Future system, thoughts please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Solberg, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Ryan Solberg

Ryan Solberg Auditioning

ok, I'm pretty new to HT, been in Car Stereo for about 18months now, learned all i could (and am still learning at a decent pace) and now i'd like to get into HT since i no longer spend much time in my car and spend most of my time in the Dorms here at school. i've pieced together my system and here is what i have...
    Fronts: Adire Audio HE10.1 Kit (same as Kosala's)
    Center: Adire Audio KIT81C or KIT LCC
    Rears: No clue yet due to money constraints, might just make some cheap ones from Audax drivers & tweets & make the crossovers, I'd get all the stuff from Madisound.com This would only be until i get enuf money to make/buy some decent surrounds, Maybe another pair of HE10.1's
    Sub: Adire Audio Tempest Sonotube 9.5cuft 20hz tune(flat to 23hz) with 200-250watt Plate amp.
    Reciever:Sony STRDE685 STRDE885 STRDE985... not really sure which one to go with, or if i'll even go with sony, i'm really up for suggestions on the reciever.here's my needs...
    1.Plenty of options/ connections
    2. under $400....but i can spend a bit more if you think it'd be worth the price increase.
    Should i go with 5.1 or 6.1? 6.1 would only mean it'd take longer to complete... is there much of a difference? seems like the differences between 5.1 & 6.1 would be minimal.
    I'll be running this off my computer for now, until i get both the space & money to fit a TV, so DVD & TV are not needed at this time. So there's my basic setup so far.... Speakers & reciever... What do you guys think about it? especially reciever wise?.... As you can see, i'm on a tight budget, so thats why i'm planing on making the Speakers myself (to save some money yet keep performance)... so when you give your input on my future setup... please keep in mind price.
    -thanks alot for your opinions guys!

2. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Welcome aboard HTF Ryan,

Looks like you've got a good start!

If I may, I'd suggest looking at the Pioneer 811 6.1 receiver. I own one and love it and it can be found on the net (or maybe price matched in your town) for under $300 I believe it was.

It is a highly regarded "budget" receiver that offer so many cool features. It sounds great with both musica and movies.

I'd go to Crutchfield.com and do a comparison of it with the Sony's stuff and also to see what features the Pioneer offers.

Good luck in your quest!
    Alfer

3. Ryan Solberg

Ryan Solberg Auditioning

just did a compare on Bestbuy's site (i like thier compare layout...side by side) compared 2 sony's & that pioneer 811.... it looks pretty good. I'll keep it in mind when the time comes to buy all the toys. It'll prolly be around jan/feb so i've got some time to think about it.

As for buying a reciever, i'd prefer to buy it retail and not on the internet, unless you guys no of a place that is very reliable and gives thier own warantees, or is Factory Autorized to do internet sales. I know enuf to know that i have the power to break anything that i can touch, so there for i'd like the ability to get it replaced in case i do in fact break it. any certain places that are good to buy from?

4. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Ryan,

Do like I did..I printed the lowest price from an internet retailer (authorized by Pioneer) and took it to a decent local A/V store and told him I'd buy that minute if he'd match the price...He did and I was happy.

Just a thought...maybe do it at the end of a month and perhaps the salesmen will be more inclined to want to wrap up his month end sales by giving you a deal. At least that's when I did mine.

5. Ryan Solberg

Ryan Solberg Auditioning

k... thanks for the idea

6. Darren_Fu

Darren_Fu Stunt Coordinator

Hey Ryan,

Sounds like a good setup to get you moving. I have to throw in my 2 cents worth. I have the Sony STR-DE985 Receiver. I have been very impressed with it and it has everything you could want for a decent not so expensive HT receiver. I got it through the net for like $385. 6.1 Surround Sound is sounding good to me. Any questions about that receiver just let me know by throwing down a post on this thread.

ThX
    DWF

7. Lorenzo K

Lorenzo K Agent

Another vote for the 811s. Cnet has a nice review on it. You can look up authorized dealers from Pioneers website.