What's new

Future Hanna-Barbera DVDs (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVFan1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Benjamin Edge
With the May 20 release of The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show now less than a month away, now I would like to what future Hanna-Barbera (and some Ruby-Spears) DVDs are on the horizon for Warner Bros. Entertainment.

Here's my outlook on WBE's Hanna-Barbera/Ruby-Spears DVD horizon:
*The All-New Super Friends Hour, Vol. 2 (H-B) (the last 9 episodes; the very last one introduces Superman's most feared foe, the quite-unpronounceable Mxyzptlk)
*The Smurfs: Season 1, Vol. 2 (H-B)
*The Plastic Man Comedy/Adventure Show: The Complete Series, Vol. 1 (R-S)
*The Flintstone Comedy Hour (1972) (H-B) (the 1972-73 season Pebbles & Bamm Bamm segments are the bonus features on the already-released Pebbles & Bamm Bamm Show DVD)
*Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics: The Complete Series, Vol. 1 (H-B)
*The World's Greatest Super Friends: The Complete Series (H-B)
*The Super Friends Hour Shorts (H-B)

~Ben (ClassicTVFan1981)

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Handy III

I'm waiting for word on the next Tom & Jerry DVD release...which after 3 volumes of theatrical MGM H-B releases, would undoubtedly be the 1975 series! I also wouldn't mind seeing the original 1970 Harlem Globetrotters released, as well.

And don't you mean The Flintstone Comedy Hour, Ben?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

I'm kind of hoping for the Gene Deitch shorts to come out sometime (ducks head).

Another H-B production I'd like to see come out: the live-action Legends of the Super-Heroes specials from 1979.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'm still waiting for WB to release Jetsons Meet the Flintstones. Both shows are complete on DVD (except for the 80s season of the Jetsons), so what are they waiting for on the movie?

ClassicTVFan1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Benjamin Edge

They also need to release all the Flintstones primetime specials, including:
*A Flintstone Christmas (1977)
*Little Big League (1978)
*The Flintstones' New Neighbors (1980)
*The Flintstones Meet Rockula and Frankenstone (1980)
*Fred's Final Fling (1980)
*Wind-Up Wilma (1981)
*Jogging Fever (1981)

~Ben

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
My primary interests are as follows:

Vol. 2 of The Huckleberry Hound Show

Will Quick Draw McGraw EVER be restored? (The master prints were so very badly deteriorated that it was deemed unfit for immediate release at the time.)

Frankenstein Jr. and The Impossibles

Where's Huddles? (A Tenth Anniversary homage of sorts to The Flintstones as I recall watching in prime time during the summer of 1970.)

Ruff 'N' Ready (the bridge between Tom & Jerry and all which followed after the M-G-M animation dept. shutdown).

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I've said it before but I'll reiterate.

ABBOTT & COSTELLO

When I was a kid in the 80's, I had a VHS tape chock full of A&C cartoons. What was cool about it is the fact that Bud Abbott provided the voice work for his own character. I'd pick this up in a heartbeat if it were to ever become available.

Here's a clip of the opening credits for those who are unfamiliar:

YouTube - Abbott & Costello TV cartoon intro (1966)

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Have any Ruby-Spears shows come out on DVD at all?

I'm still hoping for Thundarr the Barbarian someday.

ClassicTVFan1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Benjamin Edge

AFAIK, only "It's Punky Brewster", "Rambo" and "Skysurfer Strike Force."

Again, that is the whole point of why I started this thread in the first place.

When WBE decides to issue more H-B and R-S related DVDs, I think they ought to resurrect the front cover art used on the mid 1980s Worldvision VHS derivations (with either HANNA-BARBERA or RUBY-SPEARS, in the 1977 Hanna-Barbera logotype called Bimini, on the top of this art).

Mark Y

Screenwriter

Nah, they should do them in the style of the old Columbia home movie editions, maybe with a sticker on the cover that says "DVD" instead of "Super 8!"

In fact, they should have included the home movie "Flintstones" and "Jetsons" cut-downs as bonus features!

Mark Y

Screenwriter

Through some bizarre set of circumstances, it appears (from searching some copyright info online) that WB actually owns these! (At least in the U.S. -- I'm not sure about internationally, so that may be another issue.) Apparently, the copyrights were in the name of RKO, which got bought out by Turner, which got bought out by WB. So who knows...maybe some day. (Unlike the Laurel & Hardy cartoons, Larry Harmon had nothing to do with these.)

Actually, they could have included at least some of them as bonus features on some of the DVD releases of the A&C movies. But they didn't. (WB still controls Rio Rita, Abbott & Costello Meet Captain Kidd, and Jack & The Beanstalk - though the latter is public domain. I'd love to see a set come out, maybe with the also public domain Africa Screams, to round things out.)

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
omg I had a massive list of shows and the page refreshed and i lost them all arghhh, spent over an hour or so compiling it I give up I want basically all the shows ever made by Hanna Barbera especially the ones based on movie and live action series, plus any Scooby, Tom & Jerry, Flintstone, Superfriends type show and Captain Planet & the Planeteers

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I would like to see one of the other Yogi Bear shows on DVD. "Yogi's Gang", "Yogi's Treasure Hunt" or "Yo, Yogi!" Since they are not going to release any more Huckleberry Hound or Quick Draw McGraw, then this would be the next best thing.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

TVShowsonDVD reported that this issue also stopped a planned release of Wally Gator (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Qui...w-McGraw/5006), along with the "disappointing sales" of Huck S1 and Yogi. Earl Kress speculated that music-rights issues might also have affected Quick Draw (http://www.mynameisearlkress.com/weblog/?p=162). Magilla Gorilla eventually came out, but with very poor visual quality (at least going by some clips on YouTube at the time of release -- I didn't buy it).

I suppose all we can hope for as far as HB's early output is concerned is either a change of heart or a change of management at WB's family division (which unfortunately still handles these properties). If these shows ever do appear on DVD, Warner should strive to release and market them more effectively -- both Huck and Yogi were excellent releases (if you haven't bought them yet, please do!), but came out at a highly competitive time of year and received virtually no promotion. Packaging them as standard kiddie-fare didn't help, either.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

I wouldn't go by a You Tube posting as an indication of DVD quality! (Sheesh.)

I have the Magilla Gorilla DVD set and there are a few cartoons that were transferred from old 16mm TV prints, but most were from 35mm. All look as good or better than they originally looked on TV. They did mess up in not including any version of the show opening or closing anywhere on the set (apart from the clip included in the "Here Comes A Star" preview special) but compared to the VHS days, when most H-B series were represented by one 50-minute compilation tape, this is great!

All the issues you mention above, though, have contributed to these sets not being nearly as successful as they could have been. A major part of the problem is their being marketed towards children. That's fine for Scooby and the Flintstones, who have continued to air on a regular basis. Contemporary kids know who they are!

Things don't look good for future releases of classic Hanna-Barbera, though. They've been cutting corners all over the place. If something ran more than one season, now it would probably go over the current budgets for these projects. (Notice how these sets have gotten slimmer and slimmer?)

I would love to see the rest of the vintage H-B catalog come out...I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't release "Peter Potamus" along with "Magilla Gorilla." They were syndicated together after their original run (Channel 32 in Chicago aired all the cartoons together under "Magilla Gorilla"). (I know there are people who feel that "Potamus" wasn't as good, but they were pretty much "twin shows" in the same sense that "Huckleberry Hound" and "Yogi Bear" were "twin shows.")

Yeah, I did read music licensing issues were the main factor in "QDM" not coming out. It's a shame.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I'll add to the list that Chris and Mark came up with on why the H-B box sets have not sold well.

Another major contributing factor is that the cartoons are only shown on the Boomerang cable channel which most homes do not get. About the only way to get Boomerang is by DirecTV or DISH satellite networks. These shows need to be on more mainstream cable outlets that TimeWarner own like: Cartoon Network, HBO Family, TNT, TBS and Turner Classic Movies. The Hanna-Barbera shows need more exposure on TV than what they are getting. Before Ted Turner bought Hanna-Barbera, some of the shows showed up regularly on The Disney Channel!!!

It is not just Warner Home Video that is killing these characters off with bad management and marketing decisions, but it also being done by segregating these characters to being aired on Boomerang only.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

Hi Mark. I see where you are coming from here, but let me explain: the YouTube video I'm speaking of is the Chugga montage (. Watching it you can see the print quality vary from clip to clip, from pale and washed-out to oversaturated and back again, sometimes sharp, sometimes soft; not what we have come to expect from Warner, in spite of the company's other failings. People have posted on other blogs and forums that it's a pretty good indication of the variable quality of the DVD, the limitations of YouTube notwithstanding. Agree wholeheartedly with your other remarks, though.

The problem, as has been stated again and again here, is that the HB material (and the MGM theatrical cartoons) are handled by Warner's family division, which just can't get its collective head round the idea that the primary audience for these works is adults. The efforts of historians such as Earl Kress succeeded in getting some collector-oriented material on past sets, but the overwhelming tendency on the part of Warner is to produce, package and market these shows at kids. But because today's kids haven't heard of these characters, they don't buy them. And because most adults think they are aimed at kids, they don't buy them either.

Warner should take another crack at this, using one of the unreleased shows -- Quick Draw would be perfect: restore it properly, add original intros and bumpers where available, commentaries from animation historians and intelligent, informative documentaries, and market it directly at collectors and other adults looking for a nostalgia kick -- forget about the child audience. If that doesn't sell, *then* pull the plug, but Warner shouldn't claim there isn't a market when it isn't trying to find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks