1-2 months free subscription
No profit is taken on hardware. Maybe by now the PS2 has pushed enough software that they are making some money on the hardware, but hardware sales without software sales results in bigtime losses.

They probably will at some point release a PS2 with a HDD, Network Adapter, online game, and a free subscription for a game. FFXI would be good for this, but the PS2 has already sold so well that few people would go for this.

If anything, they should do a HDD/NA/FFXI package, since FFXI requires the HDD to be used at all and the NA to go online.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I strongly suspect the HD will be bundled with FFXI in some sort of deal...

I think FFXI + harddrive + one month of play for $80 would be more tempting than EQ has been.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
would be more tempting than EQ has been.
Of course a 325 man putting all of his wieght behind a good sledge hammer swing thereby smashing my toes and fingers is more enjoyable than EQOA:D. (Its not bad at the start, but man its gets so UTTERLY B-O-R-I-N-G)

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
No profit is taken on hardware. Maybe by now the PS2 has pushed enough software that they are making some money on the hardware, but hardware sales without software sales results in bigtime losses.
Sorry, I should have elaborated on that. I meant to imply that at this point (to the best of my knowledge), Sony is actually turning a profit on hardware in addition to software revenue.

Either way, it's going to be a very interesting E3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks