Future of It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World with possible merger between MGM/Columbia or Warner?

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

What are the chances Sony will give a go-ahead to a restoration of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World if, indeed, Sony buys MGM?

Probably all speculation, but, perhaps, an infusion of cash will allow MGM to consider the restoration/conservation.

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

What are the chances Sony will give a go-ahead to a restoration of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World if, indeed, Sony buys MGM?

Probably all speculation, but, perhaps, an infusion of cash will allow MGM to consider the restoration/conservation.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Man, I wish Warner would buy MGM. Then we would know for a fact that Mad, Mad, Mad World would get a proper restoration since Warner is 100% committed to restore all their films.

Sony, or CHTV if you will, did restore Lawrence of Arabia with the supervision of Robert Harris (or was it Harns?
) and released an impressive Superbit Edition. We can only hope Sony will do the same to MMMW. In fact, I think Sony would be committing suicide if they didn't. Okay, maybe not something that extreme, but still...

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Man, I wish Warner would buy MGM. Then we would know for a fact that Mad, Mad, Mad World would get a proper restoration since Warner is 100% committed to restore all their films.

Sony, or CHTV if you will, did restore Lawrence of Arabia with the supervision of Robert Harris (or was it Harns?
) and released an impressive Superbit Edition. We can only hope Sony will do the same to MMMW. In fact, I think Sony would be committing suicide if they didn't. Okay, maybe not something that extreme, but still...

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Not liking this one at all. Sony is worse that MGM as of late. It does not seem like things will improve this way.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Not liking this one at all. Sony is worse that MGM as of late. It does not seem like things will improve this way.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am actually optomistic.

Sony is in far better financial condition than
MGM ever was and is known for doing many top-notch
restorations that include Lawrence of Arabia.

Robert Harris has worked with the studio.

I am going out to Sony studios this fall. I hope
to have the opportunity to speak with them about
Robert Harris' proposal for restoration.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am actually optomistic.

Sony is in far better financial condition than
MGM ever was and is known for doing many top-notch
restorations that include Lawrence of Arabia.

Robert Harris has worked with the studio.

I am going out to Sony studios this fall. I hope
to have the opportunity to speak with them about
Robert Harris' proposal for restoration.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Columbia is supposed to have a fantastic restoration department, so this may be a good thing.

Also, let us not forget The Alamo. Mad World's negative is probably OK, despite being cut down. The deleted material would probably need total digital restoration. On the other hand, the negative to The Alamo is supposedly useless and the deleted scenes are on the verge of being totally lost.

It would be neat if Sony would approve the funding for the two restorations as soon as possible. It would be a fine way to launch their new ownership.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Columbia is supposed to have a fantastic restoration department, so this may be a good thing.

Also, let us not forget The Alamo. Mad World's negative is probably OK, despite being cut down. The deleted material would probably need total digital restoration. On the other hand, the negative to The Alamo is supposedly useless and the deleted scenes are on the verge of being totally lost.

It would be neat if Sony would approve the funding for the two restorations as soon as possible. It would be a fine way to launch their new ownership.

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator
It is my understanding the IAMMMMW negative is not OK, cutdown or otherwise. I thought I read some discussion that some work had been done on conserving The Alamo a couple of years ago.

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator
It is my understanding the IAMMMMW negative is not OK, cutdown or otherwise. I thought I read some discussion that some work had been done on conserving The Alamo a couple of years ago.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerani53