What's new

Directors Future Classics - A Movie Tournament (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Jen, Robocop was already in.

The list is updated and we had 123 films. I took the liberty of filling it out with the following favorites of mine:

The Abyss
Gettysburg
Limbo
The Sweet Hereafter
Tucker: The Man and His Dream

I've left the list of nominations in place in case you'd like to compile a wild card list - say 64? Or we could try and make it to 256. Or should we just run with the 128 that we have? It's your call. :)

If you'd like to continue, everyone that has participated thus far gets five more noms and seconds.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, if it continues, I certainly want to second

Miller's Crossing

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
There's a lot of great movies left! 256 sounds good to me :emoji_thumbsup:

I'll nominate:

True Romance
Jacob's Ladder
Romancing the Stone
Starship Troopers
The Others
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Second:

Good Will Hunting
Lost Highway
The Killer
Interview With the Vampire
Leon the Professional

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I nominate:

IRREVERSIBLE
THE HITCHER
PRINCE OF DARKNESS
GINGER SNAPS
AUDITION
FRAILTY
DELLAMORTE DELLAMORE
WILD AT HEART
eXistenZ
THE GIFT
PHENOMENA
TENEBRE
STIR OF ECHOES- If SIXTH SENSE can get in, this and BLAIR WITCH should be shoe-ins.

I second:

TRUE ROMANCE
JACOB'S LADDER
STARSHIP TROOPERS
THE OTHERS

If someone nominates HEAVENLY CREATURES, I'll proudly second it!

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Nominate:
Aladdin
Ghost
Driving Miss Daisy
A Bug's Life

Second:
Planes, Trains & Automobiles

1 nom, 4 seconds left

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
This tourney is rapidly losing its meaning, in my opinion. People are obviously nominating films that are personal favorites, instead of films that will be remembered half of a century from now.

JenB

Screenwriter
Who is to say that all of these films will not be remembered half a century from now?

Classic is a relative term. What is a classic to you might not be a classic to me and what is a classic to me might not be a classic to you. As an extension of that, what might be considered a classic in China, Japan, or India might only be considered a classic to a small minority in the US (and, of course, vice versa).

There will probably be millions of people fifty years from now and probably at least a million different opinions of what movies from this time period are considered classics to each one of them just as there are many varying opinions about what is considered classic today. Try to open your minds and realize the huge quantity of different opinions that might make hundreds of movies classics to different people both today and in the future throughout the world.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
If you look at the films that have become classics, it isn't very difficult to determine which films will be remembered several decades from now.

I don't think that classic is a relative term. Classic pertains to whether the film is to be remembered by a considerably wide variety of people, not a single person or a minority group of people. Classics are not always good films, and that is when the differing opinions come into effect. For example, Gone with the Wind and Taxi Driver are regarded as classics by many people, and I won't deny that, but whether I think they are good films is a different story. The same goes with The Lord of the Rings, I have no doubt that these films will become classics, but that doesn't mean that I will change my mind and start liking them.

JenB

Screenwriter
Yes, Bill but how do you define "considerably wide variety"? Does that mean thousands or millions? Does that include only the US or all over the world? How do you define a minority group? Does that mean hundreds or thousands of people to you?

Keep in mind also that movies that are "personal favorites" of many people often become classics to those people and the many thousands of people who feel the same way.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

You must be new here, Bill. ;)

Don't you know how many people change these tourneys into whatever they want them to be, bending the instructions in whatever direction they want to? I could give an excellent, specific example, but I don't feel like being attacked for pointing it out again.

JenB

Screenwriter
It is a shame that so many of you insist on being so negative. Alas, we shall just have to agree to disagree on this like many things. If you are really that unhappy with a tourney, then just don't participate.

JenB

Screenwriter
Nominate:

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
The Addams Family
Beetlejuice
Men in Black
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks