Future Sonics Earphones For iPod

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Henry Carmona, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to Future Sonics for creating a great set of earphones/earbuds.

I orderd these from Future Sonics for right under $100 as they are currently on sale.

I dont have all that much experience with portable music devices or headphones. But i had tested 3 others before settling with these. The factory earphones which came with my iPod Shuffle sound pretty good, although you have to press them in to hear any bass and they arent very comfortable.

I first purchased the Yahba Opus earbuds and loved the look but they were actually a DOWNGRADE from the factory Ipod earbuds. I then ordered the Sony MDR-EX71's and HATED the look, sounded pretty good too but was a bit muddy and not very crisp.

Finally i broke down and bought the Future Sonics. Im like WOW! Beautiful, full bass. And the dynamics, voices, and highs sound really nice.

You really can hear parts of your favorits songs that you never really noticed before.

I wonder how much better the $250+ earbuds sound, haha.
    THese things rock! Good isolation from other noises/sounds in the room too. Much more comfortable than the factory earbuds thats for sure.

Im rediscovering my mp3's and really enjoying my little 1 gig Shuffle.

Highly Recommended!

[​IMG]
    Theyre ugly, but theyre suppose to be skin tone and not really meant to be seen.

2. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Interesting... thanks for the post. I just picked up a Zen Micro and feel the same about their "factory" buds:

Will give these a try !

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I've gone through a few different earbuds with my iPod, too. I hated the ones that came with the player (too uncomfortable) and tried teh Sony EX71's for awhile. I found these very comfortable, but phones overemphasized the bass, which was also too muddy for my tastes. I'm using Shure E3C earbuds right now. They are an improvement in sound clarity over the Sony's, but they do bump up the midrange a little.

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Try out the Shure E3C and Etymotic ER6P. The more expensive headphones can sound better but most only really shine with a headphone amplifier. I have Etymotic ER4Ps that are pretty good in stand-alone mode. Their bass is significantly better with a headphone amp...

5. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona
    Yeah, i tried to dig up everything i could on Etymotics earphones and most did talk about the lack in bass.

The Future Sonics got great reviews and they do have great bass. For the price, i think theyre a great value.

6. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Ordered a pair with some additional Large ear inserts. Total w/USPS shipping was 122.00, and received them in ~4 days. While their build quality was not overwhelming, they do provide outstanding sound from my Zen Micro !

Color is pretty nasty, but who cares.... I also should have ordered the Small inserts, so be careful if you are ordering before trying. The Large are similar in size to the normal yellow ear plugs you can get at hardware stores, and they just started bugging me after an hour or so.

Unfortunately one of the buds "separated" and is barely held together by the wire. Their website is very sparse on returns/warranty info, so I fired them off an e-mail at their generic "info" addy. Will keep everyone posted.

7. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona
    Wow, thats too bad about the bud.

You know, when i wrote them an email about my satisfaction with the sound i got a reply the next day thanking me for my purchase.

If thats the case throughout, i dont think you'll have a problem getting them replaced.

Im about to goto Loew's home improvement store and get me a box of 200 for $23 and just modify them. If they block out the noise as well as the factory ones, ill be set.

I think when you first put them in your ears theyre a bit strong and do put some pressure trying to open up, but that was only for a couple days.

Since i wear them alot, i dont even feel them anymore. just keep listening and im sure youll get used to it.

My shuffle is so small, i dont know how it has the power to make these sound so good. Hows the sound from the Micro?

PS-i should have emailed you before you ordered, but if anyone else is interested, shoot me an email and ill give you a $10.00 off code.

8. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    The Etymotic 4P + ear flange mod results in better bass than the stock 4P (sticks the driver closer to your ear drum). head-fi.org has tons of info about this and other headphones...

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Good Scott:
    Thanks for the review Henry, I definitely would like to get rid of the stock headphones which are really uncomfortable.

Evil Scott:
    +1 on the headphone amp comment. Talking about great sound quality on a miniscule ipod amp, dac, with 128kbps mp3s makes baby jeebus cry.

[​IMG]

10. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

E-mail to "[email protected]" never returned, but e-mail do "[email protected]" returned within a couple hours with an RMA #. Sucks having to pay shipping back... guess that's pretty much standard these days.

11. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona
    yeah, i had to pay shipping when i returned the Yahba Opus earphones [​IMG]

But its such a small box, it'll probably cost you $2.00 [​IMG]

12. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Ok - I am whining... :b

guess I hoped they would ship the replacements out before recieving the defective ones... I just don't want to be without them during the transit period !

13. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona
    Haha, yeah but at least you have the factory buds [​IMG]

14. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Coming in November:

[​IMG]

http://www.xtrememac.com/adapters/fs1.shtml

I love my Sennheiser HD280 PRO headphones, but it gives me headphone hair and is massive. I would never get the EM3's because it's damn ugly, but I am seriously considering getting the FS1.

15. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona
    I held off posting about the new Xtreme's cuz i didnt think there was much interest about quality ipod earphones.

Cmon Thomas, your not really concerned with earphones you cant even see are you? [​IMG]

Ive been enjoying my EM3's so much, i usually carry a few replacment plugs to let my friends listen and they are amazed at the quality and bass.

I do love the new xtremes, but they would have to be better than the EM3's. I cant see paying another $100+ just cuz theyre pretty, but ive been known to spend money for worse reasons [​IMG]