Future-Proofing. What should I add when wiring my HT?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tom Kay, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Tom Kay

Tom Kay Stunt Coordinator

Hello

I'd just like to get a further concensus on what cables/wires etc., I should add to my HT before adding the drywall.

I will pre-wire for 7.1, plus a satellite feed, even though I have no satellite dish right now. I'll leave an empty PVC conduit in my wall, with a pull cord inside, so I can easily pull through a satellite cable from my outside wall, and I'll probably do the same for a front projector, even though I currently prefer rear projection TV.

This is the thought process I am trying to go through.What else should I install wires/cables or conduits for? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. The goal is to install the drywall and not have to hack into it later in life.

Cheers, Tom Kay.

2. Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill Second Unit

You should do cat3/5 can't remember which one. That is what my electician friend told me.

Signed
    ED

3. ByronM

ByronM Auditioning

You would probably want to run Conduits and if that isn't possible run Cat5e for future proofing [​IMG]

4. Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill Second Unit

I knew someone would know the correct name[​IMG]

Signed
    ED

5. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

1) Alternate sub locations. Sub placement is tricky and you may end up wanting to place the sub in a much different location than what you pre-wired for.

2) Multiple electrical circuits: dedicated circuit for equipment and several lighting circuits, i.e. downlights, sconces, rope lights, reading lights, etc. Also, with that stack of Krell Monoblocks, you may need more than 15A [​IMG]

3) Don't forget the electrical outlet in the ceiling for the PJ!

4) Power outlet and screen trigger for motorized screen and/or motorized blinds/shades

5) Sub connection(s) in the floor at the seating location for a platform sub or bass shakers

6) Electrical outlet in the floor at the seating location for motorized / heated recliners, reading lights, etc.

7) "Front and center" electrical outlet and video/audio connections for Xbox, GameCube, etc

8) Probably best to big conduit (2" min) to ceiling location. Five RG6 video cables (RGBHV) can take up some room!

6. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

Tom,

Dave pretty much covered it in the previous post, but if you want to see what I've done take a look at my HT construction site, especially the "A/V Cabling" area in the "Construction" section.