Future upgrades

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Tom Fl, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Tom Fl

Tom Fl Extra

I am not looking to do any upgrades right now (just bought a lot of the stuff I have) but I already have the upgrade bug.

Here's what I have:

Sony STR-DE985 Receiver
    Older Sony DVD player (non-progressive scan)
    Polk RTi70 mains
    Polk CSi40 Center
    Polk FXi50 surrounds
    SVS 20-39PC+

The speakers are wired with 12 ga cable and the fronts and center are jumped with the same wire. I am happy (for now) with the Sony receiver as it will decode DD 6.1 and has adjustable low-pass filters for all speakers. I am also happy with the Polk's for now, despite most peoples opinion of Polk. I chose them mainly because of the $199 deal they were offering and they sounded the best (to my ears) of anything else at CC, although I bought them from Crutchfield. I bought the 20-39 mainly because the numerous recommendations on HTF and I wanted to buy something that I wouldn't need or want to upgrade in a year or so. I'm glad I bought it, really rattles the windows when I let it.

I want to eventually have seperates, better speakers, progressive-scan, DVD-A and front projection. Progressive scan won't do me much good right now since my Sony 32 is not HD-ready unless I get a one with DVD-A. I am thinking that my next logical upgrade is a good 5 or 7 channel amp, then the speakers or a pre/pro. I am thinking about going with a 5 channel amp, then adding a 2 channel amp later when I upgrade to 7.1 that will drive the mains in 2 ch as well as HT.

Please give me some advice as to whether I am heading down the right road or not. Or alternatives and other things I have not thought about yet.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

2. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

It sounds like a good idea. Does that Sony receiver have pre-outs? I think it does, so if it does then an amp could be your next logical step up. I think the thing people need to upgrade the most is the pre/pro since that is were most of the advances are coming from with all the new sound formats. So you might want to get a five channel amp if your receiver has pre-outs, then purchase a nice pre/pro if/when an established 7.1 format comes into the market.

As far as speakers go, mine always lasted until I've wanted to get new ones. I don't abuse my speakers so I've never once had a one break on me, and I think that's what most people experience as well. So if you're happy with them now, just wait until you get an urge to hear something better... and there's ALWAYS something better if you're willing to spend the money. Or you can wait until that 7.1 comes out, and purchase new speakers all around.
    And hopefully by that time, you'll be able to get an HD-DVD with 1080p output! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Tom Fl

Tom Fl Extra

I like the way you think, Greg. I double checked my receiver and it actually does not have 5.1 pre-outs. I remembered seeing 2 sets of 5.1 RCA's but it has two sets of multi-ins, one is 5.1 and one is 6.1. Looks like I might be getting a pre/pro before the amp.

4. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

If you do that, then you'll be able to use your receiver as the amp... But if you want to use 7.1, then I'd wait a while to see what happens to that format. The only good part of taking time to upgrade is that you have a chance to get an even newer model with better, updated features. The fact that your Sony doesn't have pre-outs is a major let down... But then, my receiver doesn't have them either so I'm in the same boat as you, so I feel your pain...

5. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

i just bought a sony home theatre system, on the back of the reciever , are also multi channel rca's

what is the difference between using them and using the wire connectors for my 5 speakers i am using now?

6. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor