Future of DD and DTS format competition with HD?

Ken Burkstrum

Stunt Coordinator
Most people claim DTS is the superior format, I believe because of the higher bitrate used. Now with both formats going the way of high definition lossless audio, are we gonna be able to tell the difference between the two?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

First, "because of the higher bitrate used" is a fallacy. Just because a codec uses more bits does not immediately mean it is superior (think MP3's vs Apple AAC vs. etc.). One thing is for sure, when "lossless" is the standard, we can finally decide if the "different mixes for DD and DTS" theory is true or not. Although something tells me this is probably just the beginning of the arguments over lossless formats.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Being one of those suckers
that bought a dvd-audio player & dvd-audio discs, over the past four years I've compared DTS vs. the hi-res tracks quite a few times.* Using my @$1,600 (not counting video components) surround system, I can hear the difference between them, but it's definitely not one of those oh-ma-gawd differences.

The most obivous difference to me are the higher frequencies: DTS has a slight graininess on some albums, whereas the hi-res tracks don't; DTS lacks the "fullness" (the only adjective that fits) of hi-res, but this is subtle; lastly, hi-res has an airiness but especially a sense of realism that DTS just doesn't have. It's this last aspect that keeps me looking for hi-res albums with music I like.

DTS can sound very good to me, nearly as good as a CD, and cannot quite match the "you are there" feel hi-res is capable of (48kHz/24bit and above).

Dolby? For whatever reason, this format never quite reaches the level of quality DTS does. I just find it hard to believe DTS' 1200-1500kbps data rate (non-movie discs) vs. Dolby's 448kbps rate means nothing. Because even on my mutt of a system, Dolby Digital consistantly has a softer quality than DTS. It doesn't sound BAD, just less detailed IMO.

And when I saw that the Pink Floyd Pulse concert dvd recently released includes an optional higher-rate Dolby track (640kbps), this convinced me even more of my feelings that DTS *is* truly better. Because why would Dolby do that if they felt DTS wasn't superior?

* these are not controlled scientific tests; system uses Boston Acoustic & Infinity speakers + $330 Pioneer DV-656 hi-res player.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
BTW: anyone know the percentage of HD discs that ACTUALLY include those lossless soundtracks we kept hearing about during the prelaunch phase? Those types of tracks take up a lot of precious disc space but the studios usually want to fill up their releases with bonus features (and with HD) interactive features.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GabeBillings