What's new

Future Prognosis? : CRT vs DLP Front Projectors (1 Viewer)

Michael FF

Stunt Coordinator
I have been told that CRT's are on their way out as DLP's begin to dominate the market. Any truth to this?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Not quite yet but if the next generation continues to improve across the board then the case for crt becomes more difficult.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
Let's not forget about lcd projectors. I think that sony and sanyo and panasonic would argue that they are the future.

Michael FF

Stunt Coordinator
I had a Runco $18,000 Digital Liquid Crystal front projector set up beside a Runco $8000 Digital Light Processor front projector-----result: the liquid crystal image was inferior to the digital light.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Ok - assume I'm a front-projector dummy (not very hard to assume). CRT's are always said to produce the best blacks. What other ways are CRT's superior to digital projectors?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
For the most part, that's the essential advantage — but its a key advantage, given that deep, accurate blacks provide a projected image with much of its snap and dimensionality.

CRTs still excel at color rendition too.

But the disadvantages of CRT front projectors are considerable as well: weight, fussiness, the need for professional installation, exhorbitant cost, low light output (they cannot be viewed in anything less than a completely darkened room), etc.

DLP is fast closing the gap for such a new technology. As Neil indicates, in another model year or two it is going to be difficult to justify the $40,000-plus for a CRT projector.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks