Future of standard TV's (non HD)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Cook, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

How long will our Non HD tv's be useful. I read that everything will be in HD in several years. What does this mean? Will our TV's be worthless?

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Michael,
    The standard analog transmitters will not be shut off until 2006 or until something like 90% of the people in a given tv market are capable of receiving the digital tv signal, whichever comes LAST.

Long before this happens, set top tuners capable of receiving the digital signal and converting it to an analog signal for standard tvs should be available for $100 or so. While these tuners may not output 1080i or any other hi-def signal, they will accept digital broadcast and convert it to 480i for standard ntsc tvs.

Your current analog tv will be useful either alone or with a relatively cheap auxiliary tuner until it dies of old age.

3. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

At the worst, by the time analogs are completely out of the marketplace, there will have to be a digital tuner for a decent price. So have no fear... even if the analog signals are shut off soon (yeah, right), a cheap digital tuner will allow you to receive all the 480p signals (seen in 480i) transmitted digitally -- DVD quality. It's a win-win.

4. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, I am planning to buy an HDTV ready TV in the next year, but was concerned about my Non-Hd Wega.

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I'm looking forward to all the analog TV stations being shut off, that way I won't have to look at ANY TV anymore! (If I get an HDTV, it'll be one without a tuner!) [​IMG]

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I expect an absolute minimum of 10 years before anyone even broaches the suggestion to turn off the analog

That and they're going to have to come out with boxes that let them readdress the numbers that display on your box. TV stations are very sensetive about "Branding" (NBC 10, FOX29, etc etc) and don't want to have to start w/ a new number. This already exists on cable boxes, tho is used more for catching cable pirates