Future Amp upgrades for $1500 or less

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamieS, Feb 28, 2003.

1. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

Good thing my wife doesn't read this forum as she would kill me for even thing about this.

Sometime in the next 6-8 months we will move into a house with a room I can have just for HT. I'll be keeping my Monitor 7s CC370 and PW 2200 Sub. I'll probably sell or trade my Denon 1603. For $1500 US (or less) what would be my best options for an upgrade either as a reciever or if possible a processor and separates of some type. I know $1500 is not a lot but when you consider my current reciever is about $300 US ($600 Canadian) it would be a big deal to me (and even bigger to my wife). Just want to dream alittle and maybe start sneaking money in to a "separate " (pun intended ) account for when the day might come.

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

You are better off to go to seperates..my opinion..outlaw is one option. You can always go the used route...there is lots of stuff out there..
    I am going that route. I own a Pioneer 811 and I am going to probably add a parasound to it..already demoed one and it sounded a lot better...more depth, clarity and bass.

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I've heard good things about the Outlaw 950 ($900). Then a 5 channel amp such as the Parasound HCA-855A which goes for around $350-400.

Or a Rotel 1066 for $1200, and a used amp.

I don't think there are a lot of choices for separates in the $1,500 range. I think the next price jump would be processors in the $3,000 range which would be the Anthem AVM-20.

Or consider an expensive integrated receiver like a Pioneer Elite.

4. Jim Garbern

Jim Garbern Stunt Coordinator

As mentioned, the Outlaw 950 is the least expensive pre/pro out there, and the new version seems to have the main bugs worked out (I'm happy with my 'red dot' version). Outlaw is coming out with an economy 7 channel amp. The whole package can be had for $1700 (US). Their cables are nice, so don't forget to add those to the upgrade costs, more if you plan on adding SACD or DVD-A.
    Outlaw package