Future of It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World with possible merger between MGM/Columbia or Warner?

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Good God, not Warners...

They've got enough of a back catalog to release without them acquiring even more titles. Though I'm sure there are folks at Warners dying to get their little paws on all the MGM titles...

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Good God, not Warners...

They've got enough of a back catalog to release without them acquiring even more titles. Though I'm sure there are folks at Warners dying to get their little paws on all the MGM titles...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
They used to own them not long ago, but MGM was set free. Warner kept the classic RKO, Warner, and MGM catalogs. MGM left with the United Artists catalog and the more recent MGM releases (forgot the cut-off date).

Regards,

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
They used to own them not long ago, but MGM was set free. Warner kept the classic RKO, Warner, and MGM catalogs. MGM left with the United Artists catalog and the more recent MGM releases (forgot the cut-off date).

Regards,

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

Warner never owned MGM. Ted Turner bought MGM's library in 1986. Later on, Turner's company was bought by Warner, which is why they release pre-1986 MGM titles. In a completely separate deal, Pathe bought MGM in 1990. To ease the cost of this purchase, Pathe sold US video distribution rights of MGM's titles to Warner. In 1999, MGM bought themselves out of the distribution deal, which was pretty financially harmful to them, from most reports. Despite both deals, Warner never owned the MGM corporation. Shortly after their purchase, Pathe sold MGM off to Kirk Kerkorian, who still owns the corporation to this day.

DJ

Bill Parisho

Stunt Coordinator
Oh boy! Sony takes over Mad Mad World. Let's see what happens next:
They re-release the movie on DVD in WS for a list price of $29.99 with no bonus features. Then they get around to a restoration in a special 2-disc edition with bonus features for $49.99.(I'd actually buy that one) Then they put out a Superbit edition with superb sound,no added footage, and no bonus features for $39.99. Finally they put out a single disc for $9.99 that can be purchased at Wal-mart for $5.50 but in full-screen only and no bonus features. Gee, I think I'd rather have Warners take MGM over. But of course,they'd probably put it out in one of those annoying snapper-type cases!
Bill Parisho

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
This is what IMDB writes in the trivia section: "A new print is being restored by Robert Harris, and so far 188 minutes of the original 192 have been discovered."

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I only wish I could interpret that remark to mean they were foolish for leaking the truth, not foolish for stating something untrue.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Glad to see you have your priorities in order. While both studios would probably do an excellent job with restoring the film, the DVD aspect isn't a big deal. Warner's phasing out snappers slowly... and usually when they do a DVD now, it's THE DVD. Most of their newer releases probably will be improved when the next format comes.

When Columbia does a DVD right (sadly, mostly pre-2002 DVD's), they do it right. I don't see a need for new editions of most of the Columbia Classics releases or Monty Python and the Holy Grail (subtitle issues aside).

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
It would be nice if WB put together a sister studio,division or something to handle MGM.

I agree WBs back catalogue is enough without having to wait forever for proper MGM releases.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I hope Warner buys MGM. I'm in agreement with JonZ and I also hope that if and when they do, they set up a sister division to handle the output.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

If Warner buys MGM, would I be correct in saying that Warner would own more than half of all the movies made after 1950?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Well, if Warner buys MGM, they'll have DVD rights/ownership from the following studios:

- near 100% of all surviving Warner Bros. (exceptions include Rope)
- 100% of all surviving MGM films
- Most of the retained United Artists films
- Embassy
- Orion
- RKO
- Columbia (a movie or two, plus some Batman serials)
- Paramount (Popeye cartoons, plus a few movies)
- Universal (a few movies)
- Disney (the Selznicks that they licensed to MGM)
- Allied Artists
- Monogram
- American International
- Polygram
- New Line Cinema
- Carolco

I think they only studios they lack or will lack titles from are Fox and Republic.

After the merger, Warner would have DVD rights to 51 of the AFI 100 films. They would also own DVD rights to 34 Best Picture Oscar winners. 26 of the top 100 domestic highest grossing films of all time.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
Which makes me want to repeat my comment; Warners has a large enough library to release without buying up thousands of other titles.

Not sure if Warners would leave the current division as it is all envelopr it all in their own policies...

Honestly, if all those Midnite Movies were titles owned by Warners, how many do you think would actually have been released by now?

I thought so...

Not to mention the thousand or so MGM employees that will be laid off by their acquisition by another studio...Nothings even been made official yet, and friends of mine who have been with the studio for 10 years are being told they'd be out on their asses.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Warner's releasing films at a lightning-fast pace now. Perhaps not a few years ago, but look at what they're doing now. They released all of their Marx Bros. films in one go, all their Hitchcock titles are coming, etc. Since nearly all of the Midnight Movies are AIP (and seem to have been kept in very good condition), they probably could have released them as quickly as MGM.

Warner would probably have to keep the MGM staff on hand, though. With that many films added, they'd need all the film preservation and DVD production people they could get.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macoco