Future Buffy DVD releases for R1 and R2 - interview with FOX

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Simon Massey, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
  2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

4. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

You would think that when a studio makes a pilot or whatever, they'd be sure to get the talent, unions, etc., to sign a standard release that would allow the studio to use the finished product however they see fit. The standard photo release form that I use as a photographer covers all of these bases.

5. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I'm more intrigued by the idea that Buffy The Musical might have some song rights problems if they tried to put the full-length version on. Err. What? I thought it said at the start that Joss wrote them all...

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

You'd think that, but considering how a pilot can be a two-or-three layer deep work for hire (the "Buffy" pilot, for instance, is paid for by The WB Network, a partnership between Warner Brothers and Tribune Media, owned by Twentieth Television, and produced by Mutant Enemy with the participation of Kuzui and Sandollar productions), often with fairly specific rights assigned to each party... I mean, TV contracting and financing is ugly. It might be a case of union contracts specifying exactly what can be done in certain circumstances, but requiring renegotiation for something outside those circumstances; there was actually a stink a couple years back about actors not getting compensated for having their likeness used in DVD menus, since it wasn't in the original contracts.

7. ChrisLee

ChrisLee Stunt Coordinator

I'm confused. What is he talking about when he refers to the long version of the musical? Is this the one that was originally aired on UPN? If there was a different version of the muscial I would assume that its the syndication version. If that is the case what kind of "rights" problem could there be since they only cut like 10 or so minutes out?

8. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

9. Jeff Kleist

But you see, he said that they never even really tried, that's a no-no in my book. This is a most wanted extra, and if it isn't Bizarro Willow holding it, or disc space, then TRY to include it in ONE of the sets at least.

Yes, I'm sure that Mr. Staddon was just covering his butt, since Joss wrote all the songs, and close friend, and music scribe (for the first 3 seasons) Christopher Becke wrote the music, I don't see any clearance problems ahead

I fully support a separate release, so long as nothing is left out of the season box that is on the single. This episode deserves its own disc no matter what.

Anamorphic (it's a given, but let's go for completeness)

5.1 DD/DTS tracks

Commentary by Joss "Most Perfect" Whedon

Commentary with the cast & crew (including choreographers and composer)

Isolated music/karaoke track (NO VOICES. I was so mad with Little Shop when they pulled that)

Karaoke subtitle track (with bouncing ball!)

Tons of making-of stuff, more in depth than the EPK on the website. Rehearsal footage, recording of the singing, all that.

10. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Jeff, you forgot to add 'World Peace' and 'The Love of a Good Woman' to that list![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

This makes me glad I've already got the musical episode on DVD.

(goes back to hugging his panasonic recorder)

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

So what was cut? I've only seen the originally aired episode...

-Dave

13. Jeff Kleist

Nothing is cut, it's just that they shot a 30min pilot with a different Willow, and all on location at Torrance High School. It's basically a "proof of concept" film

14. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Sorry, I was vague in my post - I was referring to "Once More, With Feeling". I've listened to it so many times now that I can't imagine anything being cut.

-Dave

15. Jeff Kleist

Dawn's Ballet is cut, as is the overture. There are other little trims to equal a total of roughly 6 minutes.

If you look on the Bronze, Lord Whedon published a complete list of the edits