What's new

Future Paramount Show Suggestions for Shout! Factory (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
ClassicTVMan1981X said:
Well, the DVD is itself a dying breed. . . so don't really count on this to last long anyway.
Not to sound like M. Twain but I think these demise rumours are "greatly exaggerated." There are still many people who prefer physical media to things like streaming. Many of us still want to be "own a physical product" rather than just view it and would still like to see the artwork and packaging on our shelves. I think unless another physically improved product to the DVD arrives, they will continue.

Many people want to equate this with the way records faded away in the mid 80's after the advent of the CD. It's really not the same. Even though the liner notes and artwork with CD's was much smaller, the consumer still had a presented package to view signifying ownership of that item, so that pacified many casual collectors, but streaming is different. Different animal altogether. IMO

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Lets put it this way:

Those of us that buy tv on dvd haven't changed gears and gone to streaming, and abandoned physical media. No, we are collectors, and an entirely different breed than the casual tv watching crowd that would be pleased to watch a show through digital streaming or what have you, and never re-visit it again.

We still support tv on dvd, and will continue to until the end. It is in our blood. We buttered the bread of this hobby from the start, and made the tv on dvd market a good business for many studios.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Bryan^H said:
Lets put it this way:

Those of us that buy tv on dvd haven't changed gears and gone to streaming, and abandoned physical media. No, we are collectors, and an entirely different breed than the casual tv watching crowd that would be pleased to watch a show through digital streaming or what have you, and never re-visit it again.

We still support tv on dvd, and will continue to until the end. It is in our blood. We buttered the bread of this hobby from the start, and made the tv on dvd market a good business for many studios.

Hard core collectors will still support DVD releases. Its the casual buyers who have abandoned the industry.

howard1908

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
howard hughes
Frank Soyke said:
Not to sound like M. Twain but I think these demise rumours are "greatly exaggerated." There are still many people who prefer physical media to things like streaming. Many of us still want to be "own a physical product" rather than just view it and would still like to see the artwork and packaging on our shelves. I think unless another physically improved product to the DVD arrives, they will continue.
Many people want to equate this with the way records faded away in the mid 80's after the advent of the CD. It's really not the same. Even though the liner notes and artwork with CD's was much smaller, the consumer still had a presented package to view signifying ownership of that item, so that pacified many casual collectors, but streaming is different. Different animal altogether. IMO
Well said!, DVD is not going away, streaming is just a way to watch things you really don't want to buy or test the waters for show or movies your not sure about purchasing, people seem to ignore the main reason classic TV on DVD is so sparse these days, lack of marketability on remaining unreleased products.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Streaming is a pretty soulless thing, it's not everybody's cup of tea so they won't support that business. I haven't so far. Physical media on the other hand will continue we're physical beings after all, even blank VHS tapes are still made and sold I know because I use them daily. It will be very interesting to see the next announcements from VEI, they're a bit of a TV cult label anyway, appears to be a solid deal they've got with CBS the wording used was that 'many more' titles are coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks